Roseman University Library - APA Citation - Why citation is important!
In this presentation, you’ll learn:
• Various reasons why citation is an important
part of your research paper.
To support an argument
• Backing up your argument with facts makes it
Image credit: http://thinkingpharma.blogspot.com
To avoid plagiarism
• Plagiarism is representing others’ work as your
Image credit: http://mimiandeunice.com/2010/07/30/thief/
Show respect for others’ work
• Always cite others’ work that influenced
Image credit: John Wiechecki on Flickr
Display subject knowledge
• Scholarship is a conversation.
• Citing a source acknowledges previous parts
of that conversation.
(Association of College and Research Libraries, 2015)
Image credit: Graphic Conversation by Marc Wathieu on Flickr
• Cite required references in your paper so it’s
clear where the references were used.
Publisher or course requirements
• If something you read influenced your
thinking on a subject, cite it.
• If you quoted directly from something, cite it.
• If you paraphrased from something, cite it.
Library staff are here to help you.
o Call us
801-878-1020 (South Jordan)
o Text questions to 801-872-9715
o Ask a question online at
Association of College and Research Libraries. (2015). Scholarship as conversation. Framework
for Information Literacy for Higher Education. Retrieved from