Successfully reported this slideshow.
We use your LinkedIn profile and activity data to personalize ads and to show you more relevant ads. You can change your ad preferences anytime.

Litter survey Nov 2015 - January 2016

638 views

Published on

Sumary results and analysis of beach litter surveys on lake geneva in the region of Vevey-Montreux-Clarens

Published in: Environment
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

Litter survey Nov 2015 - January 2016

  1. 1. M o n t r e u x C l e a n B e a c h 2 Beach litter survey results for Montreux-Clarens-Vevey November 2015 - January 2016 A hammerdirt project
  2. 2. 2 The project Montreux Clean Beach Project II (MCB- PII) removes and inventories macro-plas- tic pollution from the shoreline of Lake Léman. The data collected can be used to evaluate current litter mitigation strategies. MCB- PII is designed and inspired by the citizen science method. MCBPII is the second project initiated by hammerdirt. The results of MCBPI and the project plan can be found at our website www.hammerdirt.ch. The project plan de- scribes our methods, provides references and defines the deliverables for MCBPII. Data The data for each survey location is avail- able for download from our website, fol- low the “Kobotoolbox” link for the location in question. Once you have accessed the “toolbox” you can download the data, view the results on a map or view the results one by one, images are included. Association All the labor and resources for this project are furnished by hammerdirt association. We are always looking for serious, dedi- cated individuals that would like to fund, initiate or participate in projects of this type. For more information, visit our web- site. Funding MCBPII is unfunded, all costs for the proj- ect have been assumed by Shannon and Roger Erismann, the founders of ham- merdirt. We would like to expand our operations to include more locations and more surveys. Individuals or groups inter- ested in funding this project or an expand- ed version should contact us directly. Somebody has to do it Contents The project 2 Data 2 Funding 2 Combined results 4 Total pieces found 4 Variety of items found 4 Plastics and averages 4 Comparison of categories 6 Conclusions 8 Recommendation 8 Plage de l’Arabie 10 Montreux rive gauche 12 Montreux rive droite 13 Baye de Clarens 14 La Veveyse 15
  3. 3. 3 How much did you spend on litter prevention ? Was it effective ?
  4. 4. 4 Combined results Total pieces found Twenty-seven operations yielded 8’560 pieces (pcs) of trash for the period of No- vember 23, 2015 to January 27, 2016. Of that total 2’003 pcs were removed in one operation from “La plage de l’Arabie” in Vevey. This beach is not normally part of the project and is not included in the combined survey results that follow. Variety of items found The variety of material found represents seventy-six “Marine Litter Watch “ (MLW) categories, an 8.6% increase from the last period. Cigarette butts, pieces of foam and pieces of plastic combine for 60% of the items found. Bottles/broken glass, snack food wrappers and cotton-swabs round up the top 6 items representing 72% of the trash found on these beaches. Plastics and averages Plastic in all forms represents 84% of all material found and fluctuates between 59% - 97% of the daily total. The moving average of daily totals reached it’s peak of 276 pcs on 10/12/2015 to finish at 252 pcs. Cigarette Butts 25% Foam 24% Plastic pieces 11% Glass bottles/pieces 4% Candy wrappers 4% Cotton Swabs 4% All the rest 28% Top six categoriesof trash found all sites combined Montreux - Clarens - Vevey November 2015 - January 2016
  5. 5. 5 Location # Of surveys Total pieces % Plastic Montreux rive droite 5 1405 80.4 Montreux rive gauche 7 2246 84.8 La Veveyse 7 1026 82.1 Clarens 7 1880 89.5 l’Arabie 1 2003 97 Total for the period 27 8560 87.62 0,0% 10,0% 20,0% 30,0% 40,0% 50,0% 60,0% 70,0% 80,0% 90,0% 100,0% 0 100 200 300 400 500 600 2015-11-23 2015-11-24 2015-11-27 2015-12-01 2015-12-02 2015-12-04 2015-12-04 2015-12-07 2015-12-08 2015-12-10 2015-12-10 2015-12-14 2015-12-16 2015-12-17 2015-12-17 2015-12-30 2016-01-06 2016-01-07 2016-01-08 2016-01-13 2016-01-13 2016-01-15 2016-01-19 2016-01-19 2016-01-21 2016-01-23 Plasticasa%ofdailytotal Totalpiecescollectedperday Daily totals and plastic as a % of daily total Montreux-Clarens-Vevey November 23 2015 - January 27 2016 Daily total Daily Average % Plastic
