RICHARD L.C. PLEASANTS, MCSE, MCT & ITIL Service Manager 1615 Bewdley Road, Lancaster, VA 22503 Richard_pleasants@hotmail.com Home (804)462-0893, Cell (804)724-1952I am focused on transforming IT to directly enable core business objectives to attain increased business efficiency thrueffective IT and business models and processes.PROFESSIONAL & TECHNICAL EXPERIENCENov 2008 - Present => Managing Principal – DCS Consulting, LLCRoles and Duties • Subject Matter Expert in ITIL v2 Service Support and Service Delivery Processes and the ITIL v3 Service Strategy discipline (Service Catalog, Demand, Portfolio), and ITIL v3 Service Operations disciplines such as Request Fulfillment, and Event Management processes for commercial and public sector client. • Develop ITSM Process Mind Maps to enhance operational IT staff in getting up to speed on improved IT Service Management processes, including core process, procedures and links to detailed work instructions. • Guide and Mentor organizations in maturing their IT Operational efficiency and effectiveness, thru structured IT service management and continual IT and business process re-engineering and improvement programs. • Assist IT leadership with enterprise IT policy and IT governance development activities. • Deliver high quality ITIL, IT Service Management and IT Operations structured IT staff and executive level training • Assist clients with developing high quality IT business cases; for key IT initiatives, which support the business. • Work with Senior IT and Business/Organizational leadership on developing IT Strategic Plans and Multi-Year Roadmaps. • Assist clients with IT software tool assessments and evaluations, specifically in the IT Service Management, Service Automation, and IT Project and Portfolio Management area. • Extensive experience in P&L management, revenue forecast with multiple enterprise IT and business projects. • Excellent capture and proposal development skills with success track record of developing winning proposals. • Outstanding communication and negotiation skills across all levels of management with customers and strategic partners. • Proven track record in dealing with difficult customer situations/issues. • Proven track record in business development with at least 10% year-over-year growth.Jan 2007 – Oct 2008 => Principal Client Architect – BMC SoftwareCompany Info – Based in Houston, TX with offices worldwide (http://www.bmc.com)Roles and Duties • Member of Global Accounts Pre-sales Client Consulting Architecture team, focusing on outsourcers and Fortune 10 companies, supporting General Electric, Credit Suisse and UBS. Actively hunted for new business opportunities. • Developed and delivered Business Service Management presentations to executive C- Level client management. • Developing and delivered Technical Deep Dive Presentations to client IT Technical leadership. • Developed and presented business cases to help clients justify purchasing software and supporting consulting delivery services. This includes developing ROI and Return on Assets analysis. • Guided and mentored companies in maturing their IT Operations from reactive to proactive on the Gartner maturity model. • Subject Matter Expert in Capacity, Configuration, and IT Financial Management (including IT Asset Management) processes • Service Automation Expertise with Run Book Automation – Task Orchestration.AccomplishmentsCompleted ITIL version 2 Service Manager (Master) certification and completed CoBIT (framework) foundation training.2006 =>Technology Consulting Manager – AccentureCompany Info – $15+ Billion in annual revenue Consulting and Services organization, with over 138,000 employees.(http://www.accenture.com)Roles and Duties• Technical Lead and Project Manager for multiple projects around Data Center Operations enterprise strategy, planning, architecture, design, and full implementations for major client accounts in North America.• Developed high level and detailed IT Initiative Business Cases for client CIO, CFO and CEOs, that included ROI and ROIC.• Developed Accenture’s BMC Remedy ITSM 7.0 service offering deliverable artifacts, including base project plans, estimating factors, sales presentations, and consulting delivery guides.• Mentored and trained analysts, consultants, and junior managers in consulting delivery methodology.
