Successfully reported this slideshow.
We use your LinkedIn profile and activity data to personalize ads and to show you more relevant ads. You can change your ad preferences anytime.
KØBENHAVNS BOLDKLUB “KB”
ESTABLISHED WEDNESDAY 26 APRIL 1876
KEY MILESTONES
1876 – A small advert placed in the 26th
of Ap...
The Chairman of the club during the relocation to the new land and until 1901 was Ludvig Friis.
Today, the former land use...
1941 – In February 1941 a new KB social club was established. It was known as the club within a
club and called “The Knigh...
The year witnessed the merger of KB´s football first team with B1903´s football first team. The
twins Michael and Martin J...
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in …5
×

KB HistoryTimeline

137 views

Published on

KB was established in 1876. The same year as Alois Hitler changed his name from Schicklgruber. Follow KB´s journey and wonder at the loan in 1893 and compare it to what was happening at latitude 29 the same year.

Follow the numbers from some internet traffic on the Virusman website that started in August 2000 with IP a-na9-12.tin.it. What is your impression. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2I9KAMzLDczQUJhVWJjU2ZDbjA/view

Published in: Sports
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

KB HistoryTimeline

  1. 1. KØBENHAVNS BOLDKLUB “KB” ESTABLISHED WEDNESDAY 26 APRIL 1876 KEY MILESTONES 1876 – A small advert placed in the 26th of April´s edition of the Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten informed its readers that “Dentist Christian Kjaertinge was open on Sundays between 12:00 and 4pm”. People with a sharp eye would have also noted the edition was number “96”. Later on that same day five gentleman would meet at a parent´s apartment in inner Copenhagen to create continental Europe´s oldest ball club. The club would be known as Kjøbenhavns Boldklub or simply “KB”. The address was Snaregade 10, København K. The names of the four founders and one witness were F.V Levison, Aug Nielsen, Carl Møller and E. Semler. The witness was Frederik Markmann who would later become Chairman of Københavns Boldklub “KB” and in 1889 founder of Danmark´s Boldspil Union “DBU” - The Football Association. (pic snaregade 10) 1876-1882 – KB soon attracted new members and by 1880 there was a total of 70 annual members. The members enjoyed sports such as Long Ball which was played on Blegdamsfælled. Games of tennis, football and cricket were played in the shadows of Rosenborg Castle on the Life Guards Exercise ground, the castle being home to Denmark´s Crown jewels. (pic rosenborgcastle) 1883 – A new club house was rented at an address which is today known as Guldbergsgade 11, København N. (pic guldbergsgade). The club house consisted of two rooms in an apartment block. It was located next door to The Mosaiske kirkegård, the old Jewish cemetery and also built on the site of an old windmill hence the orginal streetname of Barkmøllevej (pic map 1854). The street was named Guldbergsgade in 1858. (pic map 1858). During the years at Guldbergsgade 11, KB played sport on Blegdamsfælled. These sports included football and cricket with KB arranging games against different clubs from around Sjælland. 1886 – Two tennis courts were built in the old moat drained of water at Rosenkrantz Bastion. One hundred years earlier The King´s windmill had stood on top of the bastion but had burned down and been replaced by The Queens windmill which stood until it was demolished during the late 1890´s. Today there is very little evidence of any windmill or the pair of tennis courts at Rosenkrantz Bastion due to the building of Nyboder school and the extension of the railway track at Østerport Station. (pic Rosenkrantz) 1889 – KB continued to grow and more clubs became established in and around Copenhagen. Frederik Markmann had been Chairman of KB from 1880-1883 and found a new role as Chairman of Danmark´s Boldspil Union “DBU” (Denmark´s Football Association). 1893 – KB identified the opportunity to bring all of its different sports together on 3 acres of land in Frederiksberg. The land at Ladegården was originally farmed by King Christian IV in 1623 and part of the largest farm estate in Denmark. The club received a ten year loan from six wealthy persons for the amount of 7000 kroner. The money was used to develop the land and build tennis courts, a football pitch and a small club house. The football pitch was used as a cricket pitch during the summer season. (pic1893LoanKB)
