• Global Fulbright – 155 countries with over 300,000
• Every year –
o 8000 grants/year
o 2800 US students and scholars
o 4900 visiting students and scholars to the USA
• US-UK Fulbright programme
• My format/hints and tips!
o Keep it brief
o Keep it personal
o Offer to help them with it
Meeting policy makers
• Assume they know less than they do
• Don’t be afraid to admit what you don’t know
• Use the OpenCon Community!
Developing a policy:
Paper to Fulbright Board for
o Gold and Green Open
Developing a Policy:
• Fulbright recommendations
o Yes to Open Access
o Yes to Green
• Write actual policy
o Fulbright Board endorsement of an Open
o Pilot of Fulbright open access policy by US-
UK Fulbright Commission with aim for
o Fulbright Repository
‘Making’ a Repository
• Thanks to the OpenCon Community!
o ePrints (others are available)
• US-UK Fulbright Commission pilot Open Access
policy and Fulbright Repository for 2016/17 cohort
• Funding dependent
• Aim to roll out across the Fulbright network.
• Start the conversation
• Be realistic
• Get advice from the OpenCon Community
• You know more than you think!