Data curator: who is s/he?
Anna Maria Tammaro
• Role definition and evolving set of competencies and skills
• Curriculum frameworks
• Is the theoretical foundation and knowledge base of LIS able to
provide frameworks for data curation education?
• Is a librarian role? An IFLA investigation first findings
The study included two phases of data collection and was designed using a mixed-method strategy:
Phase I: Content Analysis of Job Announcements
• Quantitative: Job descriptions
Phase II: Interviews with Data Curators
• Qualitative: Interviews and feedback from academia, industry and the Data curation community in
• Literature and documentary review
Aims and objectives
• to identify key responsibilities of data curators
• to develop a glossary that should help to better define the profession
• and to support education and training teachers/professionals to develop
appropriate educational curricula.
The role definition and competencies
● Data curation has emerged rapidly within professional and research
● Lifecycle management of data, researcher workflow
● Evolving more rapidly than higher education curricula or professional
● Skill requirements for professionals in data curation continues to be defined (Kim,
Warga, & Moen, 2013; Osswald, 2013)
● It is an area of inter-disciplinary research and practice
Copenhagen, AIS&T October 18th, 2016 5
How, when, where, by whom?
Is the theoretical foundation and knowledge base of LIS able to provide
frameworks for data curation education?
What are the educational qualifications and competencies required of data
curators in your country?
How has LIS education supported professional preparation of data curators so
Copenhagen, AIS&T October 18th, 2016
Comprehensive curriculum frameworks
● Digital Curator Vocational Education Europe project (DigCurV)
● Digital Curation Curriculum Project (DigCCurr)
Higher Education curricula
New data curation programs
• Open Science
• Data curation
• Digital scholarship
• archival studies,
• library and information science (LIS)
• computer science
• Units, Modules with a focus on specific domains
Level of qualifications
• Bachelor education
• computer science,
• health sciences,
• and history.
• Masters in library and information science (MLIS)
Is a librarian role?
Different position titles including
• coordinator of data curation and scholarly communications,
• data curation librarian,
• data librarian,
• data curation scientist,
• digital curation coordinator,
• e-research project officer, project scientist,
• research data management librarian, and research services coordinator.
There are challenges in educating data curators in the LIS programs:
• LIS traditionally attracts students with humanities backgrounds, while more people
with science education are needed to meet the needs of this new field;
• Weak technical background
• Low image of librarians