  6. 6. 6 A comparison of key categories as a % of daily totals We compared the % daily totals of cigarette butts, foam, bits of plastic and cot- ton swabs across the three survey sites. We combined Montreux rive gauche with Montreux rive droite and “La plage du Pierrier” was added to the Baye de Clarens. Cigarette butts make up 25% of the items found across all sites, Montreux consitent- ly has the greatest amount of cigarette butts as a % daily total ranging between 10% and 60% for the period. 0,0% 6,0% 12,0% 18,0% 24,0% 30,0% 36,0% 42,0% 48,0% 54,0% 60,0% 66,0% 2015-11-23 2015-11-30 2015-12-07 2015-12-14 2015-12-21 2015-12-28 2016-01-04 2016-01-11 2016-01-18 Percentageofdailytotal Cigarette butts as % of daily total Nov 2015 - Jan 2016 Vevey Clarens Montreux 0,00% 6,00% 12,00% 18,00% 24,00% 30,00% 2015-11-23 2015-11-30 2015-12-07 2015-12-14 2015-12-21 2015-12-28 2016-01-04 2016-01-11 2016-01-18 Percentageofdailytotal Bits of plastic as % of daily total Nov 2015 - Jan 2016 Vevey Clarens Montreux
  7. 7. 7 0,0% 2,0% 4,0% 6,0% 8,0% 10,0% 12,0% 2015-11-23 2015-11-30 2015-12-07 2015-12-14 2015-12-21 2015-12-28 2016-01-04 2016-01-11 2016-01-18 Percentageofdailytotal Cotton swabs as % of daily total Nov 2015 - Jan 2016 Vevey Clarens Montreux The cyclical nature of the beach cast litter is evident and the relative quantities be- come more similar across the sites when cigarette butts are removed from the inven- tory results. This is espe­cially evident for cotton swabs where the peaks and troughs appear to coincide. -2,0% 8,0% 18,0% 28,0% 38,0% 48,0% 58,0% 68,0% 78,0% 88,0% 2015-11-23 2015-11-30 2015-12-07 2015-12-14 2015-12-21 2015-12-28 2016-01-04 2016-01-11 2016-01-18 Percentageofdailytotal Bits of foam as % of daily total Nov 2015 - Jan 2016 Vevey Clarens Montreux
  8. 8. 8 0,0% 6,0% 12,0% 18,0% 24,0% 30,0% 36,0% 42,0% 48,0% 54,0% 2015-11-23 2015-11-30 2015-12-07 2015-12-14 2015-12-21 2015-12-28 2016-01-04 2016-01-11 2016-01-18 Percentageofdailytotal Food related items as % of daily total Nov 2015 - Jan 2016 Veveyse Clarens Montreux All food related categories were combined and compared as a % of daily totals. The chart is similar to that of cigarettes in two very important ways: 1. Montreux has the highest percentage of this type of litter 2. The graph is flatter, the period between peaks and troughs is longer Conclusions When cigarette butts are removed from the daily to- tals, the % quantities and occurrence of foam, cot- ton-swabs and plastic pieces are similar across all three sites. In the case of food related items, with a chart similar to cigarette butts, the elevated quantities at the Baye de Montreux may be a problem to that lo- cation. Given our experience and the results from the first project we expect this pattern to be confirmed as the surveillance continues. Recommendation Montreux could benefit from a litter prevention pro- gram targetting the areas directly adjacent to the lake and La Baye. Specifically on the beaches themselves and in the shops and restaurants in the immediate area. A consolidated regional effort to reduce the amount of foam introduced in the environment is adivsable. Additional data collections, meteo & hydrologic data as well as increased cooperation from the communes would be useful to analyze in greater detail the fluctu- ations of material collected at each of the 3 sites. • Drink bottles <=0.5l • Drink bottles >0.5l • Food containers incl. fast food containers • Plastic caps/lids drinks • Plastic rings from bottle caps/lids • Crisps packets/sweets wrappers • Lolly sticks • Cups and cup lids • Cutlery and trays • Straws and stirrers • Bottle caps, lids & pull tabs • Cups, food trays, food wrappers, drink containers • Corks • Ice-cream sticks, chip forks, chopsticks & toothpicks • 4/6-pack yokes, six-pack rings • Mesh vegetable bags • Tableware (plates & cups) • Disposable BBQ’s • Cans (food) Food related items :
  9. 9. 9 Pieces of foam : Baye de Montreux 13 January 2016 Cotton swabs, foam and various items : Baye de Clarens 13 January 2016
  10. 10. 10 0,00 5,00 10,00 15,00 20,00 25,00 30,00 MontreuxRD Veveyse Clarens MontreuxRG Arabie Piecesoftrashpermeter² Maximum density of trash per meter² Nov 2015 - Jan 2016 Plage de l’Arabie The plage de l’Arabie is about 70 meters from the Veveyse. This site has never been surveyed before, and the prox- imity to our regular site seemed like an interesting opportunity to compare findings. At 76m² the Arabie is smaller than any of the four sites, stairs provide acces to the beach from the boardwalk. The to- tal inventory for the site was 2’003 pcs, representing 46 different MLW catego- ries. The density of trash present was obvi- ous when we arrived on site, in relative terms the Arabie presents a density 6 times greater than the maximum value of any other beach under surveillance. When compared to other studies, the Arabie had a greater density of trash than the average found on one kilome- ter of beach in England. Four categories occupied 56% of the trash found on the beach: 1. Candy wrappers 2. Bits of plastic 3. Plastic sheeting 4. Plastic cups Forty-two other categories com- bine to make up the rest. Candy wrappers 21% Bits of plastic 16% Plastic sheeting 12% Plastic cups 7% All else 44% Top four categoriesof trash found Plage de l'Arabie January 24, 2016
