HOW TO USE THE LINKEDIN PUBLISHING PLATFORM (LONG-FORM POSTS)
A STEP-BY- STEP FOR
HOW TO USE THE LINKEDIN
PUBLISHING PLATFORM (LONG-
FORM POSTS) & GET ONTO
BY: RACHEL A. ADLER
LinkedIn launched its
initiative back in 2012
with big names like
Richard Branson, Bill
Gates, and Barack
Obama, evolving the
site from a place to
simply network, to a
place to also find
inspiration and advice.
The roster of
throughout the year.
Influencers to include
only the most engaged,
prolific and thoughtful
contributors and to
ensure that their
expertise matches up
with our members'
ARE YOU ON LINKEDIN?
ARE YOU USING LINKEDIN TO ITS FULL POTENTIAL?
“That’s a post! You’ve got to write that. That’s how you build your company’s talent brand.”
– Jeff Weiner, LinkedIn’s Networker-in-Chief
“YOU’RE INVITED TO PUBLISH”
• LinkedIn is in the process of
rolling out this feature to all
members in the coming months.
You'll be notified on your
homepage when you've been
granted access to the publishing
• If you can’t wait for LinkedIn
Publishing (Long-Form Post) Sign
up for the Wait List:
• LinkedIn’s publishing system lets the
Influencers share text accompanied by
images, with no limitations on word
• For members who choose to
participate, the posts will appear on
their profiles where they will “live
forever” as a part of your professional
THINGS TO CONSIDER BEFORE POSTING
• What do you want to achieve?
• Think about what you want to accomplish before you write. You need
to decide what you want to achieve by posting this post/blog post.
• Do you want to connect to more thought leaders?
• Do you want to be in a community of these thought leaders on
• You need to show your knowledge. Be someone that people see worth
in connecting with.
• What is the tone?
• Find your voice.
• Do you want to create a discussion?
• Do you want your audience asking questions or commenting on your
• Are you promoting your brand or your companies brand?
• Is it both? If it is to attract more people to your company brand you
need to tease them with snippets from a prior post on your company
GETTING STARTED GUIDE
• For tips on conquering the blank page, see 7 Secrets to
Writing Well on LinkedIn
• Always press Preview before publishing
• In Preview, check that:
• No words are misspelled
• Your images look good
• Links work and go to the right place
• You've given proper attribution
• After publishing: Share on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter
• Check back with your post to see comments and respond
STEP 1: THE BASICS
• Click the share an update button. Look for the
pencil icon and click to create a post on your
homepage for LinkedIn.
STEP 2: GET YOUR WRITING ON
• Write what you know.
• Write often.
• Follow interesting
• Look to the headlines.
• See what is trending in
your network. Look to
Twitter and Google
plus as well.
• Know your audience &
know your topics.
• Be passionate about
Unique monthly visitors
Page views per quarter
Use LinkedIn 5X more to
content and insights than
use our job properties (2)
Are 2X more likely to
trust information from
LinkedIn than from
and publishers for
CONNECT YOUR CONTENT TO YOUR AUDIENCE
THE LARGEST NETWORK OF HIGH-QUALITY, ENGAGED PROFESSIONALS WHO CRAVE NEWS AND INSIGHTS
Sources: 1. LinkedIn Internal study – Audience 360; 2. LinkedIn internal data, September 2012
KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE
• See who you are writing for.
• Use the mobile app LinkedIn Connected
if you are a iOS user.
• LinkedIn Connected helps you strengthen
your professional relationships quickly
and easily. You'll get all the relevant
updates about the people you know, from
job changes to work anniversaries, so you
can reach out when it matters most.
• Look at your connections from other
social networks or your email
• You can use Rapportive my secret
weapon, it is a plugin for Gmail.
Rapportive shows you everything about
your contacts (Social media and if you are
connected to them) right inside your
inbox. Linksy’s Email Guesser-This tool
will help you guess someone's email
address. It generates possible email
addresses and then checks them against
Gravatar to see if there is a photo to
match. * I use these tools together.*
• See the break down of your network
• *Available only after you have posted.
STEP 3: ALWAYS ATTRIBUTE
• When in doubt link
• Don’t be like this:
• BuzzFeed Politics Writer Is
Fired Over Plagiarism
New York Times-Jul 26, 2014
• Plagiarism Scandal Tests a
Senator Still Forming a
Rapport With Montanans
New York Times-Jul 26, 2014
• Instead model after:
• Warning: Your Workplace
Can Improve By Adding Joy.
Yes, I said Joy.
