OUTLINEOUTLINE• What is it?What is it?• CompositionComposition• PropertiesProperties• What is its applicability?What is its applicability?• BenefitsBenefits• Limitations of RPCLimitations of RPC• ConclusionConclusion
33INTRODUCTIONINTRODUCTION• A composite material & ultra high strength.A composite material & ultra high strength.• Mixture of fiber reinforced, super plasticized,Mixture of fiber reinforced, super plasticized,silica fume, cement & quartz sand with verysilica fume, cement & quartz sand with verylow water cement ratio.low water cement ratio.• Quartz sand used instead of ordinaryQuartz sand used instead of ordinaryaggregate. Therefore increases compressiveaggregate. Therefore increases compressivestrengthstrength. (. ( Young’s Modulus 50 to 75 GPa )Young’s Modulus 50 to 75 GPa )22
COMPOSITIONCOMPOSITION• The material having the largest particle size inThe material having the largest particle size inRPC is the sand.RPC is the sand.• The higher the density, the greater theThe higher the density, the greater thestrength & lower the permeability.strength & lower the permeability.• Water cement ratio used in RPC ranges fromWater cement ratio used in RPC ranges from0.15 to 0.25 (as low as 0.13).0.15 to 0.25 (as low as 0.13).11• Strength more than 200MPa can be achieved ,Strength more than 200MPa can be achieved ,cured at 90cured at 90 °C (( bath for 48 hrs. , after initial set ).bath for 48 hrs. , after initial set ).44
Components with functionsComponents with functionsparametersparametersComponentsComponents SandSand CementCement Quartz powderQuartz powder(150-600(150-600μμm) (SG=2.75)m) (SG=2.75) Silica fumeSilica fume(25% by weight)(25% by weight) Steel fibersSteel fibers(2.5-10% by volume)(2.5-10% by volume) SuperplasticiserSuperplasticiserFunctionFunction parametersparameters Give strength toGive strength toaggregateaggregate Binding materialBinding material Maximum reactivityMaximum reactivityduring heat-treatingduring heat-treating Filling the voidsFilling the voids Improve ductilityImprove ductility Reduce water bindingReduce water binding
PROPERTIES OF RPCPROPERTIES OF RPC1. COMPRESSIVE STRENGTH1. COMPRESSIVE STRENGTH• Higher compressive strength thanHigher compressive strength thanHPC(HPC(High-performance concrete )• Compressive Strength: (200 to 800 MPa)Compressive Strength: (200 to 800 MPa)22• 100MPa or greater 24 hours after initial100MPa or greater 24 hours after initialset.set.33
2. FLEXTURAL STRENGTH2. FLEXTURAL STRENGTH• Plane RPC possess high flextural strengthPlane RPC possess high flextural strengththan HPCthan HPC• By introducing steel fibers, RPC can achieveBy introducing steel fibers, RPC can achievehigh flextural strength.high flextural strength.
3. WATER ABSORPTION3. WATER ABSORPTIONhttp://theconstructor.org/concrete/reactive-powder-concrete/1266/
4. DURABILITY4. DURABILITY• No carbonation or penetration of chloridesNo carbonation or penetration of chloridesand sulfates, high resistance to acid attack.and sulfates, high resistance to acid attack.• Due to low and disconnected pore structureDue to low and disconnected pore structureresulting from the size of the powderresulting from the size of the powdermaterials)materials)• Heat cured RPC show higher value thanHeat cured RPC show higher value than
5. COMPACTNESS:5. COMPACTNESS:By aBy application of pressure before andpplication of pressure before andduring concrete setting period.during concrete setting period.6. MICROSTRUCTURE:6. MICROSTRUCTURE:Microstructure of the cement hydrateMicrostructure of the cement hydratecan be changed by applying heat treatmentcan be changed by applying heat treatmentduring curing.during curing.7. MATERIAL DUCTILITY:7. MATERIAL DUCTILITY:Material ductility can be improvedMaterial ductility can be improvedthrough the addition of short steel fibresthrough the addition of short steel fibres..
2. CONTAINMENT OF NUCLEAR2. CONTAINMENT OF NUCLEARWASTEWASTE• Used for isolation and containment ofUsed for isolation and containment ofnuclear wastes.nuclear wastes.• It has been used for blocking of containmentIt has been used for blocking of containmentwaste.waste.
BENEFITSBENEFITS• Self-placing, requires no internal vibration.Self-placing, requires no internal vibration.• The large amount of superplasticizer still makesThe large amount of superplasticizer still makesit workable.it workable.• Basically, structures needing light and thinBasically, structures needing light and thincomponents and anything that needs extracomponents and anything that needs extrasafety or security such as blast resistantsafety or security such as blast resistantstructures.structures.
LIMITATIONS OF RPCLIMITATIONS OF RPC• No Code!No Code!• RPC replace steel in compression membersRPC replace steel in compression memberswhere durability issues risk. So long termwhere durability issues risk. So long termproperties are not yet known.properties are not yet known.
CONCLUSIONCONCLUSION• It has immense potential in constructionIt has immense potential in constructiondue to its superior, mechanical &durabilitydue to its superior, mechanical &durabilityproperties.properties.• RPC has ultra dense micro structure ,RPC has ultra dense micro structure ,giving advantageous water proofing &giving advantageous water proofing &durability characteristics.durability characteristics.
REFERENCESREFERENCES(1)(1) .. Abouzar Sadrekarimi, Development of aAbouzar Sadrekarimi, Development of alightweight reactive powder concrete,lightweight reactive powder concrete, journal ofjournal ofadvanced concrete technology,advanced concrete technology, No. 3, vol. 2No. 3, vol. 2(2). A.S.Dili & Manu Santhanam, Investigation on(2). A.S.Dili & Manu Santhanam, Investigation onRPC:A developing ultra high strength technology,RPC:A developing ultra high strength technology,TheThe IndianIndian concrete journal, Aconcrete journal, April 2004.pril 2004.(3). http://pcwww.liv.ac.uk/~lethanh/RPC.htm(3). http://pcwww.liv.ac.uk/~lethanh/RPC.htm(4). www.dicata.ing.unibs.it/plizzari/CD