Google loves WordPress - Blogging For SEO WordCamp NYC 2012
Jun. 11, 2012•0 likes
Be the first to like this
Number of embeds
Download to read offline
Presentations & Public Speaking
News & Politics
Google really does love WordPress. Luckily, if your using WordPress then blogging for SEO is easier than you thought. This presentation will give you great tips, plugins and tools to help you achieve better rankings and find your target market.
Who Am I?
• SEO Since 1998
• Editor-in-Chief at PR Underground
• SEO Manager at Marknet Group Inc
• Asst Organizer of Hudson Valley Wordpress Meetup Group
• Executive Chef
• Live in East Windham, NY
• Why are you blogging?
• WordPress settings
• Google Authorship Program
• Optimizing your blog
• Sharing your blog with your target market
When you see this….. It’s a Hot Tip
Why Are You Blogging?
• Selling Product/Service – Establish company as a solution
• Community – All about relationships. They must trust your voice and
connect with you
• Advertising – All about traffic and bounce rates
• SEO – using the perfect search terms, all of the above
• Do not use strange characters
• Change the default setting to a custom setting
• Use hyphens - to separate words.
• No spaces is bad
www.example.com/my-targeted-keyword - Good
www.example.com/mytargetedkeyword - Bad
• What is a ping? A ping automatically notifies social bookmarking
sites, search engines, RSS Feeds and blog directories every time you
update your blog.
• Ping-O-Matic alone goes to 20 services. There are over 250
• Add Ping Optimizer Plugin.
• All In One SEO Pack – Add title tags, description and more
• Google XML Sitemaps – Builds your xml sitemap
• Google Analytics - All about stats
• Feedburner Feedsmith – Adds your post to Google Feedburner
• Disqus – Comment plugin
• WordPress Ping Optimzer - Save your blog from getting tagged as
• Email Tool Integration- MailChimp, Aweber, etc.
• Redirection- Manage all your 301 redirects and monitor 404 errors
• Manage your social & professional networks
• Automatically submit your post to 50+ sites at the click of a button
• Automatically adds tags from your post
• Instantly fills out captcha for you.
SEO Rank Reporter
• Track your Google rankings every 3 days and see reports of your
progress in a graph
• View a historical graph of your rankings
• Email notifications when any one of your rankings changes
• See how many visits come to your website from selected keywords
Google Authorship Program
Implement Google authorship markup
• Must have a Google+ account
• Claim your content*. Provides huge search engine ranking benefits
• Profile picture lends instant credibility
• Help readers discover your other content on the web.
• Go to: https://plus.google.com/authorship
Optimizing Your Blog
“While Google is constantly updating the way we rank, WordPress has
forever changed the speed at which we rank” – Alex Miranda
• Write for people not for search engines
• Naturally add keywords into your post
• The point of each sentence is to get them to read the next sentence
• Call to action at the end
• Make sure your title is engaging. It is the first impression to
your reader, on search engines, social media, & RSS Feed
• 80% of people read headline copy ONLY
• List posts are always good – use the number 5, 7 and 9
• Use word like Why, What, How, Fastest, Tips and Secrets
• Think of words users are typing to find you
• Use search terms you wish to rank on in the title
• Use trending words in the title
How do I Create The Perfect Title?
• Select for which search terms you want to rank for on Google. This
is the term your target market will use to find your
services/products. For example, “WordPress SEO”.
How do I find The Perfect Title?
• Research search terms I can rank on with “WordPress SEO”.
• Go to www.google.com/trends – here you want to see what is
trending and incorporate trending topics into your blog post title.
For example, I found out Google and Wordpress were trending.
Therefore, I want to try to use “WordPress SEO” and “Google” in my
• Went to Google Keyword Research Tools and entered “WordPress
SEO” and “Google” . Here I saw which search terms are being used
by searchers and receive the most traffic.
Add The Keyword
• You are going to use the search terms in your blog post title,
summary, body and tags.
• Make sure the title is eye-catching.
• Link it to an existing related article on your site.
• Tags help users find your content.
• Social Bookmarking sites and RSS feeds use tags to identify content
• Make sure you use tags that are related to your article.
• No Follow your tags.
Share, Share, Share
• Share on Facebook
• Ask people to like it
• Share on Linkedin Groups
• Build your list. Email out each post
• Allow contributors to participate in your post. Use Blog
• Create a YouTube video with the same title
The Secret SEO Weapon
Social Media Press Release
• Use it to compliment your blog post. Create a release of your post.
• Generates Inbound Links to your blog
• Have your story appear on Google News within 5 minutes
• Google loves fresh content
• Target hard to find keywords
• Share, Share, Share
Feel free to email me if:
• If you want free bonus SEO material
• The entire presentation
• SEO recommendations for your blog
Attendees, receive a 25% discount on a social media press
release when you email and follow me.