Pick a number between
8 and 15
Each row will write a summary
sentence for the following theories,
using only that amount of words…
Row 1- Weber
Row 2- Marxism
Row 3- Neo-Marxism
Row 4- Liberation Theology
“Religion- force for good or
opium of the people?”
• Antonio Gramsci- Amy, Parisa, James S
• Karl Marx- Sean, Ozden, Giles, Frankie
• Max Weber- Rebecca, Angie, Harrison, James
• Archbishop Romero- Shreya, Matthew, Mark
• Mahatma Gandhi- Katerina, Jake, Daniel
• Move into your groups
Look at the sheet you have been given
• You have each be given a ‘guest’ of the show.
Your job for now is to be TV researchers; to
prepare answers for the guest and make sure
they know how to challenge other people.
• You will be using the information packs. These
packs contain information on all the guests.
Opening Statement and General
• Use the sheet you have been given- write the
opening statement of your guest in the box
provided, and any other information you think
is important. Remember, your guests will need
to have a firm opinion on the question the
chat show will be answering:
• “Religion- force for good or
opium of the masses?” 15 mins
Challenging the other guests…
• Any good chat show has some disagreements between
• How will your guest challenge others appearing on the
• What are the points of disagreement?
• For example…
• How will Marx react to the Pope?
• What would Neo-Marxists say to Marx?
• Who will agree with the Archbishop?
• Think about how your guest will feel about the
opinions of others. What would they say to them?
Write your ideas, as a group, next to the people on the
• Who will be appearing on the show?
• Who is in the audience?
• If you are a guest, you need to help set the
room up as the studio.
• If you are a member of the audience, you have
2 minutes to think of a question to ask one of
the guests. You also have a ‘audience
response’ sheet to fill in. Who will be the most
The Sociology Chat Show
“Religion- force for
good or opium of
Who was the most convincing?
•Audience- who scored
the most out of 10?