  11. 11. 11 Plaged de l’Arabie, January 24, 2016
  12. 12. 12 Individual results: Montreux rive gauche 0 100 200 300 400 500 600 0 100 200 300 400 500 600 2015-11-23 2015-12-04 2015-12-10 2015-12-17 2015-12-30 2016-01-13 2016-01-19 Movingaverage Totalpiecescollectedperday Daily totals and average Montreux rivegauche November 2015 - January 2016 Daily total Average 2’246 pieces of trash were removed in seven opera- tions from Montreux rive gauche(MRG). With a maxi- mum density of 4.24pcs per m², MRG has the highest density of the sites under regular surveillance. The precipitous drop in quantity of litter found on January 19, 2016 could be attributed to the results of our sustained efforts, cold weather, or wave events removing the material. Increased cooperation with the commune is needed to better analyze the fluctua- tions. Cigarettes 34% Foam 19% Plastic pieces 10% Bottles/pieces 5% All else 32% Top four categoriesof trash found Montreux rive gauche November 2015 - January 2016 68% of the items found can be attributed to 4 categories : 1. Cigarettes 2. Foam 3. Pieces of plastic 4. Bottles or broken glass. The rest of the litter found (32%) is spread out among 55 other categories. Download Data
  13. 13. 13 Individual results: Montreux rive droite 0 100 200 300 400 500 600 0 100 200 300 400 500 600 2015-12-04 2015-12-10 2015-12-17 2016-01-07 2016-01-19 Movingaverage Totalpiecescollectedperday Daily totals and average Montreuxrivedroite November 2015 - January 2016 Daily total Average Cigarettes 50% Plastic pieces 6% Bottles/pieces 5% Bottle caps/lids 5% All else 34% Top four categoriesof trash found Montreux rive droite November 2015 - January 2016 1’405 pieces of trash were removed in five operations from Montreux rive droite (MRD). With a maximum density of 2.01pcs per m², MRD has the lowest density of the sites under regular surveillance. The precipitous drop in quantity of litter found on December 17, 2015 could be attributed to the in- creased efforts of the com- mune. Increased cooperation with the commune is needed to better analyze the fluctua- tions. 76% of the items found can be attributed to 4 categories : 1. Cigarettes 2. Plastic pieces 3. Bottles or broken glass 4. Bottle caps The rest of the litter found (24%) is spread out among 43 other categories. Download Data
  14. 14. 14 Foam 39% Pieces of plastic 17% Cigarettes 7% Cotton swabs 6% All else 31% Top four categoriesof trash found Baye de Clarens November 2015 - January 2016 0 100 200 300 400 500 600 0 100 200 300 400 500 600 24.11.2015 02.12.2015 08.12.2015 16.12.2015 06.01.2016 13.01.2016 23.01.2016 Movingaverage Totalpiecescollectedperday Daily totals and average Clarens November 2015 - January 2016 Total Average 1’880 pcs of trash were removed in seven oper- ations from the Baye de Clarens. With a maximum density of 3.92pcs per m², The Baye de Clarens has the second highest densi- ty of the sites under regu- lar surveillance. The sharp increase for the last two weeks of January is attributed to wave ac- tion that deposited pre- viously submerged waste onto the beach. The weather data needed to verify this has yet to be disclosed. 69% of the items found can be attributed to 4 categories : 1. Foam 2. Plastic pieces 3. Cigarettes 4. Cotton swabs The rest of the litter found (31%) is spread out among 60 other categories. Download Data Individual results: Baye de Clarens
  15. 15. 15 Foam 37% Bits of plastic 8%Cigarettes 8% Plastic Sheeting 6% All else 41% Top four categoriesof trash found La Veveyse November 2015 - January 2016 0 50 100 150 200 250 300 0 50 100 150 200 250 300 27.11.2015 01.12.2015 07.12.2015 14.12.2015 08.01.2016 15.01.2016 21.01.2016 Movingaverage Totalpiecescollectedperday Daily totals and average La Veveyse November 2015 - January 2016 Total Average 1’026 pcs of trash were removed in seven oper- ations from La Veveyse. With a maximum densi- ty of 2.23 pcs per m², La Veveyse the third highest density of the sites under regular surveillance. The quantities of litter found on the beach seem to have leveled off over the past month. 59% of the items found can be attributed to 4 categories : 1. Foam 2. Plastic pieces 3. Cigarettes 4. Plastic sheeting The rest of the litter found (41%) is spread out among 57 other categories. Download Data Individual results: La Veveyse
  16. 16. 16 We fight against the pollution in the lake because water is our greatest natural resource. www.plagespropres.ch info@plagespropres.ch This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

×