Scanning and OCR the Open Source WayIan Pope - Ephesoft
“Our goal is to allow everyone to enjoy a fully  featured document and data capture system that  rivals the current indust...
Ephesoft is the industry’s only Java and100% browser-based Advanced CaptureSolution that is Cloud ready out of the box.......
Scan or import documents from virtually anysource such as fax and e-mail with oneapplicationProcess your documents that ar...
Invoices medical mortgage insurance government energy telecommunication HR ...
Learns hundreds ofdocuments within minutesand sorts the documentsmore efficientlySeparates documents byidentifying where a...
Bar Code Reading        Fixed Forms ExtractionMark Sense and Handprint Recognition           PDF + text output Free Form “...
European Customer - The Challenges• Due to moving to another office building, the paper archive  was reconsidered• Digital...
The Solution• Incoming documents are scanned with a multi-  function device and picked up by Ephesoft• Ephesoft classifies...
The Benefits• Over 70% of documents are handled automatically• Remaining 30% (mostly variants) are handled by  employees a...
invoice date       6/17/2008                             account number   2-1006-475-1                             referen...
The Challenges• Australia’s biggest satellite company, also  providing technical services to the telecoms  industry.• 1,00...
The Solution• Partner was selected to provide an Ephesoft &  Alfresco solution for Accounts Payable.• Ephesoft does invoic...
The Results•Automated the accounts payable invoice approval  process•Developed flexible workflows•Integrated Alfresco, Eph...
Ephesoft includes:•   feature rich, complete Advanced Capture Solution•   easy to use and implement•   browser based and c...
What is the cost?• Zero License Cost• All features are included• Only cost is an Annual  Support/Maintenance  Subscription
Ephesoft follows the trend started by Redhat,Apache, Android, MySQL, Alfresco, ...Ephesoft is the only open source Advance...
Questions?Thank youIan Popeian.pope@ephesoft.comSkype: ianpopeportishead+44 7411 461804
Ephesoft Company Presentation
Ephesoft Company Presentation
Ephesoft Company Presentation
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in …5
×

Ephesoft Company Presentation

1,660 views

Published on

Presentation Ian Pope gave on the free Seminar, hosted by RedTree.

Published in: Technology
0 Comments
1 Like
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

No Downloads
Views
Total views
1,660
On SlideShare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
114
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
56
Comments
0
Likes
1
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide
  • Introduction slide. Ephesoft is the future of Intelligent document capture and is available today.
  • Read the goal of Ephesoft so the audience understands the mission, emphasizing the bolded words
  • Explain how documents are everywhere in the form of email, fax, or paper. Need to add MFP’s to this presentation.Example – Fujitsu fi-6130 Desktop scannerScanSnap N1800 Xerox 6505 Multi function device
  • This slide describes the major innovation Ephesoft is bringing to the market. Namely:100% java based platformBrowser based deploymentOpen standards and open source
  • Overall process of scan and process
  • Outline the multitude of document types and forms that can be processed with Ephesoft
  • Ephesoft contains a sophisticated workflow process to control the document flow. Some of the major processing steps are shown in this slide. Within each of these steps are sub processed or “plug ins” that are subsets of each major step of the workflow. These plug ins can be modified or additional ones created to provide custom processes within the workflow. When the processing by Ephesoft is complete, the images and data are exported to a database or ECM system , already indexed and ready to be accessed in production.
  • Overview of classification capabilities of Ephesoft
  • Here we discuss the extraction of data. Could mention fixed forms or unstructured forms like this invoice where we look for key anchors and values and patterns in order to extract data . Can mention the use of databases and tables to validate the data.
  • End result after validation is release of the data via several methods to a database or content management repository
  • This slide is specific to Alfresco showing the release of content into Alfresco for immediate availability for retrieval and use.
  • Summary of key points and lead on into the price.
  • Summary of key points and lead on into the price.
  • Ephesoft Company Presentation

