POORNIMA COLLEGE OF
MANTRA SOFT TECH.
ECE 4th yr 7th sem.
Working of Iris Scanner
• Mantra Softech (India) Pvt Ltd is a leader in Biometric security
and Business solutions. Automated Fingerprint Identification
System(AFIS) and Iris identification search matching are the
primary products of Mantra Technologies.
• Established in 2002, the Mantra Softech (India) Pvt Ltd
develops identity management and access control solutions for
the information security requirements of large and medium
sized organizations. In addition to the standard access
protection systems in common use such as passwords, smart
cards, solutions offered by Mantra Softech (India) Pvt Ltd also
include sophisticated biometric identification systems.
• Mr. Sachin Verma (Director)
• Mr. Jignesh Prajapati (HR Manager)
• Mr. Vikash Verma (Training Coordinator)
• Mr. Keyur Patel (Training Coordinator)
• Biometrics is the science of measuring physical
or anatomical characteristics of individuals.
• It performs automatic identification of a person
based on his/her physiological characteristics.
• The iris is the colorful
part of the eye
between the white
sclera and the pupil.
• Iris is the only internal
organ of the human
body that is normally
• The iris identification program may be divided into
four main functional blocks:
• Image Analysis.
• Image Recognition.
• The acquired image always not only “useful” parts
(IRIS), but also some “irrelevant” parts
e.g. eyelid, pupil .
1.So the preprocessing is composed of two steps:
• Edge Detection.
• In this stage, we should
determine iris part of
the image by localizing
the position of the
image derived from
inside the limbus
(outer boundary) and
outside the pupil
(inner boundary), and
finally convert the iris
part into a suitable
• It is used to find complex
object boundaries by marking
potential edge point
corresponding to places in an
image where rapid change in
• In other words, edge is
defined by the discontinuity in
gray values. An edge
separates two distinct
• The features of the iris are then analyzed and
digitized into a 512 byte (4096 bits) Iris Code
• In this iris code half of the describes the features
and another half of the describes the control the
• Iris code record is stored in the database for future
• During a recognition attempt, when an iris is
presented at a recognition point, the same process
is repeated ; however the resulting Iris Code
record is not stored but is compared to every file in
1. A person stands in front of the iris identification system,
between one and three feet away, while a wide angle
camera calculates the position of their eye.
2. A second camera zooms in on the eye and takes a
black and white image.
3. Once the iris is in focus, it overlays a circular grid on the
image of the iris and identifies the light and dark areas,
like an “eye print”.
4. To prevent a fake eye from being used to fool system,
these devices may very the light shone into the eye and
watch for pupil dilation.
• FAR - As low as 1 in 1,000,000
• FRR –around 2%
1.Highly Protected Internal Organ Of The Eye.
2.Externally Visible Patterns Imaged From A
3.Pattern Apparently Stable Throughout The Life.
4.Image Analysis And Encoding Time: 1 Seconds.
5.Search Speed: 1,00,000 Iris Code Per Second.
1. Computer login: the iris as a living password.
2. National border controls: the iris as a living passport.
3. Driving licenses and personal certificates.
4. Internet security.
5. Premises access control (Home, Office, Laboratory).
6. Anti-terrorism (e.g. security screening at airports)
7. Financial Transactions (electronic commerce and
8. Secure accesses to bank cash machine accounts.
• Iris recognition system 1.0
• Iris application server 2.0
• Iris 3D 1.0.8
• Biometric technology has great potential
• There are many biometric products around,
regarding the different biometric technologies
• Since September 11th, biometric products are
• Shortcomings of biometric systems due to
o Manufacturers ignorance of security concerns
o Lack of quality control
o Standardisation problems
• Manufacturers have to take security concerns