Tumeric for Cancer Reduction
About the PlantAbout the Plant
Relative of Ginger
Trumpet shape, dull yellow
Can grow 5-6 feet
Native to South Asia. Often
grown in India, Nepal and
Active Ingredient:Active Ingredient:
The root and rootstock, or rhizome, of the plant contain
the active ingredient.
3%-5% of the root has active ingredient1
It is an antioxidant
Studies have been done with 3.5-10 grams to inhibit and
prevent cancer cell growth1
Anti-inflammatory effects have been shown to be
comparable to the potent drugs hydrocortisone and
phenylbutazone as well as over-the-counter anti-
inflammatory agents such as Motrin
Curcumin ExtractionCurcumin Extraction 66
Plant is grown
Solvent is created using polar solvent (acetone,
methanol, ethanol, ethyl acetate)
To remove color:
Centrifuge or vacuum filtration
Purified with a hexane wash
Cancer PreventionCancer Prevention
Neutralizes substances and conditions that cause cancer. 3
Helps cells retain integrity if infected by carcinogen. 3
Curcumin can destroy tumor growth. 1,3
Possibly inhibits synthesis of protein that causes tumor growth and preventing development
of additional blood supply necessary for cell growth.1
Tumors of esophagus, mouth, intestines, stomach, breast and skin
In animal testing, cancer growth is slowed, inhibited and mass reduced1
Can inhibit enzyme growth of Topoisomerase.3
Topoisomerase works within the nucleus of the cell, where it first binds to supercoiled DNA
and then catalyzes the passage of one DNA helix through another via a transient double-
stranded break. This splits the DNA and thus allows cell replication to occur. Stopping
Topoisomerase stops replication which stops the spread of the problem.4
Natural COX-2 inhibitor3
Block an enzyme called cyclooxygenase-2. This is beneficial because the COX-2 enzyme
helps make carcinogens more active in the body and allows cancerous cells to survive by
growing new blood vessels. 5
Colon cells protected from free radical that damage DNA because of curcumin's
Effects on the BodyEffects on the Body
Stimulates circulatory system
Reduces cholesterol levels
Dissolves blood clots
Stops external and internal bleeding
Relieves painful menstration and angina
Remedy for IBS, colitis, Chron’s disease
Reduces illness from toxins and parasites and bacteria
Curcumin enhances liver function
Effects on the BodyEffects on the Body
In colon, cells turn over ever 3 days, making this a high risk for cancer
When used in combination with phenethyl isothiocyanate (found in
cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, kale,
kolhrabi and turnips) reduced tumor growth and the ability of prostate
cancer cells to spread in test animals.
Nagabhushan has shown that the curcumin in turmeric can2
inhibit the mutagenicity of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs)
(carcinogenic chemicals created by the burning of carbon based fuels
including cigarette smoke)
inhibit radiation-induced chromosome damage
prevent the formation of harmful heterocyclic amines and nitroso
compounds, which may result in the body when certain processed foods,
such as processed meat products that contain nitrosamines, are eaten
irreversibly inhibit the multiplication of leukemia cells in a cell culture
Drug InformationDrug Information
Available Forms (dose)
Root or rhizome (1.5-3 g/day)
Traditional Powder (often used for cooking)
(1-3g per day)
Capsuels containing standardized powder
(400-600mg, 3 times per day)
Fluid extract (antibacterial oil) (1:1 30-90
Tincture (1:2 15-30 drops 4 times/day)
Topical (as needed)
Bromelain (from pineapples) often used in
Turmeric or Curcumin with Cruciferous
Vegetables or their sprouts is very effective.
Blood thinning medications
Drugs that reduce stomach acid
Make effects stronger – lowering
Additional ResearchAdditional Research
1. Holistic health studies on nutrition and cancer prevention.
2. Food combinations and maximum cancer prevention.
3. HIV and AIDS reduction research.
4. Holistic plant treatment vs. curcumin use (whole rizome versus
5. Other ways to extract curcumin.
6. Reducing impact of cancer causing external influences.
Other UsesOther Uses
Cystic Fibrosis Sufferers
Studied to prevent ‘bad cholesterol’
Used to improve kidney transplants
500 mg of curcumin taken for 7
days with a oxidized cholesterol
drop of 33% in blood, with total
cholesterol drop of 11% and HDL
increased by 29% 2
Interferes with some viruses: Hepititus
When HIV cells were fed in a
laboratory in Bangalor, India, cells
stopped reproducing. Harvard
Medical School Study showed that
curcumin blocked a specific gene
that activates virus and causes it to
spread. Antimicrobial properties
protect maleffects from HIV (NPD
in Vermont). 3
20 reasons to add turmeric20 reasons to add turmeric
to your diet:to your diet:
1. It is a natural antiseptic and antibacterial agent, useful in disinfecting cuts and burns.
2. When combined with cauliflower, it has shown to prevent prostate cancer and stop the growth of existing prostate
3. Prevented breast cancer from spreading to the lungs in mice.
4. May prevent melanoma and cause existing melanoma cells to commit suicide.
5. Reduces the risk of childhood leukemia.
6. Is a natural liver detoxifier.
7. May prevent and slow the progression of Alzheimer's disease by removing amyloyd plaque buildup in the brain.
8. May prevent metastases from occurring in many different forms of cancer.
9. It is a potent natural anti-inflammatory that works as well as many anti-inflammatory drugs but without the side
10. Has shown promise in slowing the progression of multiple sclerosis in mice.
11. Is a natural painkiller and cox-2 inhibitor.
12. May aid in fat metabolism and help in weight management.
13. Has long been used in Chinese medicine as a treatment for depression.
14. Because of its anti-inflammatory properties, it is a natural treatment for arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
15. Boosts the effects of chemo drug paclitaxel and reduces its side effects.
16. Promising studies are underway on the effects of turmeric on pancreatic cancer.
17. Studies are ongoing in the positive effects of turmeric on multiple myeloma.
18. Has been shown to stop the growth of new blood vessels in tumors.
19. Speeds up wound healing and assists in remodeling of damaged skin.
20. May help in the treatment of psoriasis and other inflammatory skin conditions.
 Cancer Research , Article: “Chemopreventive Effect of Curcumin , a Naturally
Occurring Anti-Inflammatory Agent, during the Promotion/Progression Stages of Colon
Cancer ” Cancer Research 59, 597-601, February 1, 1999
 Whole Health MD.com , Article: “Cancer Fighters in Your Spice Rack,” 3/21/2001.
 Plotto, Anne, Article: “Tumeric: Post Production Management” 22/04/2004
 Weiss, E.A. 2002. Spice Crops. CAB International publishing, Oxon, UK