Career Planning Visit hrmba.blogspot.comfor more presentations, projects, notes etc.
Organization of talk…. What is career planning ? Glimpse of career planning process How important is career planningCareer planning done by : Individuals Organizations Guidelines
What is career?? Job vs. Career Job – “What can I do now to make money?” Career – Chosen Profession for your life. Requires a willingness to get the training needed to build your skills for the future. A career is the work a person does. It is the sequence of jobs that an individual has held throughout his or her working life E.g. occupation of nursing.
Career planning what’s that??“Career planningconsists ofactivities andactions that youtake to achieveyour individualcareer goals”
Deeper insight … It is the life- long process a person goes through to learn about himself such as purpose, personality interests skills talents Develop a self- concept, learn about careers, and work situations Make a career choice, while developing and coping social skills
Career planning : An ongoing processHere You… Explore your interests and abilities Strategically plan your career goals Create your future work success by designing learning and action plans to help you achieve your goals.
Contd.. The major focus is matching personal goals and opportunities that are realistically available. Career planning is building bridges from one’s current job/career to next job/career. Well-conceived career plan is flexible to accommodate changing opportunities for development
How important is career planning? People leave an organisation due to lack of career growth Deeper focus on an employee’s aims and aspirations Degree of clarity Helps in identifying handicaps & the blind spots to overcome Significant motivator Key retention tool Critical human resource strategy
Contd… High-level vision and goals of company are clearly made known to employees Growth of an organisation is intrinsically linked with the growth of an individual Matching organization vision & employees aspirations is must
A typical The manager Employee sees careerviews a career Win-Win situation planning planning for all as a retention Programme And as a path to motivational upward tool mobility The top management view it as a tool for succession planning
Whose responsible for planning ones career?? Individual Organization
Self AssessmentJob Search Individual career planning process Academic/ Career options Relevant /Practical Experience
1. Self- Assessment Aware of the interrelationship between self and occupational choice Start by: Interests Abilities Learning interests, abilities, skills, and work values Listing accomplishments Understanding physical and psychological needs Values Personality Assessing aspirations and motivation level Deciphering personal traits and characteristics
1. Self- AssessmentCompetency Areas Strategies For Gaining Gain self-awareness Competencies Improve self-confidence Take exploratory classes Understand time and Identify personality style stress management Identify work values Develop Demonstrate skills in personal/professional overcoming self-defeating management skills behaviors Identify symptoms of stress
2. Academic / Career options Investigate the world of work in greater depth, narrow a general occupational direction into a specific one Start by: Learning academic and career entrance requirements Learning related majors and careers to ones interests Investigating education and training required Learning skills and experience required Planning academic and career alternatives Learning job market trends
2. Academic /Career optionsCompetency Areas Strategies For Gaining Gain research and investigative Competencies skills Read occupational resources Practice decision-making, Get assistance from a counselor problem solving and critical thinking skills Talk to people who work in your areas of interest Increase understanding of how abilities, interests, and values Attend Job/Career Fairs and/or match career/academic requirements Career Panels transferable skills should be be gained
3. Relevant / Practical experience Gain practical experience through internships, cooperative education etc.. Start by: Testing new skills and try diverse experiences Deciding the type of organization in which to volunteer or work Assessing likes and dislikes of work values, skills, work environments, Assessing if additional/different coursework or skills are needed for your targeted career goals
3. Relevant / Practical experience Strategies For GainingCompetency Areas Competencies Gain an appreciation for Attend relevant conferences and working with individuals from diverse cultures seminars Become familiar with work Understand and practice ethical behavior settings and job descriptions Practice making decisions by Gain supervisory/leadership/ supervising a group of people teamwork skills Talk to alumnus/a about your Enhance self-management skills career goals Obtain work related, Work part-time or during transferable skills summer Develop conflict resolution skills
4. Job Search Start by: Learning how to prepare resume and cover letters, and complete employment applications Learning and implementing job search strategies Learning and practicing interviewing skills Narrow your choices
4. Job SearchCompetency Areas Strategies For Gaining Ability correspondent in a Competencies coherent, professional manner Register with Career Planning Communicate verbally in a & Placement Services clear, concise manner Review resume with a career Effectively use networking, counselor problem-solving, and decision making to reach career goals Receive referrals Develop budgeting skills in relation to the job search, travel, and relocation
Organizational career planning process Projected Outcome Career planning options Transitions Career TimeDirection
Organizational career planning process1. Direction Assessing employee wants and organizational needs common goal setting2. Career time Relates to distance & speed of an employee How far & how fast can employee move on career path??3. Transition Relates to changes expected to a career goal Analyzing transition factors Setting goals and a timetable
Contd…4. Career planning options Advancement. Lateral Change to Lower Grade Mobility. Job Enrichment Exploratory Research5. Projected Outcome Calculate the risks attached How well will it pay off?
Some important guidelines Employees Discuss any concerns regarding career or professional development with supervisor Its your career, take all necessary initiative Supervisors/ Managers Make career planning an ongoing process Explain employees importance of growth, need for change Personal commitment
Contd… Acquire skills to be a good developer Give essential feedback to employees Provide a work environment that is conducive Supportive and motivational atmosphere Organizational Existence of supportive organizational structure suitable to employees needs Provide resources dollars and time
Career Planning is NOT… Leaving the decision to chance Getting information and never deciding Going along with someone else’s plans It’s OUR future. WE need to make our career decision!! Visit hrmba.blogspot.com for more presentations, projects, notes etc.