Proposed Cedar Biomass and
Soil Carbon Partnership
The Earth Partners, LLC.
Proposal to Corona Landowner Association Members
Partnership Goal: Healthy Rangelands
Healthy rangeland, starts with
improved soils from:
• Reduced cedar
• Increased deep rooted native
grass coverage and diversity
• Improved soil carbon levels
Co-benefits can include:
• Increased soil water holding
capacity and availability
• Reduced erosion and
• Increased grass production for
• Improved wildlife habitat
Impacts on Your Ranch
• Reduced grass/forage acreage and
• Increased runoff and erosion.
• Less groundwater replenishment, dry
surface water supplies.
• Increased ranch costs, reduced revenues
How The Partnership Works
The Earth Partners
• Design ranch cedar harvests,
transport, and processing of
• Harvest cedar and sells
biomass and soil carbon
• Co-design ranch harvesting
• Obtain potential revenue from
biomass and soil carbon credit
• Improved grass and traditional
ranch revenues and soils,
water, livestock health, and
reduced operational costs.
Partnership Benefits to Ranchers
1. Land cleared at no cost to landowner
2. Potential revenue from biomass sales
3. Potential revenue from soil carbon credits
4. Improved range conditions
5. Creates local employment
6. Receive latest high resolution imagery useful in range planning
Example Potential Revenue Benefits For
• 10,000 acre ranch
• 4,000 acres is covered
by dense cedar (15
• TEP harvests non-old
growth, shade and
• TEP sells cedar
biomass (and soil C
• You graze to improve
Benefits to ranchers
1. Cost share savings of
cedar removal (4,000
acres at $100/acre)
2. Payment for cedar
removal (60,000 tons at
3. Potential soil carbon
(1 ton/acre/year, $1/ton,
Partnership Benefits to TEP’s
1. Potential revenue share from biomass sales.
2. Potential revenue share from soil carbon credit sales.
Challenges to Cedar Management
1. To remove and manage cedar are high
2. Buyers of cedar are far away
3. Cedar is spread out over large acreages
How Do we Overcome Such Challenges?
1. Innovative inventory analysis and mapping
2. Efficient removal and processing practices
3. Efficient transportation and logistics partnerships
4. State-of-the-art business model created with ranchers
Introduction to The Earth Partners
• 35 Years of restoring grasslands and other ecosystems
– Recognized soil and range scientists.
– Biomass experts.
– Former power plant executive interested in biomass.
– Successful business people dedicated to ranch conservation.
– Financiers focused on innovative business models
– Successful partnerships with other landowners.
– 3 years of working with Corona Land Owners Association
• Cedar Biomass:
– Lab chemical & BTU testing shows cedar is high quality fuel
– Cedar biomass supply mapping in NM, OR, CO, UT, etc.
– Cedar biomass specifications in discussion with power companies.
– Biomass buyer contracts in negotiation.
– Organizing test burns with power companies.
– Completing rail transport logistics.
– Streamlining harvesting, processing and product development.
– Finalizing biomass and soil carbon partnerships with ranchers.
• Soil Carbon:
– Drafted first ever ―Soil Carbon Quantification Method‖ that is now being
validated for use by the global carbon marketplace.
– Soil carbon sampling has been initiated in NM, SD, CO, CA, OR, WA, NE, WY,
VT, WI, and in Argentina, Chile, New Zealand on ranch projects.
– Assisted federal government to develop soil carbon policies and programs
1. Big Brothers Watching You---Eye in
the Sky Technology
Cow Ear Tag
3. Mapping and on-the-ground
measurements of soil carbon levels.
4. Creation of Ranch Biomass and Soil
Carbon Management Plans
1. Need large scale—power companies need a lot of biomass
2. Production and transportation efficiency
Soil Carbon Opportunity:
1. Regulations needed to create viable marketplace
2. Need large scale—millions of acres in a soil partnership
Joining the Biomass/Soil Carbon
What We Seek:
• Ranches with heavy cedar cover.
• Ranches with declining soils.
• Scale-up from 250,000 to millions of acres to meet biomass
For more information, meet today in lunch area, visit our booth,
ENVIRONMENTAL ASSETS CREATION, MANAGEMENT AND TRADING
Want More Information … PLEASE …
- Meet today in lunch area
- Visit our booth today