• Use the past simple for events in the
past that are now finished, situation in
the past and a series of actions in the
• Expressions: Yesterday, last (night),
(two days) ago, the other day, just
now, the day before yesterday
Direct speech Peter: “I lived in New York
for 10 years.”
Reported speech Peter said he had lived
in New York for 10 years.
Exercises - Imperative
• Now you have to read a sentence and
write with the same meaning.
example: “Listen carefully”, he said to
us. He told us to listen carefully.
1. “Eat more fruit and vegetables”, the
The doctor said to eat more fruit
2. “Read the instructions before you switch
on the machine”, he said to me.
He told me to read the instructions before
he switched on the machine.
3. “Shut the door but don’t lock it”, she said
She told us to shut the door but not to lock it.
4. “Don’t come before 6 o’clock”, I said to
I told him not to come before 6 o’clock.
Exercises – Past Simple
• Pass the direct speech for the reported
Example: “I drank water.” He said he
had drunk water.
1.“She came on time.”
They said she had come on time.
2.“I saw you in the mall.”
She said that she had seen him in the mall.
3.Steve: “I visited my grandmother two days
Steve said that she had seen him in the mall.
4.She said: “I moved here in September.”
She said that she had moved there in September.