Comments on TOD policy in Mumbai Development Plan 2014
Presentation made to
Stakeholder Workshop on
Land Use and Transport Integration
Mumbai Development Plan 2014-2034
MTSU, EMBARQ and MESN
Observer Research Foundation, Mumbai
Mumbai Transport Forum
17th December, 2013
Mumbai Transformation Support Unit
Disclaimer: All views in the presentation may or
may not be completely endorsed by the
associations the author is associated with.
All views are subject to changes/improvements
as new inputs come in.
Transit Oriented Development
This presentation pertains to
comments on the TOD
section of the
document prepared as part of
Development Plan for Greater
• Document reading from Preparatory Studies for Mumbai Development
Plan 2014-2034 available on
• Refer to Transport chapter (page 126 to 150) in the following document:
• Refer page no 258 to 279 in the following document:
• The Preparatory Studies document has to be
commented upon from Point of View of its
adequacy in terms of 3 aspects:
• Institutional Setup
Points to note
TOD cannot happen without closer working between the
plot owners and residents,
and local community organisations like ALMs.
THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT POINT
Point to Note
• Development Plan and all proposals inherent like
TOD are meant to enrich peoples lives in the
• This cannot be achieved by planning principles
and DCRs alone.
• Without peoples participation efforts wasted.
How will we involve the poor and marginalised?
Points to Note
The Preparatory Studies document does not:
• Outline Regulatory measures to make community
and stakeholder participation statutory
• Give Guidelines to facilitate the same
• Give framework for an Institutional Setup to
make community participation a reality at the
level of 151 identified planning sectors
Points to note
• How will inter-department co-operation and
working be carried out within MCGM? How
will Building Proposal Department, Road
Department and Traffic Department work
• If TOD is important then will there be a
dedicated cell for TOD in MCGM?
Case Study of K(W) Ward
• In K(W) Ward where I reside I can continuously
see questionable land use developments taking
place and I have no help desk in MCGM to discuss
• In K(W) I can easily identify ten clusters which
need guided development but can already see
individual plots being developed without any
consideration on the overall neighbourhood,
connectivity and carrying capability of transport
• Previous photo Andheri (W) – old station, new
station and upcoming redevelopment just outside
• Camera was snatched and photo deleted for
taking photo of slippery material used in newly
made footpath outside the building.
• Is the Development Plan going to influence these
How does the Development Plan propose to
influence this important observation below copied
from the Preparatory Studies document
Long and short
• Areas close to Andheri Station (E) and (W)
are ripe for redevelopment
(some clusters shown in white in previous slide)
• How will DP influence development in these
sectors even before next elections in 2017? 2034
is far away.
• “In the long run we are all dead” (?)
Points of note
• The Oshiwara District Center has not acquired the
intended status of a District Center although
MMRDA was appointed SPA.
• This is not an insignificant event. There should be
commentary in current plan as to what were the
difficulties and whether sufficient and sincere
efforts were not made?
• Will proposals in DP 2014 suffer similar fate?
Points to Note
• The section on transport lacks specificity on TOD.
• Mumbai has all the characteristics which are
suited for the application of TOD principles but
for that to happen we will have to be very
• Mere stating of principles will not deliver on
ground. Action plan needs to be outlined.
Points to Note
• From pages 127 to 146, which is the section
dealing with transport, almost all parts are a
rehash from CTS. No new thought, ideas or plans
• Some of the proposed projects like elevated
corridor between Virar and Churchgate is already
showing signs of being of the shelf and coast road
is heavily contested.
doing as part
of its Draft
Massive opportunity to enrich Quality of Life
of citizens of Mumbai through the tool of TOD
within Development Plan 2014 provided the
exercise is undertaken with utmost sincerity