Elastic Search & Kibana
• Elasticsearch (http://www.elasticsearch.com) is a “distributed
restful search and analytics tool”
• It’s used as a datastore for Logstash. (it’s not the only one, but
one of the most used.)
• Kibana is a dashboard for use with Elasticsearch & Logstash.
What we’re actually doing:
• Show how to use a set of forge modules to build an infrastructure
• using the mbarr/moderninfra as an opinionated proﬁle module
• download the necessary modules using librarian-puppet
• Build a RabbitMQ server + sensu server
• the admin host (has the mco client)
• Build a logstash server
• Build a Jenkins host
Each server will also:
• be sending logs via logstash-forwarder
• run Sensu client checks
• run a mco server
• Lets you take a Puppetﬁle, and manage modules & dependencies
• can use forge or git repos
• Takes over your modules directory, though.
• adds to .gitignore & regenerates the directory from the
• I’ve used a pattern of a second directory (modules-local) to allow
a slow migration & local ﬁles to stay in your existing repo
mod "thejandroman/kibana3", "0.0.3"
# mod "mbarr/moderninfra",
# :git => "git://github.com/matthewbarr/moderninfra.git"