Campbelltown City Library ebooks for home library services
Home Library Service
Home Library – Intro
• Currently services 170 housebound customers
• Home Library Service has two full time staff who select for 170 patrons and also
deliver to nursing homes within that 170 Customers over 500 items each fortnight
• From July 2017 to June 2018 Home Library Service (HLS) has issued over 10,000
• In the same period six volunteers from Campbelltown Meals on Wheels have
dropped off 327 deliveries and donated 585 hours of their time each year.
• We currently have five Audioread Navigators loaded with digital talking books
• Overdrive and BorrowBox are used for our digital platforms for talking books
• There are two full time staff
• One Library Officer and one Library Assistant
• We have 5 teams of volunteers
• Our volunteers are provided by Meals on Wheels
• We hold an annual afternoon tea in December to recognize the contribution made by
Selection of digital
talking books using
We use Overdrive and BorrowBox to download digital talking books on to
a 16GB memory card that fits into the Navigator 3 we do this by using an
external card reader attached by USB to the computer. Downloading
from the overdrive website to the Overdrive console then directly to the
memory card. BorrowBox is also used to download but is a bit harder to
do as the files are in a zip folder and you have to extract them first before
moving them onto the memory card.
Currently we have downloaded and distributed over 90 titles
since February 2018.
We have four patrons using the Navigator 3 at this time with
plans to expand in the future.
Transferring to Navigator
• Titles are downloaded from Overdrive to the console
on my desktop we usually download 5 titles per patron
then we download the titles from the console to the
memory card via a card reader, then insert into the
• We have developed a spreadsheet to keep track of
what they have read, this assists with future
When the navigator is returned to the library from the
customer it is then reloaded with new titles. This is a
process that takes anything up to 40 minutes per device
so time management is essential.
• It is very important to keep track of what
has been read by the customer so
designing a spreadsheet is one of the
first things to do.
• When selecting it is essential to stay
within the selection criteria
The Audioread Navigator 3 is such a good product for Home Library
Service customers it is easy to use as it is a one button function.
As the ageing population moves forward we will come across people
who are tech savvy and are crying out for this type of digital platform.
We are always searching for new and improved ways to deliver a
Procedures, strict organisation and forward planning are critical to ensuring Home
Library Services are provided promptly and efficiently including downloading of
Home Library Services face the dual challenge of a growing demand due to an
ageing population and limited resources. One possible strategy to address
increased demand include using new technologies such as the Audioread
Due to the ageing population becoming more tech savvy Home Library Services
would need to be up to date with new technology.
Home Library Service