• Developed client IT Services Portfolio (Catalogs), IT Governance and Measurement and IT Investment Strategies, Infrastructure Architectures, Execution and Operations Plans.• Developed RFIs and RFPs for clients; and drafted Accenture responses to numerous RFPs up to $5 million in revenue potential.• Developed multiple Accenture “Point of View” position documents for review and analysis by industry research firms.• Transformed client IT processes thru ITIL Service Support and Service Delivery disciplines, especially Configuration, Change and Release Management, as well as, IT project and portfolio management.• Recognized Expert in Enterprise Systems and Operations Management technology and process solutions.• Actively assisted Accenture Partners in hunting down new business with existing and new clients.AccomplishmentsTransformed the value of client IT; thru mapping business objectives to technology initiatives, with vendor solutions, such as Microsoft,BMC, CA, HP, and Mercury. (MS AD, SMS, MOM, BMC Remedy, CA Unicenter, CA Service Desk Plus, HP Peregrine, and MercuryApplication Mapper - MAM.).Played an active contributor role on Accenture writer review team for new ITIL Version 3 Service Strategies Book released in May 2007.2005 => Contract ITIL/MOF Strategist/ArchitectCompany InfoRole and Duties • Principal Solution Architect and Strategist in support of enterprise IT Asset Management (ITAM) client solutions, using Peregrine Asset Center and other custom IT asset management solutions. • Lead Presales Architect in support of Sales Department, including developing technical solution methodology and technical RFP responses • Acted as project engagement manager, including, but not limited to, quality control and client relationship management throughout the project lifecycles. Supported multiple projects at the same time; in varying stages of the project lifecycle. • Assisted in developing documentation standards, processes, and example artifacts, in support of acquiring ISO 9001 Certification for IT Asset Management consulting systems integrator.Accomplishments• Developed strong alliance partnership at multiple levels of the partnered organization. Developed joint engagement strategies and worked together on RFI and RFP responses to win consulting and service deals.2005 => Infrastructure Practice Director - Microlink, LLC, Raleigh, NCCompany Info – Regional Vienna, Virginia Gold Microsoft Partner specializing in the Public Sector – 125employees, privately held LLC. (http://www.microlinkllc.com)Role and Duties• Actively assisted Business Development VPs in hunting down new business in new and existing accounts (commercial and public sector)• Managed Microsoft Relationship Alliance related to Infrastructure Services. Worked with dedicated Microsoft Partner Development Executives at Microsoft corporate and in district and regional levels.• Managed P&L and meeting budget and profit targets for the National Microsoft Division, Infrastructure Services Practice.• Architected all Microsoft infrastructure service offerings including all platform services, security services, and advisory infrastructure strategy services.• Managed Resource Management and initiation of hiring of qualified infrastructure architects and consultants• Interfaced with executive management team by providing financial status and progress reporting of the practice.• Demonstrated business effectiveness skills such as establishing total cost of ownership (TCO) models for datacenters and developing a business case for cost saving opportunities.• Oversight for infrastructure consulting projects for active federal and commercial contract vehicles.• Collaboration with Sales and Marketing executive management to develop Microsoft infrastructure service offerings and support marketing efforts (shows, conferences, and executive presentations - CIO & CSO level).• Interfaced with executive management team by providing financial status and progress reporting of the practice.• Provided executive input to corporate strategic plans, budgets and direction.• Assisted in developing enterprise project management tools to manage multiple engagements in parallel.• Experience in Wireless and Wireless Security Planning and Architecture, o MAC address filtering and WEP encryption configurations and implementations.• Use of IBM Rational Tools such as ClearCase• Understanding of frameworks and models such as, CMMI, SLDC, SDM, and CoBIT, as well as, SOX compliance processes.• Expertise in application and security infrastructure architecture to support SharePoint Portal Server (SPS) 2003 , BizTalk 2004, Content Management Server (CMS 2002), Internet Security and Internet Server (ISA 2000 & 2004)Accomplishments
