THANKSGIVING DAYThanksgiving day is celebrated on the lastThursday in November.
FOODOn Thanksgivingfamilies get togetherand have a big harvestfeast!They eat turkey,corn, stuffing,potatoes, pumpkin pie, ...Everyone gets a BIGstomach ache!
TRADITIONSOne of the customs onThanksgiving is beingthankful for peoplecoming to your house.In turns, each onesays: “I´m thankfulfor…”
A bit of History . Thanksgiving became a holiday almost 400 years ago, in 1621, when a group of English Pilgrims arrived to America and settled in 1620. They were a group of Puritans who escaped from England due to their religion believes.
The pilgrims travelledto America on a shipcalled the “Mayflower.”The trip to America waslong and hard. Therewere storms and theship was really crowded.
• When they got to America, it was winter and there were no food or houses.• Many of the pilgrims died from sickness, starvation and cold.
• There were some people who lived in America already: Indians.• They saw the Pilgrims suffering and they decided to help them.
• They showed them how to hunt and fish.• They showed them how to grow different plants, like corn and pumpkins.• They helped them build houses out of the trees there.
• When it was winter again, the Pilgrims had food and a place to live.• They were so happy that they decided to have a feast and invite their friends, the Indians.
• So they had a great feast that lasted for a whole week.• They ate the typical autumn food: turkey, fish, deer, sweet potatoes, corn and pumpkin.
• But the first thing they did was to say thanks for having friends, food, houses and a place to live.