machine-to-machine interfaces and protocols of electronic communication microcontrollers wireless communication RFID Energy harvesting technologies sensor technology Location technology Software IPv6
Logistics – Tagging items on a UPS truck (now they use barcodes to be scanned) but not real-time. Using the newer technology all is in realtime.
Legislation: mandatory that policy keeps up with technology so that citizens gain confidence in the new technology People’s momentarily context and roles can determine their attitudes towards new technology. An employee will resist his boss’ access to his or her mailbox while the same person may demand the same insight into the mailboxes of subordinates.
Analytics, Machine Learning and Internet of Things
Analytics, Machine Learning and Internet of Things
Roll no.- 4628
Department of Computer Science & Engineering19-11-2015 1
“Data is the new OIL”
Department of Computer Science & Engineering 219-11-2015
• Data is the new “OIL”.
• Data is out there and is free (Open data).
• It provides no competitive advantages.
• Finding patterns in data is the holy grail (the oil!).
• But only few devices out there provide and share data.
• There is where the IoT plays its part.
• It makes commonly used devices connected to internet
extract data from it.
Department of Computer Science & Engineering 319-11-2015
What is Internet of Things
Department of Computer Science & Engineering 419-11-2015
The Internet of Things
“Internet of Objects” “Machine-to-Machine Era”
(2) Internet of Things refers to the concept that the
Internet is no longer just a global network for people to
communicate with one another using computers, but it is
also a platform for devices to communicate electronically
with the world around them.”
Center for Data and Innovation
(1) The Internet of Things, also called The Internet of
Objects, refers to a wireless network between objects,
usually the network will be wireless and self-configuring,
such as household appliances.
“Internet of Everything”
Department of Computer Science & Engineering 519-11-2015
• The term Internet of Things was first used by Kevin Ashton
• Internet of Things shortly called as IoT.
• The Internet of Things (IoT) refers to the ever-growing
network of physical objects that feature an IP address for
• And the communication that occurs between these objects
and other Internet-enabled devices and systems is termed IoT.
• In short every device you interact connected to a network.
Department of Computer Science & Engineering19-11-2015
Demonstration from Intel Corps.
Department of Computer Science & Engineering 719-11-2015
• Internet is not smart enough.
• Heavy spamming and cheating.
• Deep web or Mariana's web promoting underworld crimes.
• Not reachable to rural areas.
• Slow uplink and downlink time.
• Only limited to computer, TV’s and mobile devices.
Department of Computer Science & Engineering 819-11-2015
Internet Usage and Population
Department of Computer Science & Engineering 919-11-2015
Typical Views of the Internet
Industrial Automation Smart Health
Smart Home Smart City
Department of Computer Science & Engineering 1019-11-2015
RTOS Sensor Smart Tech Nano Tech
and track the
the data to
the power of
the network by
of the network.
To make the
the ability to
Department of Computer Science & Engineering 1119-11-2015
• How to construct computer programs that automatically
improve with experience ?
• Think of it as foot wears we wear in time adjust to our foot
pattern, Such should a computer program.
• If our mothers knows what we need at what time then why
can’t an advanced algorithm can’t.
Department of Computer Science & Engineering 1219-11-2015
Machine Learning and IoT
• Google's acquisition of Deep Mind Technologies
• In 2011, Stanford computer science professor Andrew N.g
founded Google’s Google Brain project, which created a
neural network trained with deep learning algorithms, which
famously proved capable of recognizing high level concepts,
such as cats, after watching just YouTube videos--and
without ever having been told what a “cat” is.
• Implementation digital assistants in every modern
computational devices like Cortana, Google now, Hound,
Department of Computer Science & Engineering 1319-11-2015
What problems can machine
• Spam Detection
• Credit Card Fraud Detection
• Digit Recognition
• Speech Understanding
• Face Detection
• Product Recommendation
• Medical Diagnosis
• Stock Trading
• Customer Segmentation
• Shape Detection
Department of Computer Science & Engineering 1419-11-2015
Applications of IoT
Department of Computer Science & Engineering 1519-11-2015
Analytics with IoT
What is ANALYTICS ?
• Data analytics (DA) is the science of examining
raw data with the purpose of drawing conclusions about that
• Data analytics is used in many industries , companies and
• They help make better business decisions and in the sciences
to verify or disprove existing models or theories.
Department of Computer Science & Engineering 1619-11-2015
• Iot with analytics is called as IoTA.
• It is different from web analytics.
eg. – Google analytics
• Tellient is one such platform which collects analytic data.
Department of Computer Science & Engineering 1719-11-2015
Future works and projects
• Many projects came to life recently.
• Google separated as a separate company focusing on IoT.
• Release of Windows 10.
• Next BIT mobile OS released at TTIA on 15/09/2015.
• 5G commercial release by 2018
• Newer USB type C/3.1
• At Google I/O 2015 developer conference few beta IoT projects were shown,
they are –
Project Fi – Hotspot 2.0
Department of Computer Science & Engineering 1819-11-2015
Windows 10 IoT core edition
for Raspberry PI
Department of Computer Science & Engineering 1919-11-2015
Department of Computer Science & Engineering 2019-11-2015
Department of Computer Science & Engineering 2119-11-2015
Department of Computer Science & Engineering 2219-11-2015
Project Fi ~ Hotspot 2.0
Department of Computer Science & Engineering 2319-11-2015
Department of Computer Science & Engineering 2419-11-2015
Department of Computer Science & Engineering 2519-11-2015
Department of Computer Science & Engineering 2619-11-2015
Department of Computer Science & Engineering 2719-11-2015
Department of Computer Science & Engineering 2819-11-2015
Challenges and Issues
• Society: People, security, privacy
• A policy for people in the Internet of Things:
• Environmental aspects
• Resource efficiency
• Pollution and disaster avoidance
• Architecture (edge devices, servers, discovery services,
• Governance, naming, identity, interfaces
• Service openness, interoperability
• Connections of real and virtual world
Department of Computer Science & Engineering 2919-11-2015
IoT will inherit the drawbacks of the current internet on an
infinitely larger, but more invisible scale
• Privacy – will be a huge issue when implementing IoT
• Identity - Online Fragmentation of Identity
• Efficiency – speed - person loses identity and is an IP
• Decisions – do not delegate too much of our decision
making and freedom of choice to things and machines
Department of Computer Science & Engineering 3019-11-2015
• Transition to IPv6 – Internet protocol v6
• Establishing a common set of standards between companies,
educational systems, and nations.
• The same type of cabling,
• The same applications or programming
• The same protocol or set of rules that will apply to all
• Developing energy sources for millions -even billions - of
Department of Computer Science & Engineering 3119-11-2015
• Data is the new OIL.
• Completely connected world with help of IoT.
• Machine learning and analytics combined with IoT for
efficiency, accuracy, Prediction, Smartness etc as common
• It is the adaptive development of AI
Department of Computer Science & Engineering 3219-11-2015
• “Gartner Says the Internet of Things Installed Base Will
Grow to 26 Billion Units By 2020,” Gartner, 12 Dec. 2013;
Department of Computer Science & Engineering 3319-11-2015