The Purpose of research and why it
is important in advertising
To find out about the brand/product
To see what is popular in advertisement
To find out successful marketing techniques
To learn about the History of the brand/product.
• Primary Research is a collection of data that you have gathered
• Primary research is very useful as you have complete control over
what specific things you want to find out and how it is collected.
• There are a few disadvantages of primary research, one of these
disadvantages is that it is very time consuming to collect the data
that is needed.
• Questionnaires and surveys are both examples of primary market
For my research I will be doing an online questionnaire on Coca
Cola asking questions about the brand and the products and I will
also be doing a focus group showing the group two coca cola
adverts and asking them questions about the adverts and the
brand to see what people think about their style of advertising and
what effect the advert has on an audience.
• My Questionnaire is Quantitative because I have used closed
questions to gather a lot of information quickly. By creating a
questionnaire it is easier to get an idea of what a bigger audience
like about the brand making it easier to identify the qualities I
need to use in my advert. The answers can be displayed in charts,
and there will be a chart for each question so that I can see what
the majority of people chose as their answer.
• My Focus Group is Qualitative as they are open questions that
require a detailed response. Although I’m only gathering views on
the brand from a smaller audience it is very effective because I am
getting a detailed response about the brand and the advert giving
me more knowledge on what the audience of the advert likes. I
will record the responses so that I can go back to them later.
• Secondary research is second hand data that already exists from
someone else’s research.
• Secondary research is useful to gather a lot of information quickly .
• Disadvantages of secondary research includes quality of research
and the reliability of that research.
• I will use secondary research to find out important
information about the brand and use it to search up
other Coca Cola adverts to get an idea of their style of
advertising and who their target audience is.
• I will also use market research that has already been
created and is available online or is available in other
resources such as books.
• My secondary research is qualitative because I am
collecting detailed information from previous market
research and adverts, however this may not be
completely reliable because the quality of the data
may not be accurate.