A question tag is a short question at the end
of a statement:
He won the prize, didn’t he?
We use question tags when we
want to check if information is
1. Use question tags at the end of a
He doesn’t win the prize, does he?
NEGATIVE QUESTION TAG
If the sentence is positive, the question tag is
You have seen that film, haven’t you?
POSITIVE QUESTION TAG:
If the sentence is negative, the question tag is
You haven’t seen that film, have you?
If the sentence contains a negative word (never,
hardly…) the question tag is positive:
Ann never goes anywhere, does she?
Questions tags consist of …
AUXILIARY VERB + PRONOUN:
I shouldn’t laugh, shouldshould II?
Sarah was winning, wasn’twasn’t sheshe?
We use the auxiliary verb that is used in the previous
sentence. If there is no auxiliary verb, se use “do/does”
(present tense) and “did” (past tense):
You live near here, don’tdon’t you?
You turned left, didn’tdidn’t you?
The pronoun refers to the subject of the previous sentence.
Some verbs form question tags differently
I am aren’t I?
I’m helpful, aren’t I?
There is isn’t there?
There is a chemist’s near here, isn’t there?
There are aren’t there?
There are many shops in the area, aren’t
This is / That is isn’t it?
That’s your wife over there, isn’t it?
When we answer question tags, we often use short
A: You are French, aren’t you?
B: Yes, I amYes, I am. / No, I’m notNo, I’m not. SHORT
A: She’s got a dog, hasn’t she?
B: Yes, she hasYes, she has. / No, she hasn’tNo, she hasn’t. SHORT
A: You smoke, don’t you?
B: Yes, I doYes, I do. / No, I don’tNo, I don’t. SHORT ANSWERS
But you don't really love her, do you?
This will work, won't it?
Well, I couldn't help it, could I?
But you'll tell me if she calls, won't you?
We'd never have known, would we?
The weather's bad, isn't it?
You won't be late, will you?
Nobody knows, do they?
1.YOU SHOULD PAY YOUR CREDIT CARD BILL, __ ____?
2. THEY HAVE TO DRIVE TO CHICAGO NEXT WEEK, __
3. THOSE CARROTS AREN'T VERY GOOD, ____ ______?
4. YOU LOVE ME, ___ ____?
5. YOU CAN'T PLAY THE PIANO, ___ ____?
6. SHE HAS TO WORK THIS EVENING, ____ ___?
7. SHE HAD TO WORK YESTERDAY TOO, ____ ___?
8. ROB WILL GO FISHING WITH US THIS WEEKEND, __
9. YOU WERE ABLE TO FIND IT ON THE INTERNET, __ __?
10. THIS QUIZ WASN'T TOO HARD, _____ ____?
1. PAUL'S FROM LIVERPOOL, _______ ?
2. GRACE STUDIED PHYSICS AT UNIVERSITY,___ ?
3. YOU DON'T SMOKE, _________ ?
4. YOU KNOW HOW TO DRIVE, ________ ?
5. HE'LL COME TO THE PARTY, ________ ?
6. THE CAPITAL OF CHINA IS BEIJING, ________ ?
7. SHE ISN'T JOKING, _____________ ?
8. YOU WEREN'T LATE FOR WORK AGAIN, _____ ?
9. IT'S FREEZING TODAY, ________ ?
10. JESSICA'S NOT ANGRY, _________ ?
• 11. You've heard the news, __________ ?
12. I'm not late for the meeting, ________ ?
13. Mike's already gone home,________ ?
14. You couldn't lend me fifty euros, _________ ?
15. The film hasn't started yet, ________ ?
16. You're going to go away this weekend, ________
17. They lost the match, _________ ?
18. It can’t be dark already, _________ ? It's only
19. There's an Al Pacino film on TV tonight, _______
20. Eva sings very well, _______ ?
21. Oh no! They're vegetarians,_________? And I've made a
22. Your sister couldn't give me a lift,_________? My car won't
23. The flight from Paris arrives at ten o'clock , ___________?
24. Let's go out tonight,__________?
25. You will remember to get some petrol before you set
26. There weren't any mistakes in my essay,________ ?
27. Don't forget to turn off the computer before you
28. Everybody enjoyed Tom's party,_________?