• Effectively manage virtual and remote teams, as well as, mentor all individuals in the infrastructure practice.• Anticipated industry trends and adapt practice offerings accordingly.• Recognized Industry expert on Microsoft Active Directory, Security Architecture, SMS, MOM, System Center 2005, and MOF/ITIL best practices and implementation strategies.• Focused on data center rationalizing (DCR) studies/opportunity assessments, server/storage/data center consolidation business case and assessments.• Renewed Microsoft Certified Trainer - MCT 20052000 – 2004 Managing Consultant/Solution Architect –National AIS HQ - Unisys Corp, Raleigh, NCCompany Info – http://www.unisys.comRoles and Duties• Business Value Architect for Business Needs Analysis for REJ/TCO Windows 2000/Office 2000 project, for a Pennsylvania Fortune 500 Corporation. Worked directly with Microsoft MCS out of Malvern, PA on developing REJ analysis tools to be used for future REJ engagements. Extensive Experience in Business Value frameworks and TCO /ROI methodologies. Possess extensive hands-on operations experience and a thorough understanding of MOF and ITIL Frameworks and components.• Developed strategic technical and business relationships with key Unisys stakeholders and assist directors and US lead architects with development of consistent, predictable processes to achieve programmatic integration of Unisys services with these key groups within Unisys. This helped provide a unified message of consistency to our existing and prospective clients.• Developed IT practice strategy, recruiting criteria, skill profiles, rules of engagement, demand forecast, training plans, training roadmaps, and Unisys services methodology and business model.• Microsoft Certified Trainer and mentor for analysts, consultants and new managers in all Unisys regions• Actively assisted Program Management with client management related to proper resource allocation and meeting client service level agreements per contract.• Collaborated with Unisys Sales people in large complex enterprise Microsoft Services deals, including but not limited to, Managed Network Services in excess of 60 million dollars on some large multi-year deals, and other enterprise multi-year client engagements• Assisted Unisys South Regional Manager with resource leveling and management in relation to engagement work flow, start and stop dates, utilization, etc.• Implemented quality control model and processes to support project teams in project success and technical viability.• Microsoft Operations Framework (MOF), Microsoft Solutions Framework (MSF), Rapid Economic Justification (REJ) Strategy Consulting solution development and engagement experience with commercial and government clients jointly with Microsoft Consulting Services & Unisys in the Eastern U.S• Microsoft Consulting Business Development in the Carolinas, Georgia, Virginia, and Florida with Microsoft to secure Marketing Funding for client technology workshops, planning sessions, and .assist MCS in the development of long term client commitment to Microsoft Technologies. Constantly hunting down new business with existing and new clients.• Collaborated in developing the Carolinas Microsoft Services annual market assessment and strategy plans, and played a hands-on role in revenue attainment for the Unisys south region (FL, GA, SC, NC, VA, TX, MS, and AL).Accomplishments• Architect and solution owner for MOM – Microsoft Operations Manager platform service offerings. Strong experience in planning, design, pilot, implementation, and support.• Architect and solution owner and Lead Developer for Go To Market “GTM” service offerings around Security Patch Management (SMS, Altiris, and Marimba).• Communicated as a lead technical vendor speaker at SMS 2003 Product Launch in Washington, DC (Fall of 2003).• Worked with Microsoft on System Center product needs assessment study in conjunction with MMS 2004 event in Las Vegas in March of 2004 (NDA agreement).• Authored Microsoft Security Patch Management Assessment Service jointly with Microsoft North American TS and MCS organizations, in multiple regions of the country.• Lead Microsoft Architect for multiple Windows 2000/2003 Active Directory, SMS 2.0/2003 and MOM 2000 enterprise projects in the Eastern United States. Example projects are PSEG (Newark, NJ), and Bally Total Fitness (Towson, MD).• Conducted Windows 2000/2003, SMS 2.0/2003, & MOM 2000 Solution Technical Services Pre-sales presentations nationwide.• Developed Unisys national (MS) practice “Management Solution Services and Windows 2000 Security” portfolio client deliverable templates and best practices documents for regional Unisys IT resources. Developed service descriptions, sales and pricing guides for Microsoft Operations Manager 2000 (MOM), Microsoft Systems Management Server, and Windows 2000 Security Workshops, Assessments, and Design service offerings.• Received Microsoft Certified Trainer Certification (MCT 2001 - 2003).• A Key Solution Architect for the development of the complete Windows 2000 & XP Pro Desktop Deployment Solution offering around the use of the Altiris Desktop Migration Tools (Deployment Server, Inventory Solution – integrates with MS SMS and Notification Server). Assisted in the development of the Unisys Desktop Deployment Consulting Guide, and Asset Management Database integration with a Peregrine Asset Management solution.• Architected solution and led Unisys regional resources in deploying MOM (Microsoft Operations Manager 2000) for an entire state government private network and all it’s agencies to support the monitoring of Windows 2000 domain controllers, relating to Active Directory replication, DNS, WINS, and FRS..
