The latent content of a dream is transformed into manifest content through
the process of dreamwork.
Dreamwork consists of the various processes listed below. These processes are
applied to repressed wishes to produce the content of the dream that is
experienced. The processes include the following.
• Condensation Dream thoughts are rich in detail and content but these are
condensed to the brief images in a dream where one dream image stands for
several associations and ideas.
• Displacement The emotional significance of a dream object is separated
from its real object or content and attached to an entirely different one so
that the dream content is not „censored‟. (Freud used the concept of a
„censor‟ who prevents disturbing thoughts reaching the conscious mind except
in a disguised form.)
• Representation A thought is translated into visual
• Symbolism A symbol replaces an action, person or idea.
• Secondary elaboration The unconscious mind collects
all the different images and ties them together to form a
logical story, further disguising the latent content.
(The actual dream material may be supplied from recent
events in a person's waking life.)
Manifest and Latent Dream Content
Interpreting your dream:
“The royal road to the unconscious”
Literal meaning of your dream
The symbolic meaning
What was going on for you in your
life at the time?
Could this help understand your