In an era when most technology based products become exponentially more capable and affordable, space technology remains much the same as it was 40 years ago. SpaceX was started in 2002 to reverse this trend by creating highly reliable rockets and spacecraft at a lower cost.
It will be able to produce 5 lac tesla cars and 50gwh per year. Tesla, which is in the middle of building a vast “Gigafactory” battery production plant in the Nevada desert, plans to offer new versions of the batteries it puts in its Model S car to residential, commercial, and utility customers.
Elon Musk and his innovations
TIMELINE OF ELON MUSK
Born in 1971
and sold to ebay
for $300M by
Dual degree at
& Physics Major
At 12yrs, Creates
and sells it for
1995: Founded Zip2, a
web software company
The company developed
and marketed an
Internet "city guide" for
Altavista acquired Zip2
for US$307 million in
cash and US$34 million
in stock options in 1999
1999: Musk co-founded X.com, an online
financial services and e-mail payment company.
2000: Merged with Confinity, which had a
money transfer service called Paypal.
2001: The merged company focused on the
PayPal service and was renamed PayPal.
Musk , who owned 11.7% share at Paypal, was
ousted from his role as CEO.
2002: PayPal was acquired by eBay for US$1.5
• Focused on three goals:
• Advancing the internet
• Space travel
• Energy efficiency.
Strong Vision &
• Spends 2 hours a month on calls at Solarcity
• Large day to day responsibilities at SpaceX
• Stepped in as CEO of Tesla Motors when
Know the level of
make an impact.
hit the streets
IPO in 2010
and got listed
Started with Tesla
moved on to
the Tesla Model S
and Model X
• Elegant motor system
• Best battery the industry has to offer
• On board battery charger
• Power control
• Regenerative braking system
• State of the art vehicle software
• Founded in 2002
• Philosophy : Robust design and efficient operations,
low cost and reliability can go hand in hand
• Has the goal of privatizing space transportation
• Innovative designs and quality in-house
• Became the first (2010), and still only, privately
owned company to return a spacecraft from low-earth
• SpaceX now holds a $1.6 bn contract with NASA
Falcon 1 became the
devleoped liquid fuel
rocket to achieve
earth orbit December 2008: SpaceX
was awarded a $1.6 billion
July 2009: Falcon 1
liquid fuel rocket to
put a commercial
sattelite in orbit
a spacecraft from
orbit on its
INNOVATION AT SPACEX
• They changed the engine, giving it the lowest possible cost choice
of architecture, covering it with fireproof blankets, and improving
its pump and injector.
• They changed the rocket’s structure, giving it an inexpensive
aluminum tank, and enabling it to stand un-pressurized on a launch
pad in even extreme winds.
• They updated its avionics with the latest technology.
• They made a rocket that would be completely assembled in the
SpaceX factory so that no army of workers would later be required
at the launch site.
• One of the greatest innovations at SpaceX is its “ability to make
almost any part of the rocket in house.” This, he says, gives it “a
great deal of bargaining power with suppliers.
• Founded in 2006 by Elon and his cousins Peter
and Lyndon Rive
• Headquartered in San Mateo, California
• SolarCity is America's largest solar power provider
• Clean energy available to customers at a lower cost
• We call this Better Energy
• One of the most experienced clean energy project
design and installation teams in the world
• Leading provider of residential solar power in
California since 2007
•Mission-To make clean renewable energy accessible to those who need it
most and reduce the world’s dependence on finite, polluting power sources.
•Every solar home makes a difference.
•Together we can do more.
•The GivePower Foundation is a SolarCity nonprofit organization
collaborated with BuildOn.
GivePower + BuildOn
•Bringing light to schools in need.
•For every megawatt of residential solar power ,will donate a solar
power system and battery to a school without electricity.
•Building schools in some of the economically poorest countries in the
world, including Nicaragua, Haiti, Malawi, Mali, Nepal and Senegal.
• SolarCity entered the electric car charging
• SpaceX is making a $90 million investment in
SolarCity solar bonds.
• $750 million residential solar project
• Google partners with SolarCity
• Venturing into new fields- own microgrid system
• SolarCity is continues innovating as an
important player in the solar field.
Upgradation of an old generation battery.
Tesla Model 3 to be released in 2016
Millions of Tesla Electric Cars and Factories On Three Continents
$10 billion building the internet in space
Solar storage system for grid services.