Urban mass transport system 21st century fall of transit
Urban Mass Transport Systems
Reashma P S
21st Century Transportation!!!
what do you think about 21st
century transport system??
Mass transit or Private transit??
Rise of transit or fall of
How many of you like public
The early 1800’s
• What was going on in cities?
• What created the pressure for transportation
• Walking – pre-1825
• Omnibus – 1820s
• Steam trains – 1830s
• Horse-car – 1830s
• Electric streetcar – 1890s
• Mass transit – 1900s in some places
• Motorbus – 1920s
• Rapid transit – 1950s
New York 1831
1830s - Linking cities to upper class suburbs
1888 - Richmond, VA
1895 - 900 systems and 11,000 miles of track in the U.S.
Streetcar System Impacts
Affordable for working class, who could now live away
5 cent fare to anywhere
3-5 times as fast as horse-cars
Led to more outward expansion, e.g. Boston:
1850: 2-3 mile radius, mixed land uses
1900: 10 mile radius, industrial & commercial core
surrounded by residential
Growth in mobility, e.g. avg. trip length:
1890: 7 miles
1900: 10.5 miles
Urban Situation 1900 to 1920
• Massive urban growth
• Fringe growing faster
• Increasing criticisms of
Situation in 1930s
• Depression meant slowdown in urban growth, lay offs of
• Public criticisms of large investments in subways
• Merchants in outlying areas opposed investments
• Planners opposed elevateds and subways
:-Thought it would make congestion worse
:-Thought it would increase centralization
• Public subsidies for highways, education, housing, other
programs, but not for transit
• Increase in busses – “trackless trolleys”
Situation in 1950s
The Rise of the Automobile!!!
• Recreational car era (1920-1945)
• Freeway era (1945 – now)
The Fall of Transit
“Few industries have risen so rapidly or declined
so quickly, and no industry of its size has had a
worse financial record”
– J. Vance
When a country can be called as developed or
What exactly is the problem???
•Motorized trips demand will continue to grow faster
than the population due to economic and motorization
• motorization is growing faster than the population
(more than 10%/year for sale of cars and 2/3
wheelers over the past 5 years)
• Traffic congestion and parking difficulties- Accessing
jobs, education, recreation and similar activities is
becoming increasingly time consuming. Billions of
man hours are lost with people “stuck in traffic”.
What do you think???
Why people personalize transport??
-Lack of first mile to last mile connectivity
-Lack of information to people (give reliability of time)
-Time is precious, no one wants to wait
- stop going for horizontal development (affects people
lifestyle), go for vertical development
- Road exists what about road components!!!
- Design the road for moving traffic not for standing
Lack of route choice model
traffic in hot
make use of
Snapshot from B-TRAC
Existing public transport system
All India Scenario as per 2004-05 Statistics (including
urban, rural and hilly region)
Passenger carried: 2022.13 crores (2004-05)
Buses-Share of buses declined to 1.1% (2004) of
all registered vehicle in India from 11.1% in
Public Sector-115800 (15%)
Private Sector-651800 (85%)
How does the course help you!!
Transit modes: systems, technology and services
Financing aspect of transit
Capacity of transit system, basic transit operations and
terminal facilities. Planning, routing and scheduling
different management techniques for better performance of
transit. Approach to NMT