MARKETING MIX OF COCA-COLA
AMITY SCHOOL OF INSURANCE ,
BANKING AND ACTURIAL SCIENCE
MBA – I& FP
Roll No. - 11
• Largest manufacturer of non- alcoholic beverage
concentrates and syrups
• Largest distributor of non- alcoholic beverage
concentrates and syrups
• Largest marketer of non- alcoholic beverage
concentrates and syrups
• One of the largest corporations in the unites
• It owns and licences more than 500 brands,
including diet and light beverages, water, juices
and juice drinks, teas, coffees and energy and
• Offers more than 500 brands in over 200
countries and territories.
• Serves 1.6 billion every day.
• The Coca-Cola company was originally
established as the J.S. Pemberton Medicine
company, a co-partnership between Dr. John
Stith Pemberton and Ed Holland.
• In 1884, the company became a stock
company and the name changed to
Pemberton Chemical company.
• The company is best known for its flagship
product Coca-Cola invented by pharmacist
John Stith Pemberton in 1886.
• The Coca-Cola formula and brand was bought
in 1889 by Asa Candler who incorporated The
Coca-Cola Company in 1892.
COCA-COLA HISTORY - INDIA
• The Coca Cola got approval from the
Government of India in July 1996 for
setting up a company
• Coca- cola invested US $ 700 Millions.
• In July 1997 the holding company got
permission for its bottling subsidiaries.
• The company has stepped forward for
reaching 300 millions soft drink
consumers through 700,000 retail
outlets In India.
• Coca-Cola created employment for
1,50,000 people in India.
Quick look at the life & times of
• 1950-52: Coca-Cola sets up its first bottling plant
in New Delhi. For 45 days in 1952, the brand has
a booth at the International Fair in Bombay, with
a 16mm projector running Minitoons.
• 1977: Hasta La Vista, Baby: Coca-Cola leaves
India in a cloud of controversy, frustrated by the
policies of the Janata Party. There are allegations
of Indian authorities wanting the Coke formula.
• 1993: The Coca-Cola Company begins its new
innings. Acquires Parle's brands and Thums Up
joins the portfolio Launches the first campaign, a
version of the 'Hill Top' film to mark its re-entry.
Pepsi responds with an ad that says 'Thoke, is it?'
• 1999: Introduces Sprite, Diet Coke and
Schweppes in the market The Celebrity Run:
Signs up brand ambassadors Aamir
Khan, Hrithik Roshan & Aishwarya Rai for the
flagship product. Salman Khan becomes the
brawn of Thums Up Rani Mukherjee becomes
the face of Fanta.
• 2002: Thums Up emerges as the country's
No.1 soft drink Launch of 'Thanda Matlab
Coca-Cola' and 'Paanch matlab Chota Coke'
campaigns by McCann Erickson.
• 2007: Introduces Minute Maid Pulpy Orange
brand in India.
– Launches 'Little Drops of Joy', its first corporate
campaign in the country.
• 2008: Launched in 1999 under the tagline
'Bujhaye Only Pyaas, Baki All Bakwaas', Coke
changes Sprite's line to to 'Seedhi Baat, No
Bakwaas, Clear Hai!'.
• 2010: Brings the original FIFA World Cup
Trophy to India and allies with
The Commonwealth games held in Delhi as
its official beverage partner.
– Launches Minute Maid Nimbu Fresh to
compete with PepsiCo's Nimbooz which was
launched in 2009.
– Actor Imran Khan is the new face of Coke.
• 2011: Coke Studio comes to India.
– Company rolls out international camapign
'Brrr' amidst mixed reviews.
• 2012: Mango drink Maaza's new faces are
Khan and Parineeti Chopra.
• They are the first ever brand ambassadors for
Maaza which becomes the 'Most Trusted
Brand' (cold beverage category) in Brand
Equity's Most Trusted Brands survey.
• The Coca-Cola Company's Chairman &
CEO, Muhtar Kent announces investment of
US$5 billion in its Indian operations till 2020.
• Taking a break from global adaptations, ad
agency Lowe Lintas creates a new campaign
featuring Sachin Tendulkar and cricket.
• 2014: Coca-Cola signs Deepika Pdukone as
their new brand ambassador.
• A planned mix of the controllable elements of
a product's marketing plan commonly termed
• These four elements are adjusted until
the right combination is found
that serves the needs of the
product's customers, while
generating optimum income. Sometimes the
first P (Product) is substituted by presentation.
COCA-COLA MARKETING MIX
• Coca cola is the brand with the
highest brand equity. No doubt it
has gone through the ups and
downs of business to reach that
position. The marketing mix of Coca
cola has been changing over time
with more and more products being
added such that today it has 3300
4 P’s are as follows :
The company has the widest portfolio in
beverage industry comprising of 3300
products. Beverages are divided into diet
category, 100% fruit juices, fruit drinks,
water, energy drinks, tea and coffee
etc. As per Nielson’s data, Coca cola is the
No.1 brand in sparkling beverages, juice,
and retail packaged water in 2010. Coca
cola has its market presence around 200
countries. Coca cola brands in India are
Fanta, Maaza, Limca, sprite, Thums up,
Minute Maid, Nimbu fresh, Nested iced
Due to the availability of wide range
products the pricing is done according to
the market and geographic segment. Each
sub-brand of coca cola has different pricing
strategy. Their pricing strategy is based on
the competitors pricing, Pepsi is the direct
competitor to coke. Beverage market is
said to be a oligopoly market (few sellers
and large buyers), hence they form into
cartel contract to ensure a mutual balance
in pricing between the sellers.
Coca cola is the world’s most favorite
brand and is available all over the
world. The distribution system of coca
cola follows the FMCG distribution
pattern. The effective distribution
network of coke has almost eroded the
small and middle level players in the
market. In India they have captured
even the rural market by extensive
distribution and have eroded the
market share of Bovonto, Kalimark etc.
Coca cola adopts various advertising and
promotional strategies to create an increased
demand in the market by associating with life style
and behaviour and mainly targeting value based
advertising. You are more likely to see a coke ad
individualised for a particular festival or in with a
general positive message. Coca cola uses CSR as its
marketing tool to gain emotional benefits in
consumers mind. The current promotions through
CSR include “Support my school” campaign with
NDTV. It has many brand ambassadors like
Shahrukh khan, Hrithik Roshan, South Indian Actor
Vijay and Trisha , Ghambir, Aamir khan etc and has
signed contract recently with Imran khan. It allows
price discounts and allowances to distributors and
retailers in order to push more products into the
market. It employs both push strategy through
promotions and pull strategy through
advertisements and campaigns.
• The Coca Cola Company has come a long
way from selling a few servings of
carbonated beverages in a pharmacy, to an
international scale business.
• Coca Cola’s commitment to remain at the
forefront of the changing social values in
developing their marketing strategy has
proven to their advantage.
• Undoubtedly The Coca Cola Company has
developed all the elements necessary to
run a multi-million, worldwide enterprise
and refreshes all the people that come in
contact with their products.