• The #1 Tip to Telling Your
Business’s Story Online
UNDERSTAND YOUR STATS
EYE SYMBOL: VIEWS
THUMBS UP: LIKES ON LINKEDIN TO YOUR
COMMENT BUBBLE: COMMENTS ON POST
TWEET: TWITTER’S OFFICIAL SHARE BUTTON
FLIKE: FACEBOOK’S OFFICIAL SHARE BUTTON
G+1: GOOGLE PLUS’S OFFICIAL SHARE BUTTON
INSHARES: LINKEDIN’S OFFICIAL SHARE
THE DEFINITIVE PLATFORM FOR PROFESSIONAL KNOWLEDGE
THE VALUE FOR PUBLISHERS
• INCREASED CONTENT DISTRIBUTION.
• REFERRAL TRAFFIC TO BOTH YOUR PERSONAL BRAND & YOUR COMPANY’S BRAND.
• EXPOSURE AND BRAND AWARENESS AMONGST LINKEDIN’S HIGH QUALITY AUDIENCE.
• ACCESS TO UNIQUE DATA AND INSIGHT VIA PLUGINS AND APIS.
INFLUENCERSPULSE PUBLISHING ON
LINKEDIN OVERVIEW & FAQS
• Long-Form Posts on LinkedIn – Overview
• Best Practices
• Viewing Stats on Your Long-Form Posts
• Developer information for publisher:
• How To Get Listed in Pulse
• Pulse offers easy access to the best sources of professional news and
insight across LinkedIn platform.
• Submit a link to your RSS feed with headlines, full article text and
images to email@example.com
• Applying to the LinkedIn Publishing Platform
CONNECT WITH RACHEL ANNA ADLER
DIGITAL NATIVE, GOURMAND & CERTIFIED SOCIAL MEDIA STRATEGIST
CERTIFIED SOCIAL MEDIA STRATEGIST AND PUBLIC
AFFAIRS ASSOCIATE WITH VAST EXPERIENCE IN
MANAGING EXTERNAL PUBLIC RELATIONS, NEW MEDIA,
AND MEDIA AGENCIES.
HAVE ANY QUESTIONS FEEL FREE TO ASK:
• GOOGLE VOICE: 347.829.4527
• E-MAIL: RADINTEGRATEDMEDIA@GMAIL.COM
**TWEETS, FACEBOOK, GOOGLE+, LINKEDIN & ANY OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA PLATFORMS POST ARE PERSONAL OPINIONS ONLY.**
CONNECT WITH ME ON LINKEDIN
FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER
LEARN ABOUT ME
• 3 TIPS TO HELP YOU ROCK THE LINKEDIN PUBLISHING PLATFORM BY JENNIFER
• 6 BENEFITS OF LINKEDIN PUBLISHING YOU CAN’T AFFORD TO IGNORE BY RYAN
• 6 TIPS FOR WRITING SUCCESSFUL LINKEDIN ARTICLES BY AMANDA DISILVESTRO
• 7 ESSENTIAL LINKEDIN MARKETING STATS: WHEN TO POST, WHAT TO POST AND HOW
TO IMPROVE BY KEVAN LEE
• HOW TO WRITE YOUR FIRST BLOG POST ON THE LINKEDIN PUBLISHING PLATFORM BY
• LESSONS FROM JEFF WEINER, LINKEDIN’S NETWORKER-IN-CHIEF BY ADAM LASHINSKY
• LINKEDIN'S 'SHARE' BUTTON: HERE'S THE SECRET BEHIND ITS DISPROPORTIONATE
POWER IN SOCIAL MEDIA BY JIM EDWARDS
• SOCIAL MEDIA SMACKDOWN: LINKEDIN VS. TWITTER BY JEFF HADEN
• THE 7 SECRETS TO WRITING KILLER CONTENT ON LINKEDIN BY DANIEL ROTH
• THE LATEST LINKEDIN FEATURES YOU SHOULD START USING TODAY BY WILLIAM
HOW CONTENT APPEARS ON LINKEDIN: PLATFORMS
TOP HEADLINE EMAILS
NETWORK UPDATE STREAM
HOW CONTENT APPEARS ON LINKEDIN: DEVICES
LINKEDIN FOR IPAD
LINKEDIN FOR IPHONE PULSE (ANDROID & IOS)
LINKEDIN SENDS NEARLY
FOUR TIMES MORE PEOPLE
TO YOUR HOMEPAGE THAN
TWITTER AND FACEBOOK
this gap based on a two-
year research study
involving 2 million
monthly visits to 60
which accounted for
nearly two-thirds of all
social referrals to
nearly quadrupled the
• LinkedIn: 64% of
social referrals to
• Facebook: 17%
• Twitter: 14%