• Lead Architect for Fannie Mae SMS 2.0/2003 and Bally Total Fitness SMS 2003 projects including planning, design, pilot, implementation and support, including Patch Management solution delivery around the SMS SUS Feature Pack for enterprise clients.• Collaborated with Microsoft TS organization to deliver quick start installations of SMS 2003 in the Mid-Atlantic region. These engagements were a collaboration and joint marketing program to move clients to the next version of the SMS technology to support Patch management features and other product enhancements.June 2000 – Dec 2000 Lead Technology Solutions Consultant, Sprint Enterprise Network Services, Raleigh, NC • Lead in the Microsoft Infrastructure Practice for area IT services market, including NC, SC, and VA. • Senior Technical Sales Engineer and Business Development resource, visiting numerous existing and prospective clients to provide technical IT consulting, site analysis, and overall enterprise technical project guidance. • Senior Technical Architect on multiple Windows 2000 and SMS 2.0 Projects for long standing customers in NC and new customers piloting W2K & SMS 2.0, including DNS, WINS, and DHCP architecture reviews, related to network analysis, planning and design, at some regional banks. • Developed a Windows 2000 consulting training plan for consultants to advance IT and Business consulting skill sets and meet annual career development plans and driving new revenue streams for the local SENS office. • Developed template career development plans for consultants to use in developing their annual performance objectives. • Developed and formed “Triangle SMS Users Group” in conjunction with MCS (Microsoft Consulting Services) in Durham, NC.4/1999 – 6/2000 Principal Consultant/Infrastructure Team Lead/Manager, Software Spectrum, Morrisville, NCCompany InfoRoles and Duties • Consulting Manager/Team Lead for Infrastructure Team (Microsoft Professional Services Work), managed 3 direct-report employees on the team. Was in process of hiring 2 new employees to the group for new project work in the services sales pipeline. • Developed Technical Service Agreement pre-sales documents (Project Overview, Statement of Work, Job Costing, etc.) to present to existing and prospective clients for review and consideration • Acted as a Technical Sales Engineer, visiting numerous existing and prospective clients to provide technical IT consulting, site analysis, and overall enterprise technical project guidance • Developed Desktop Integration Test Plans and train QA engineers on the use of software testing tools • Technical Project manager for Enterprise SMS 2.0 installations in the Mid-Atlantic area with integrated NT only and NT/Novell mixed environments • Trainer for SMS Installer classes for application support and programming personnel internally and externally for clients. • Developed a working partnership with Microsoft MCS (Consulting Services) in NC and SC to develop Microsoft Infrastructure Services Business and product sales.. Active in Business Development initiatives and plans. • Executive Communication Presentation at Windows 2000 and MSS Methodology Seminar in support of the Windows 2000 Launch for current and prospective customers. • Acted as Technical Architect on multiple Windows 2000 Projects for long standing customers and new customers piloting W2K, including DNS, WINS, and DHCP architecture reviews. • Focused on growing (Business Development) the Infrastructure Services practice and assisting Team with Career Development • Engineered Windows 2000 Advanced Server and Windows 2000 Professional Test Lab for Application Development Team for consulting projects. This provided a testing area for new applications being developed.Accomplishments • Successfully completed SMS 2.0 Analysis, Planning, Development, Pilot, and full deployment for large gasoline pump manufacturer Gilbarco (client of Software Spectrum). Acted as technical SMS architect and technical project lead with direct reports. Work included training entire IT staff on basic and advanced SMS Installer packaging solutions. • Organized, developed and delivered Windows 2000 Classes for all site consultants one to two nights a week.Jan 1999 – April 1999 Team Leader, SMS/Web Development, First Security Bank, Salt Lake City, UT • Acted as a Deputy Web Team Lead over 4 developers building Intranet & Extranet standards, architecture, Client/Server web development and integration • Wrote Intranet Pilot Project Plans, intranet security policy, web coding standards, web content standards, functional requirements, integration test plans, acceptance test plans, business cases for intranet rollout, system specifications, and implementation plans • Helped develop corporate Intranet web site and web-based Application Change Control management system and Visual SourceSafe® Implementation and Design Plan. • Worked on Microsoft Site Server 3.0 evaluation to determine the scope company would implement this web management tool and integrate with the current document management system (CyberDOCS - DOCSOpen)