    1. 1. Scanning and OCR the Open Source WayIan Pope - Ephesoft
    2. 2. “Our goal is to allow everyone to enjoy a fully featured document and data capture system that rivals the current industry leaders at a fraction of the cost” By 2016, Open Source Software (OSS) will be included in mission-critical software portfolios within 99% of Global 2000 enterprises.**Source: Gartner Predicts 2011: Open Source Software, the Power Behind theThrone, 23rd Nov, 2010
    3. 3. Ephesoft is the industry’s only Java and100% browser-based Advanced CaptureSolution that is Cloud ready out of the box....no need to install software on everyworkstation. Ephesoft supportsFirefox, Chrome, Safari and Explorer.Ephesoft is based on open standards and isthe first Advanced Capture Solution that canrun on Linux.
    4. 4. Scan or import documents from virtually anysource such as fax and e-mail with oneapplicationProcess your documents that are currentlystored in other repositoriesUtilize any existing hardware whether it is adepartmental document scanner, high-speedproduction scanner or MFP
    5. 5. Invoices medical mortgage insurance government energy telecommunication HR ...
    6. 6. Learns hundreds ofdocuments within minutesand sorts the documentsmore efficientlySeparates documents byidentifying where adocument starts and endsAllows operators to focuson only the exceptions
    7. 7. Bar Code Reading Fixed Forms ExtractionMark Sense and Handprint Recognition PDF + text output Free Form “unstructured” extraction Fuzzy Database document matching Cursive Handwriting Recognitioninvoice date 6/17/2008account number 2-1006-475-1reference code 22177991service code 954381amount 29.34due date 7/7/2008
    8. 8. European Customer - The Challenges• Due to moving to another office building, the paper archive was reconsidered• Digital archive should replace paper archive: – Reduce space (costs) – Documents are instantly accessible• Solution should be embedded within current organization and current staff• Solution should be scalable without any extra costs• 50 documents (200 pages) per day, about 40 different document types – invoices (90%), contracts, application forms (request forms for ordering fuel cards), bank statements and a couple of standard forms including a form to authorize payments.
    9. 9. The Solution• Incoming documents are scanned with a multi- function device and picked up by Ephesoft• Ephesoft classifies the documents and extracts metadata• Output from Ephesoft (pdf and metadata file) is used to save document to ECM• Saved documents go into workflow based on their document classification
    10. 10. The Benefits• Over 70% of documents are handled automatically• Remaining 30% (mostly variants) are handled by employees after only a few hours of training• No additional investment in employees or peripherals• All documents are digital enabling: – Quick and easy access – Searching documents by metadata – Workflows (without documents getting lost)
    11. 11. invoice date 6/17/2008 account number 2-1006-475-1 reference code 22177991 service code 954381 amount 29.34 due date 7/7/2008CMIS Multipage PDF/TIFF XML
    12. 12. The Challenges• Australia’s biggest satellite company, also providing technical services to the telecoms industry.• 1,000 staff and 1,400 contractors – 8 branches.• Multiple document-driven business processes.• Looking for an ECM solution – for now and the future – as well as a company intranet and specifically an accounts payable invoice approval solution.• Had already evaluated Microsoft SharePoint and other proprietary products.
    13. 13. The Solution• Partner was selected to provide an Ephesoft & Alfresco solution for Accounts Payable.• Ephesoft does invoice capture, creating PDF’s and metadata tags – scanning & OCR.• Using the CMIS standard, the data and all metadata tags are exported to an Alfresco repository.• Once in the Alfresco system, a workflow begins bytriggering an email in Outlook with the documentURL to the AP Dept. The invoice is then reviewed andcommented upon before final approval.
    14. 14. The Results•Automated the accounts payable invoice approval process•Developed flexible workflows•Integrated Alfresco, Ephesoft, Pronto ERP•Incorporated OCR extraction of invoice data•Reduced invoice processing time•Improved employee productivity
    15. 15. Ephesoft includes:• feature rich, complete Advanced Capture Solution• easy to use and implement• browser based and cloud ready• one application for paper, email, fax documents• Web-based scanning application• document separation and classification• data extraction – fixed and unstructured• document and data release via XML, CMIS, and more• no volume counts on users or images
    16. 16. What is the cost?• Zero License Cost• All features are included• Only cost is an Annual Support/Maintenance Subscription
    17. 17. Ephesoft follows the trend started by Redhat,Apache, Android, MySQL, Alfresco, ...Ephesoft is the only open source AdvancedDocument Capture solution available.It is a true Enterprise Solution with full 24/7enterprise support.
    18. 18. Questions?Thank youIan Popeian.pope@ephesoft.comSkype: ianpopeportishead+44 7411 461804

    ×