  2. 2. The Chairman of the club during the relocation to the new land and until 1901 was Ludvig Friis. Today, the former land used by KB is best visualized by standing at Sankt Markus church and looking towards Forum concert hall and the former Danmark´s Radio “DR” concert hall on Julius Thomsens Gade. Before the sports field was closed in the 1920´s a large football pitch and a total of 16 tennis courts occupied the open space. (aeriel photo Sankt Markus). 1899 – KB membership increased to 700 members and the club´s management committee decided to expand once again. Fourteen tennis courts and a small club house were built on land next door to the Royal Copenhagen porcelain factory (Aluminia A/S) on Søndre Fasanvej, Frederiksberg. In 1902 an international tennis tournament took place with patronage from the Danish Monarchy. The tennis courts were very popular for many years but in 1930 closed and new apartments were built on the land. The apartments are at Søndre Fasanvej 25-69 and the building is today known as “Løvgaarden”. (pic sondrefasanvej) 1900 – Next door to KB´s sports field at Ladegården, Frederiksberg, the ground was prepared for a new Sankt Markus church on 25 November 1900. The church would become KB´s neighbour and overlook the centre tennis court and football pitch. The church was originally planned to be named as Sankt Philip but after a debate within the church it was decided to be named Sankt Markus. However once the church was completed and consecrated poor feelings from the religious community started to spill over towards KB because of the noise from Sunday afternoon football matches. In 1925 KB finally closed the sports ground. The erection of a new exhibition and meeting hall called “Forum” was completed a few years later on KB´s former land. 1913 – KB decided to rent more land in the Royal Park at Frederiksberg on Pile Alle. The land was in the shadow of Frederiksberg Castle and Castle church. The castle became an Officers school in 1868 with the church being used as a military library from 1874 until 1926. The library was restored to a church and once again used as a place of worship in 1932. The new courts at Pile Alle 14 opened in 1914 and a new indoor tennis hall was completed in 1917. Pile Alle, meaning “Willow street” and named in 1815, became the centre for all year round elite tennis in Copenhagen. 1924 – With plans already in place to close the KB sports field at Sankt Markus and the tennis park on Søndre Fasanvej the management of KB took steps to secure the club´s legacy by purchasing a plot of land. The land was identified as “Matrikel 44af” at Peter Bangs Vej 147, next to the “Sønderjyllands kvarter” and on the western boundary of Frederiksberg. The road Peter Bangs Vej was named after Peter Bang who was in the Danish government during the first constitution in 1848-1849. He later became chief of a government ministry from 1854-1856. KB´s move to Peter Bangs Vej meant for the very first time KB owned land and was free from any restrictions to develop the space for football, cricket, tennis, creating a fixed asset for the club. Membership of KB reached 2700 members and the club continually probed new boundaries to cement itself as a world class sports club. Economic success was quickly realised through the sale of land to the Carlsberg Foundation for a residential development and other sources of funding were explored with the “Landsmandsbanken” “Farmers Bank” and Frederiksberg Town council. 1938 - On 22 April 1938 KB Hallen opened on Peter Bangs Vej. The sports park included football pitches and thirteen tennis courts including a showpiece centre tennis court for tournaments. KB Hallen was used for rock concerts, gala dinners and indoor tennis tournaments. Adjacent to KB Hallen was also a new banqueting hall called “Pejse Salen” - “The Fireplace Room” with a large, curved chimney breast forming a central feature inside the new room. (picKBHallenaerialland)
  3. 3. 1941 – In February 1941 a new KB social club was established. It was known as the club within a club and called “The Knights of Sankt Marcus”. The purpose of the club was to provide a social setting where fellow “Knights” would meet once or twice a year for dinner and listen to a guest speaker. The meetings were normally held in the “Pejse Salen” or “The Fireplace Room” at KB Hallen, Peter Bangs Vej 147, Frederiksberg. The idea for the social club is thought to have originated from the lawyer and footballer Jørgen Cold with the support of the three brothers Nils, Kristian and Einar Middelboe. The “Marcus” name was selected as a way of remembering the link to KB´s former neighbour from years earlier. Nils Middelboe was a former footballer at Chelsea FC, Stamford Bridge, London. (The difference between the spelling of Marcus and Markus is believed to be intentional). 