• Assisted in evaluating current HR Extranet web security holes and implementing solutions to close Intranet and Extranet backdoor security risks, such as DNS, WWW, FTP server vulnerabilities. • Acted as a member of a team of SMS Scripters (Server Developers) • Developed SMS Installer packages for Bank Workgroup Applications for all major Business Units within the Banking, Insurance, Acquisitions, and Investment divisions of First Security Corporation • Acted as the SMS Development Team Lead in charge of SMS Scripting and Day to Day MSSQL and Visual Basic programming staff of nine • Implemented Primivera SureTrack Project Management Software for FSITI Group developing all project-planning methodologies. • Assisted the Server Developers in coding complex SMS packages and worked with each unit of the Software Factory model including the Lab, Architecture, Test, Pilot, and Delivery teams to improve productivity • Organized and documented the technical interview process for the FSITI WRO project for prospective job candidates, including a rough draft of technical questions and answers for Novell NetWare and Microsoft SMS 1.2 as part of the overall technical interview documentation • Worked on a Network Management project as part of the Network Architecture SWAT Team related to defining and engineering SNMP alerts sent to HP OpenView via a SNMP agent on bank branch NT servers • Investigated HP software product that provides the interface to create trouble tickets in Remedy through integration with HP OpenView Network Management System. • Reviewed NetIQ extensible SNMP Agent and Management Console for implementation corporate-wide • Developed plan to implement Checkpoint’s FireWall-1 3.x suite of integrated security applications and the RealSecure (Intrusion Detection) ESM system for the corporate FSC WAN.Local Settings/Temporary Internet Files/Content.IE5/Local Settings/Temporary Internet Files/Content.IE5/My Documents/Local Settings/Temporary Internet Files/TEMP/firewall-1/index.html • Reviewed current Axent Raptor and ESM security implementation prior to developing a plan for implementation of Checkpoint’s network security suite of applications (FireWall 1, Intruder Alert, etc…) • Contract ended March 22nd, 1999.1996 – 1998 LAN Project Leader, US Postal Service (Amdahl/TRW contracts)Company InfoRoles and Duties • Managed a team of analysts (7) in certifying off the shelf software applications (COTS) and custom Postal written applications for Windows NT Workstation & Server and/or the Web applications and Browsers. Team Leader in charge of all Windows NT & Web Certifications for ACSS (App. Cert Support Services) • Managed several intranet NT IIS 3.0 & 4.0 Web servers and helped develop a concise, accurate, and live Software Configuration Change Management System on the Postal Intranet via connectivity to the various databases (Access, MS-SQL, and Oracle) through the use of Cold Fusion Application Server 3.1 • Analyzed SMS packages submitted by Postal and contract developers nationwide for compliance to Postal packaging standards based on Installation Analysis, Application Functionality Tests, integration and detailed series of regression tests • Engineered cc:Mail and related products to be integrated into a Novell NetWare 3.x & 4.x environment developed by the US Postal Service and integration with Microsoft Exchange 5.5 and Lotus Notes 4.5 • Member of the technical development team responsible for the engineering, development, and documentation of specific cc:Mail or related e-mail product solutions, specifically the automated SMS Installer (WISE Installer 6.0) installation, configuration, maintenance, and upgrade procedures to meet existing and new Novell NetWare environments 3.x and 4. • Was Senior member of the Electronic Messaging/GroupWare team in the NetWare Engineering Group • Wrote and tested SMS Install scripts (WISE Installer 6.0) in support of SQL Server 6.5 national projects • Administered MS-SQL 6.5 NT Servers remotely and locally during the entire projectAccomplishments • Participated in a team of LAN/WAN engineers architecting