A Guide To Content Seeding By Rebecca Hesilrige email@example.com @beckyhesilrige linkedin.com/in/rebeccahesilrige
ContentsContent Seeding Plan 1. Plan 2. Create 3. Seed What is Seeding? The Big 3 Also Consider..Social Bookmarking Blogs & Journalists 4. Measure 5. Manage The Ongoing Cycle
Content Seeding Plan• 1. Plan • 3. Seed – Goals – Which Platforms? – User Research – Social Networks – Message – Social Bookmarking – Budget – Blogs – Format – Journalists – Source • 4. Measure• 2. Create – Understand what you are measuring – Quality – Proxies – Evergreen Content – Traffic – Links – Leads – Keywords – Clear Titles • 5. Manage – Keeping track of performance goals – Updating content regularly – Monitor content interaction
1. PlanGoals – What do you want to achieve with this content? Traffic? Buzz? Sales?Reviews?User Research – Know your users. Age? Gender? Location? Interests? Tailoryour content around this demographic.Message – Your content needs to include a clear message, whether it be ‘buy me’ or ‘share me’, make sure the user has a call to action.Budget – How much do you want to invest in your content? This will decidewhat type of format you use.Format – Articles? Blogs? Posts? Videos?Source – Who will create your content? In house? Outsourced?
2. CreateQuality - Great content has to engage the reader, make that it is interesting, unique and wellwritten.Evergreen Content - "Evergreen" content means that the information will not be outdated amonth from now, try to include this as often as possibleLinks - Include links to point the user to your website or to other relevant content and pageswithin your siteKeywords – Include key words which you are trying to rank for in search engines. Help them tostand out to readers by putting them in different colours, fonts, or formats.Clear titles – Make it clear what you are going to talk about, this will not only make your contentmore noticeable, but it will also help search engines to monitor your content.Meta Data - Include meta data to help search engines learn what your content is about, and tocategorise it effectively
3. SeedDepending on your goals, you will have to decide which platforms to seed yourcontentSocial Networks – Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn and many more nichesitesSocial Bookmarking – There are hundreds of social bookmarking sites available,however Reddit, Digg, Stumbleupon and Delicious will help you get the best resultsBlogs – You can either set up your own blog to update regularly, or formrelationships with bloggers who will blog about your services.Journalists – Journalists are always looking for new and interesting news. Formbonds with relevant journalists so that they can publish press releases and articlesbased around your services.
What is Seeding? Social Media Likes, Retweets, Buzz, Traffic & Sites +1s, Shares Conversions Social Buzz, Traffic & Sharing & Links Bookmarking ConversionsContent Keywords & Buzz, Traffic & Blogs Links Conversions Keywords & Buzz, Traffic & Journalists Conversions Links
Social Networks – The Big 3 To help content spread throughout Facebook build a strong base of engaged fans to share your content with. To do this offer your fans something unique within your business page; discounts, promotions, unique content, competitions are just a few examples. Content can spread quickly through Twitter via Retweets. Firstly - make sure that you build up a large and (more importantly) relevant following to expose your content to. Secondly, -interact with key influencers who are likely to retweet your content to their many relevant followers. After Google, YouTube is the second largest search engine. Therefore if you are looking to seed video content it is imperative you create an account with this site. Include relevant tags and keywords
Also Consider...LinkedIn is a site dedicated to professionals. Here you can make yourself anauthority within your industry by publishing content within relevant groupsand discussionsVimeo is a video sharing site similar to YouTube. It has more of a communityof established film makers and photographers, and is great for films which arearty, in-depth and well designed.Google + is the fastest growing social network around. As it is owned byGoogle and is integrated within social search, it is important to establish apresence on here The new kid on the block, Pinterest is growing at a rapid rate and is very popular with visual companies such as fashion, food and photography. ‘Pin’ your photos onto your Pinterest site and tag with relevant key words to get your photos found.
Social BookmarkingSocial Bookmarking sites such as Digg, Reddit, Stumbleupon and Delicious allow users whowould not normally be exposed to your content to discover and share it.By including links within your content, users can find your website and its servicesBy including keywords within your content, you are increasing your ranking in search engines,which will also result in users finding your website and it’s services Site Visits Social Content Sharing Conversions Bookmarking Buzz
Blogs & JournalistsBlogs – By producing a blog you can receive a variety of benefits, such as: Including Key words Linking back to your site Interacting with customers Keeping customers up to date with news/promotions etc Maintaining branding and reputationAlternatively you can contact established bloggers and ask them to eitherwrite a blog post about your brand, or to publish a post you have already written. Thiscan help your content to reach an relevant audience which has already been built upJournalists – Contact established journalists in your industry with articles andstories about your brand. Journalists are often on the look out for interesting industrynews, and if yours is relevant you may find it on one of your top industry websites.
4. MeasureUnderstand what you are measuring – Firstly decide on what you want to measure, whetherthat be social buzz, traffic or conversions. Each of these have very different ways of beingmeasuredProxies – Proxies are a great indicator of social buzz and brand sentiment. A few examples ofuseful proxies are: Facebook Likes Retweets Shares Reblogs Comments Followers @mentionsTraffic – Google Analytics is a fantastic tool to help you track traffic to your website. Hereyou can search Traffic sources to find out exactly which social platform your traffic is comingthrough, and whether there has been a general increase in traffic since you began contentseeding.Leads – Also by using Google Analytics you can track any increase in conversions, and fromwhich platform they came.
5. ManageIt is important to continuously manage your content based around the resultsyou are receiving to receive the best possible result.Do this by:Keeping track of performance goals – Keep in mind what yourPerformance goals are and whether your content is reaching this ideal. Ifnot, re-evaluate your strategy and change your content accordinglyUpdating content regularly – Content which is out of date not only reflectsbadly but can be misleading for potential customers, as well as potentiallyaffecting your SEO ranking.Monitor content interaction – Never forget that your reputation is involvedIn your content - reply to any questions or comments as quickly as possible
The Ongoing Cycle Content Seeding Plans are an ongoing Plan cycle Once content begins seeding, you will be able to measure it’s successManage Create Based on it’s success you can move onto planning further content based on your findings, or tweaking your current content for better results. Measure Seed
Get In Touch!Feel free to get in touch if you have any questions or need any advice firstname.lastname@example.org @beckyhesilrige linkedin.com/in/rebeccahesilrige