Think of a conversation you had
that was really useful for your
• What did it feel like?
• What was going on?
• 5 key things that made it work…
Share with someone you don’t
What is it?
• Trust / integrity
• Intuition /
• Feedback /
• Challenge / hold to
• Listening (active?
• Process (e.g. T.GROW)
• Own the solution
• Realistic / Ambitious
• My solution
• Feel connected
• Eye contact
• Careful use of
What is most
How is your organisation
• Which of the 4 is it good at?
• Which needs some work?
• What effect are you looking for?
Think of a colleague?
• What’s working for them?
• Where might there be
• What question do you want to
A gospel according to
“Employee engagement’ is the
magical ingredient: it makes
staff genuinely committed,
creating excellent work.
Few organizations actually
achieve it, though all say they
Coaching is the most reliable a
way of producing it”
A Coaching Model
• Change you want
• Some exploration of reality now
• & their Consequences
• What are you going to do?
• How will you know its worked?
• Did it work?
You have thought
• coaching you’ve had
• the importance and power of
Engagement and Motivation
• where you and your organisation
are with these
And then you had a go…
Now go and coach!
Evidence – “its absurd to even tr y to measure so
abstract and evanescent an inter vention as
• Google - HR is replaced with ‘People Analytics’ (all about the numbers) but
“periodic one-on-one coaching which included expressing interest in the
employee and frequent personalized feedback ranked as the No.1 key to being a
• Highways England - A14 in Cambridgeshire – reduction of reportable incidents
after Behavioural Safety programme that includes 1:1 coaching.
• ILM - 58% said they felt more confident after coaching and 42% saw an
improvement in performance in colleagues who had been coached. 84% said
that coaching helped them in periods when they struggled to manage an
individual and 88% when they had struggled with a particular project.
• Boston Consulting - promotion rates have increased nationwide, 22% among