How Quizzes Are Driving Killer Conversion Rates (Qzzr + VWO)
How Quizzes Are Driving
Killer Conversion Rates
Sushant Sharma, VWO
Owen Fuller, Qzzr
● A/B testing personalization
platform for marketers
● Customers include JustFab, Dafiti,
ShoeDazzle and 4000 others
Conversion Rate Optimization platform
• Landing page
• A/B testing
• Split URL
• Mobile A/B
• Heatmaps and
100+ features for all your conversion rate optimization needs
• This will be recorded. All registrants will receive a
• Look for a recap post with slides on the Qzzr Blog
• Ask questions via GoToWebinar
• Join the conversation: #qzzrwebinar & @Qzzr_
Tens of thousands of quizzes & polls being taken millions of
World’s best publishers, brands and agencies
1. Expose a hot content medium (quizzes)
2. Show how to drive social engagement and lead
conversions with quizzes
3. Tell the story of the million dollar quiz
4. Get you started with some quiz concepts you can
There is a renaissance
Hieroglyphics Paper Billboards
And it’s something we
hated while we were in
Type to enter text
The road is being paved by
Number one article on NY Times in 2013 was a quiz
Eight of the top ten most shared articles
on the web in the last eight months were quizzes
(BuzzSumo, April 2014)
Nine of the top ten most shared stories on Facebook
in January, 2015 were quizzes
Why are quizzes so irresistable?
Interactive, Meaningful, Social
All about ME!!!
“Stop telling me interesting and useful
things about myself”
- Said no one, ever.
Wait, what about surveys?
Under the hood of a quiz is a survey… that
people actually want to take… and share with
hundreds of their friends.
81% completion rate
2:27 average time
5% lead conversion rate
The average quiz gets shared how many times?
Some do a little better….
I see a quiz in my newsfeed.
What am I likely to do?
Pass. Not interested: 18%
Sure. Let me hit that: 82%
Faster, cheaper and more effective
than other content types.
Quizzes are the secret weapon…
Two main jobs that marketers
hire a quiz to do:
1. Drive social engagement
2. Drive conversions
What businesses are most excited
Turning this Into this
The Million Dollar Quiz
A Content Marketing Case Study
(Internet Marketing Inc.)
Increase revenue via online sales
Quality link building
Featured on Qzzr’s homepage & newsletter
• Average of 30,000 unique visitors
• Sent out to 13,581 email
• 2,318 opens
• 220 clicks to the quiz on Zenni
Paid channels – hundreds of thousands
of viewers / impressions
AVG TIME SPENT
• 220,631 website
sessions from the quiz
• This behavior funnel
showcases the user
moving from the
content piece to the
product pages on the
second interaction, and
then to buy in the third
and final interactions
Conversions / ROI
Top revenue-generating channels included:
• Organic Search: $104, 924.34
• Paid Search: $73,393.06
• Email: $73,331/96
Multi-attribution technology helps us understand a channel’s respective
contribution towards the quiz’s performance.
Traffic to the quiz landing page: 533,538 unique visitors
Content Marketing Revenue: $909,738.06
Return on Investment:
Roadmap to hit quizzes
Choose quiz title and type
Do your research and gather media
Create and embed
Share and promote
Measure, learn, and improve
Tips for graded quizzes
Choose a compelling title
• Are you a ____ expert?
• Can you pass the ___ test?
• The world’s hardest ___ quiz
• Are you a true ____?
Keep your quizzes fair and clear
• Limit the number of answers to each question
• Remove any friction from the process
• Give more information about the right answer
Make people feel good about their results
• 45% of shares on graded quizzes come from 100% scores
• Assign outcomes. “You got 90%. You’re a genius!”
Tips for outcome quizzes
Choose a compelling title
• Which ___ are you?
• What ___ do you actually belong in?
• What kind of ___ are you?
Create shareworthy outcomes
• invoke awe, laughter or amusement (BuzzSumo)
• help people define themselves,
nourish relationships & get the word out about
causes they love (NY Times)
• make it a “feel-good, look-good” mechanism
• Help people share what “they want their friends
to think they like” (Buzzfeed)
Build a process
• Identify outcomes
• Map differentiating factors
• Be creative with your questions and answers
Pro tip: begin with the end in mind
Write these first.
Make sure people would be proud to share
Make sure your CTA relates to outcome.
Hey 3PO - You’re research driven, so why not
download this guide…
What titles/topics would work for
What content resonates with your audience?
What are the most shared topics?
What topics get the most questions?
What topics are most controversial?
Are there decisions that people struggle to make?
Are there topics that are misunderstood?
Recycle your content
If you have knowledge and answers in your evergreen content,
you can turn it into a quiz.
Look at your
….all raw quiz material
“Are you a candidate for Lasik Surgery?”
“Should you be wearing glasses to drive?”
“Do you know the seven common mistakes new
contact wearers must avoid?”
“Which frames match your style?”
“Give yourself an eye exam.”
“Do you need special lenses?”
The wild world of…
Virality takes a pinch of luck
You can control consistent
Your conversion rate will
when you understand what
motivates your audience