Final Exam ReviewSession 13Courtesy of your awesome Art History teacher
• No single definition of art absolutely applies for all _________ and __________. • times … places• Generally however, art is a primarily ________ medium that ______________ ideas about our human ______________________ and the ___________around us. • visual ... expresses … experience … world• Art _____________ our attention in a way that our ______________ environment cannot. • engages … everyday What is the definition of art?
• Art is whatever a ______________ or a _______________ says is art. • society … culture• The definition of art is not __________ and _______ in all its details. • universal … fixed• It fluctuates, because cultures are _______ and _____________ . • alive … changing• There are 4 major areas of art which culture defines: __, __, __, __. • Function • Visual Form • Content • Aesthetics Fill in the Blank: Def. of Art
• Caravaggio got angry about a waitress getting his order wrong and slashed her face with a broken plate. • True.• John Everett Millais worked 11 hours a day, 6 days a week for 5 months to paint his landscape. • True.• Henri Matisse produced over 80 paintings and 64 sketches in the last 70 days of his life. • False. • Correct: Vincent Van Gogh.• Claude Monet painted everyday scenes of middle and working class people to elevate their dignity. • False. • Correct: Jan Vermeer van Delft.• Banksy threw paint in random directions using action painting/gestural abstraction. • False • Correct: Jackson Pollock. True or False?
• Art _____ us in rituals that promote our spiritual/physical well-being. • assists• Art _____ customs related to food, shelter, and human reproduction. • reflects• Art _____ thoughts, ideas, and emotions. • communicates• Art _____ us pictures of deities, or _____ us conceive of what divinity might be. • gives … helps• Art _____ the power of the state and its rulers. • glorifies Art has a job in culture …
• Art _____ war and conquest, and sometimes peace. • celebrates• Art is a means for _____ political and social injustice. • protesting• Art _____ cohesion within a social group. • promotes• Art records the likeness of _____ and their _____ . • individuals … environment• Art _____ us about ourselves and the world around us; art also entertains us. • educates Art has a job in culture …
• This artist used fluorescent lighting in his painting to show the cold, disconnected feeling of life during World War II. a) Michelangelo b) Eddie Adams c) Edward Hopper d) Henri MatisseMultiple Choice
Art has content, which communicates through… (5)•Imagery•Symbolic meaning•Surroundings where it is used/displayed•Customs, beliefs, and values of the culture•Writings that help explain the workContent
• Vincent Van Gogh cut off his own ear with a razor and gave it to a prostitute as a gift. • True.• Michelangelo is given the title, “The Renaissance Man”. • False. • Correct: Leonardo Da Vinci.• Paul Gauguin was obsessed with Vincent Van Gogh. • False. • Correct: Vincent Van Gogh was obsessed with Paul Gauguin.• John Everett Millais was sued by his female model’s father. • True.• Jackson Pollock used only his fingers to paint a large portrait of Fanny. • False • Correct: Chuck Close. True or False?
• ______________ spray painted 9 controversial pieces of graffiti on the Gaza wall. • Banksy• ______________ coined the phrase, “15 minutes of fame.” • Andy Warhol• ______________ paints large portraits and self-portraits from his wheelchair using a grid of squares. • Chuck Close• ______________ cut large pieces of colorful paper instead of painting after he nearly died of cancer. • Henri Matisse Fill in the Blank
• Pablo Picasso combined impressionism and realism to protest the civil war in Spain. • False. • Correct: Picasso combined cubism and surrealism.• José Clemente Orozco is famous for painting frescos on a ceiling. • False. • Correct: Michelangelo.• Wayne Thiebaud’s painting was sold for the highest paid price for art at a public auction. • False. • Correct: Vincent Van Gogh’s.• Jackson Pollock was inspired to paint a painting about a bald man after seeing Orozco’s murals An Epic American Civilization. • False. • Correct: …about a bald woman• Henri Matisse used the complementary colors of blue & yellow instead of red & green. • False • Correct: Matisse used red & green instead of blue & yellow. True or False?
• Art Critics: _______________ works of art and evaluate their ________________ .• describe … significance (importance)• Art Historians and Academics: ___________ art of the past and of other ___________ .• research … cultures• Curators: _________ essays, wall labels, and educational material for museums and gallery exhibitions• writeWritings about Art
Aerial Perspective 2 Point Perspective 3 Point Perspective 1 Point Perspective Name that Perspective!
• Is the belief in ____________ . • one god and that there is no other god.• The three monotheistic religions of the Western world are: • Judaism, Christianity, and Islam• _______ is the foundation of the other 2 monotheistic faiths. • Judaism• Without Islam, _____ _____ would’ve never happened. • the RenaissanceMonotheism