Social Studies Project Marina Bay!! Stacy Ong (15) 3S1
Let’s recap!The 4 Guiding Principles of Governance:• ‘Leadership is Key’• ‘Reward for Work, Work for Reward’• ‘Anticipate Change and Stay Relevant’• ‘A Stake for Everyone, and Opportunities for all’
• A good leader has to be honest, capable and with foresight.• Without good leaders, Singapore wouldn’t be what it is today. Marina Bay would not have existed either.• Our leaders foresaw the challenges Singapore would face, made plans and took action.• They knew Singapore has limited land and water. So they conserved these resources by building high-rise buildings and underground malls, and Marina Barrage.• They also ensured we have high standard of living by ensuring there is enough empty land for leisure.
• Sometimes, we need to change in order to adapt to new surrounding or to improve ourselves.• When Global Warming became more serious, our leaders decided to build more eco-friendly structures in Singapore. (E.g. Breeze Shelter in Marina Bay Link)• After seeing that Singapore has limited land, our leaders decided to build more high-rise building and underground malls to conserve land.• Meanwhile, they built Marina Barrage so that seawater can be purified for consumption as Singapore has limited supply of water and the water treaties with Malaysia do not last forever (2011 and 2061)
• Having a say in decision-making develops in people a greater sense of belonging to the country. That’s what the government sees.• Before the casino was built, the government consulted the people on the issue of having a casino as a part of an Integrated Resort.• Government listened to and considered the people’s concern involving social risk of gambling addiction.• They decided to go ahead with the setting up of the casino, but not without taking actions as to alleviate the people’s concerns.• They imposed stringent social safeguards and monitored and enforced these safeguards strictly.• They would also commit the necessary resources to help the more vulnerable members of our society.
Now let’s see how Marina Bay is linked to the 4 Guiding Principles of Governance!
• ‘Anticipate Change and Stay Relevant’• ‘Leadership is Key’• Global Brands To attract tourism• Local Brands Contribute to Singapore’s• Casino economy• Hotel Inter-competitiveness with other First-World countries• Entertainment
• Casino ‘A Stake for Everyone, and Opportunities for all’ » Government consulted the people on the issue of having a casino. Government considered the concerns of the people and has taken action so as to alleviate their concerns. E.g. Stringent social safeguards
• Singapore (a small country) has limited resources.• Singapore’s population is also increasing.• Therefore, energy-saving methods are used and ‘eco-friendly’ structures are built.‘Eco-friendly’ structures found in Marina Bay: Breeze Shelter (Solar energy & Motion sensor)*’Leadership is Key’*‘Anticipate Change and Stay Relevant’
• Singapore has limited land.• Thus, Singapore needs to conserve land too. High-rise buildings & Underground shops*‘Anticipate Change and Stay Relevant’*‘Leadership is Key’