and implementing Microsoft SMS 1.2 nationwide • Implemented NDS for NT BETA Testing under a non-disclosure prior to Novell announcing the solution • Supported national rollout of the SMS 1.2 client on NT Workstations (650) acting as cc:Mail email TCP/IP and A sync routers. • Implemented infrastructure for MS-SMS 1.2 national domain structure, worked on project to apply Service Pack 3 to existing and all newly deployed SMS Site servers nationwide1995 – 1996 Regional Manager, Tiger Corporate DirectCompany InfoRoles and Duties • Managing a group of three, and responsible for the technical sales and tech support for high-end network hardware and software sales to Southeast region of the countryAccomplishments • Developed and setup technical Network Hardware and Software Training classes for Sales Rep staff of 55 and taught them on a monthly basis as new Network hardware and software products were available for sale • Assisted in Novell NetWare LAN and Microsoft NT Server administration, design layout, and installation for a 70 station LAN
• Assisted Visual Basic programmers in the design, interface, and networking of the Sales Information Manager software developed in-house with data stored in Microsoft Access.1990 – 1995 Owner/Manager, Dynamic Computer Solutions, Whiteville, NCCompany InfoRoles and Duties • Sole owner of Dynamic Computer Solutions, a Novell / UNIX Network Support company from 1990-1995. This business supported county government business offices, as well as police, fire, and educational institutions in Southeastern NC. The computer company was a sales, service and training partnership. • Specialized in Accounting Solutions such as Peachtree and RealWorld Accounting, as well as, municipal government software solutions. • Actively involved in profit and loss analysis and fiscal year budgeting, as well as, staff resource planning for the company. • Was actively involved with providing business and management consulting to small to medium sized businesses to improve internal business practices, workflow, and management practices. • A structured business development strategy was followed with each yearly business plan.Accomplishments • Profitable company sold in 1995. • Improved employee retention, professional career development, company revenue growth, and overhead cost reduction methods.1985 – 1992 CTM3/E-4, United States NavyRoles and DutiesTroubleshot and repaired numerous electronic communication equipment types (RF receivers & transmitters, teletype, recorders,computers, etc.) in support of the U.S. Navy Cryptologic efforts in the US.Accomplishments • Completed Basic Training, August of 1985. Finished in top 5% of BE&E school in Orlando, November 1985. • Attended Cryptologic Technician Maintenance “A” School in Pensacola, FL. Finished in top 10% of class in August 1996. • Attended 3M soldering school. Analog, Digital and RF technologies were part of continuing Naval Technical training. • Maintained a Top Secret Navy clearance (TSI) from June 1985 to October 1992.EDUCATION:• 3 Years toward a BS, Electrical Engineering (Minor in Accounting), University of Maryland, College Park, 1986-88Recent Technical Education• Implementing MS SQL Server 7.0, MS Course 833B, Software Spectrum, 1999• System Administration for MS SQL Server 7.0, MS Course 832B, Software Spectrum, 1999• Microsoft SMS 2.0 Courses (Admin & Support) 827 & 828, Software Spectrum 1999-2000• Microsoft Updating NT 4.0 Support Skills to Windows 2000 Server, MS Course 1560, 2/2000• Microsoft Windows 2000 Active Directory Implementation, MS Course 1561, 2/2000• Microsoft Train the Trainer Course, DB Basics, Inc. 3/2000• Microsoft Designing a Secure Windows 2000 Network , MS Course 2150, 5/2001• Implementing Microsoft MetaDirectory Services 2.2, MS Course 2062, 4/2001• CoBIT 4.0 Foundations Training, 4/2006• BMC Atrium CMDB version 2.0, 2/2007• BMC Remedy ITSM version 7 Installation and Configuration, 3,2007• ITIL Service Manager Service Support and Service Delivery version 2.0, 6/2007• ITIL Service Manager Bridge Course version 2 to version 3, 12/2008 (scheduled).PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS:• ISACA Virginia Chapter• itSMF Virginia ChapterPROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATIONS:ITIL Service Manager version 2 (taking online bridge v3 Expert course Now & Test in 2/11)MCP, MCSE 2000MCT (2001 - 2005)• Currently MCP (SMS 2.0, SQL 7.0 Admin, Windows 2000 Professional, Windows 2000 Server, Windows 2000 Network Infrastructure Admin, Windows 2000 Directory Service Admin, Windows 2000 Directory Service Design)