1943 – Whilst it is important to mention that KB had ended its links with the land at Sankt Markus in Frederiksberg. On the 24 August 1943 Forum, the concert and meeting hall, was partly demolished by a new Danish Resistance group called “Holger Danske”. It is believed six members of the resistance movement secretly transported explosives hidden in beer crates into the hall prior to the explosion. Forum was closed for the remainder of the war. 1944 – On the night of 17 June 1944 KB Hallen was bombed by members of the Danish “SS” Schalburg Corps. The explosives were planted inside KB Hallen close to the wall separating Pejse Salen “The Fireplace Room” and the training hall. The damage was extensive and KB Hallen was forced to close until the end of the Second World War. The motive for sabotaging KB Hallen on the night of 17 June is unknown however there is suspicion that the order for the attack by the Schalburg Corps came from the senior Nazi SS command linked to Wewelsburg Castle, Germany. It is unknown if the bombing was undertaken to mark Martin Bormann´s 44th birthday in Berlin, Germany. Martin Bormann was Hitler's personal secretary and the “joint second” most powerful person alongside Heinrich Himmler of the SS within the NAZI leadership. Bormann is believed to have died one year later whilst trying to escape from Berlin. (picKBHallenbomb) 1945 Post War – During the 1950´s, 1960´s, 1970´s and 1980´s KB consolidated its reputation as an elite club. Club membership grew to 3700 persons. The land and facilities at Peter Bangs Vej 147 was continually upgraded to provide the best possible sporting environment for its members. 1968 - The club experienced disaster on Friday 28 June 1968 when its indoor tennis hall burned down at Pile Alle 14, Frederiksberg. It is believed the fire was caused by “painters and their work”. The alarm was raised at 14:07 hrs but the fire was advanced and destroyed the tennis hall and claimed the life of a fireman from Frederiksberg Fire Dept. His name was Jens Liltorp - Fireman No. 28. Two firemen from Copenhagen Fire Dept suffered problems with smoke inhalation and needed treatment. They were named as, Andersen - Fireman No 127 and Petersen - Fireman No. 617. (picPileAlleFire) 1985 – In 1985 a new charity was established by friends of KB. The charity subsequently became known as Copenhagen Business Club. The objective of the charity was and still remains today, “to act as a bridge between the world of commerce and the different sporting sections of KB to assist in the sourcing of funds and sponsorship for KB talent”. Sponsorship raised by the charity goes towards team travel, training and tournaments. In the past the charity has made substantial donations towards a new modern football pitch for team training at Peter Bangs Vej 147 and also a new fitness centre for all KB club members. Another success story of the charity was the annual Copenhagen Open ATP tennis tournament which started in 1987 and ended in 2003. 1992 – The year was perhaps one of the most notable years for KB since its giant step towards developing the land at Sankt Markus in 1893 and the purchase of land at Peter Bangs Vej 147.
  4. 4. The year witnessed the merger of KB´s football first team with B1903´s football first team. The twins Michael and Martin Johansen had left KB the previous year for B1903. A new football team and club was created and called FCK or Football Club København. Both KB and B1903 owned 50% of the share capital but as time progressed it was deemed necessary to introduce new capital and finance. Their shareholding was diluted to where it stands today at 1% each with both enjoying a seat on the Board of Directors of FCK. (picJohansentwins) With the new Millennium came a new manager for FCK. At 53 years of age in 2000, the current England manager Roy Hodgson was selected to manage the club whilst KB celebrated its 125 years anniversary. At the end of the season in 2001 FCK were the Danish Champions. Roy Hodgson had made his mark on the club and was offered a new job at the Italian club Udinese. In 2015 it was recorded that KB and FCK had jointly won a total of 38 Danish National football trophies since 1876. 2015 – Today, Københavns Boldklub “KB” has 4550 club members. The club provides all year round sporting facilities for tennis, football and cricket. There is a small fitness centre, outdoor swimming pool and a restaurant at Peter Bangs Vej. There is also a restaurant and sun terrace at Pile Alle. A new modern concert and exhibition hall is to be built on the site of the original KB Hallen and due to be completed in 2017. The “KB” Sherlock Holmes Mystery 1889 – A small printed notice was published on behalf of KB in the “Dansk Sportstidende” in 1889, edited by Victor Hansen. The notice informed interested persons that a meeting would take place at KB´s Club House next door to Mosaiske kirkegård on Friday 28 April 1889. The address was Lille Blegdamsvej 13. What would Sherlock Holmes think? (picLBnotice) Timeline is proof read and ready for immediate publication.

×