Started in a call center, worked for government on helpdesk, moved into security and auditing law enforcement, training, server support, data warehousing, early OBIA adopters with ODI, RMA in 2015, ODTUG Leadership Program, ODI lead, ODTUG Analytics Community lead, UKOUG, US-A, Team manager, Project Manager, Sr. BI Architect. When I am at a spot along this path, I couldn’t see or have any idea 2 steps ahead. It isn’t until you take that next step that you can see one more step in the future.
For issues, but also when you don’t have issues. First try to solve yourself, but don’t spin your wheels long. There are people who like to help out. And there are people who are experts in this specific area.
Figure out a thing. Then 6 weeks later you can’t remember and have to figure it out again. Notes, then notes with screenshots, then blogs, then presentations
Proving that your technical, first assumption is not technical, still a work in progress, you should really confront
USE this slide in your presentations!!!!
Kscope19 Turbocharging Your Career
Turbocharging Your Data
Who Am I?
Wife; Mother of 3 (ages 17, 14, and 10);
2nd degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do
Red Cross Blood Drive Coordinator
ODTUG Analytics Community Leader
Sr BI Architect at US-Analytics
15 years in IT
IRC Channel (Telegram): #obihackers
Who Am I?
Wife; Mother of 2 (ages 22, and 20);
Master of Science (computer science) University of Helsinki, currently a doctoral student, researcher and
lecturer at University of Helsinki
Worked with Oracle products since 1993, worked for IT since 1990
Data and Database!
CEO for Miracle Finland Oy
Oracle ACE Director
Ambassador for EOUC (EMEA Oracle Users Group Community)
Listed as one of the TOP 100 influencers on IT sector in Finland (2015, 2016, 2017, 2018)
Public speaker and an author
Author of the book Oracle SQL Developer Data Modeler for Database Design Mastery (Oracle Press, 2015), co-
author for Real World SQL and PL/SQL: Advice from the Experts (Oracle Press, 2016)
• From outside the path looks like this:
• In reality it has been like this
• Finish small jobs immediately
• Write lists (less stress when it’s concrete)
• Ask for help
• When I was writing the book the boys cooked !
• The best thing I have done was to taught the boys how to
• On Sat or Sun I prepare my next week (add in the
calendar, also sports), I will change it during the week
but I at least have a plan for the week and the calendar
reminds me of things I should do (no need to
remember and stress)
Small tips and hints
• Remote work, more efficient
• No spending time in the traffic
• Laundry, dishes, spending time with the family, time for
• If you are tired, a nap for 15 min and you are as good as new
• Listen to your body
• I do work on weekends but only as much as my body system
allows, if I need to rest I rest
Small tips and hints
• Be an example
• Whatever you do make sure you will feel ok to look in the
• Be proud of yourself and show that
• Take your space! But not at somebody else’s expenses.
• Be yourself, do not try to be somebody else
• Support others
• Be nice to people
What can You do?
• Prioritizing, prioritizing and prioritizing
• Making decisions
• Love to learn
• Saying: Yes
• If you get an opportunity, do not forget to say yes!
• You have time later to be afraid and regret
What are my skills?
• It is always balancing...do not expect that it will be
easier when something happens (”when the kids go to
school, when they...”)
• I started my first company when my boys were 1 and 3
• BUT keep the priorities! You and the family must always
Work and family
• I only started traveling when the younger one was 8YO
(my personal decision, not saying everybody should do
so) and very slowly (2007 trip to Croatia I took the
whole family with me)
• Make sure your family knows what you do
• Boys to the office
• Family members to attend events with me
Work and family
• Nobody else will...
• Rest, eat well, enjoy life,...
• Physical Excercise is a MUST!
• Never, ever sacrifice yourself! DO NOT feel quilty for
thinking about yourself!
• ” Put on your own oxygen mask before helping those
Take care of YOU
• A friend at the gym asked me: ”How are you today?”
• I replied: ”Great! Never better!”
• She replied: ”How can you always be so happy?”
• I replied: ”It’s my life. If I’m not happy about
something I change it. Then I’m happy again.”
• She said: ”WOW!”
• If you like what you are doing you can have 42 hours…
How are you today?
• Places to go
• Things to do
• People to see
Places to go
• Stack overflow
Things to do
• Read blogs
• Watch videos
• Learn more and don’t stop learning more
• When you learn, write a blog and/or give a presentation
People to See
• Oracle ACEs/Groundbreakers/Java Champions
• User Groups
• Local Meetups
• DO NOT let anybody else define who and what you are!
or what you are capable of.
• Ignore pointless, negative comments
• Believe in yourself
• This is something I work on everyday but I am getting
Keep distance from the negative
• If you do not like your work, change it.
• The world is full of different kinds of jobs
LOVE your work
• You need to trust yourself. If you learn that you will do
great in life!
• You make your future…
• Reach for the STARS, do not forget to DREAM.
• Without that I would not be
Do not be afraid of challenges!
Nominate yourself or someone you know: acenomination.oracle.com