A hut or bungalow,
rented or owned
insure your house & contents
to protect against
Home Insurance covers the following:
1. Buildings insurance – damage to buildings;
2. Contents insurance - damage to contents;
3. All-risks cover – loss or damage to valuables;
4. Liability insurance – injury to others in or around
your home, damage to other people’s property.
BUILDING INSURANCE COVERS:
The main structure of your home and domestic
Permanent fixtures to your home, for example, fitted
kitchen, bathroom, floors, etc.
i.e. whatever you can’t take with you when you move.
What is usually covered by buildings
Damage caused by:
• Fire, explosion, lightning or earthquake;
• Flooding, storm and subsidence, with some restrictions;
• Riot, vandalism, or other violent acts;
• Burglary or attempted burglary that results in property
• Water or oil escaping from a fixed appliance such as a water
• Vehicles, animals, etc, damaging buildings, walls & fences;
• Falling trees and branches.
• This can be a separate policy to your
buildings insurance or a combined policy with
your buildings insurance.
• This includes items that you will take with you
when you leave the house, e.g. Furniture /
fixtures, gold / silver articles, electrical /
electronic items etc.
How much do I insure my contents
• You should insure your contents for the
figure it would cost to replace them.
• There may be a minimum amount you
can insure your contents for.
What is usually covered?
• Loss or damage to items on a “new for old” basis.
• Accidental damage to household equipment.
• Loss or damage to items you temporarily remove
from the house – does not include glass or fragile
• Cash stolen from your home, up to a limit.
Public Liability Insurance
• Included in most policies.
• Covers costs, fees and expenses that you are legally
liable for if a 3rd party can prove that you were at
fault, e.g. someone on your property gets ill, has an
accident, is injured or dies. Plus accidental damage
you cause to someone else’s belongings.
• Does not cover accidents that happen to members of
your family and damage that you cause to your
Apartment Package Insurance
• This insurance plan is intended to protect the
home-owners of apartments against accidental
damage of the building. The damage covered under
this policy are a variety of disasters such as storm,
fire, theft, vandalism and related hazards.
• Covers failure of Lifts, DG Set, Motor Pumps and
other machinery / equipments.
• Covers Workmen Compensation to workers in case
of death or injury while on duty.
How to make a claim
• Contact your insurer or broker as soon as possible.
• Give brief details of incident and request a claim
• You will be told what to do next.
• You can hire an assessor – works on your behalf and
negotiates with the insurer to settle your claim.
What can you, the property owner, do ?
• Be proactive.
• First and foremost, educate, yourself about
your current policy provisions and insurance
• Ask lots of questions.
• After Roti, Kapda aur Makan now it is their
Insurance is a necessity. It is not a luxury.
You have to have it.
• Be sure that whatever happens, the security of
your home is protected by Home insurance.
An IRDA (Insurance Regulatory &
Development Authority) licensed Brokers.
CHENNAI - BANGALORE – DELHI – JAIPUR –
KOLKATTA – MUMBAI – PUNE – VIZAG.
DISCLAIMER: This presentation is intended to provide you general
information only and is not exhaustive. It is an education initiative and does
not seek to give you any legal advice.