• Established in the year 1996
• Headquarters – Amsterdam
• Founder - Kees Koolen
MBA from university of twente
Started a consultancy firm in 1988
Invested in 50 tech companies till
• Co founder - Arthur Kosten
• Australia's biggest online travel agent.
• Books over 7,50,000 rooms for each night
• Provides services in more than 40 languages
• Have 150 offices in more than 60 countries
• Around 8300 employees
• Established its subsidiary under the name
during the period.
• In the year 2002, Gillian Tans joined as President
and Chief Operating Officer
Responsible for managing the day-to-day operations of the
Previously worked for many hotel groups like
Intercontinental Hotel Group and International Golden
Tulip hotel group
Operations and sales went across more than 193 countries
under her work.
• 2003 - Stef Norden appointed as CEO.
• 2005 - Booking.com was acquired by US based
Deal of $133 millions
More than two-thirds of total revenue of Priceline was
generated by Booking.com.
Priceline in 2002 - $19 millions loss
in 2011 - $1.1 billions profit
• 2006 - Acquired and changed its name
Sold around 10 million rooms on per night basis
• 2011- Darren R. Huston appointed as the CEO.
Holds MBA from Harvard Business School.
Previously worked in many well reputed companies like
Microsoft and Starbucks
Extremely familiar with the online marketing landscape
and the strategies
• 2011-14 - Kees Koolen appointed as Chairman
• 2012 - partnered with the OTA.
Ctrip could reach its 235,000 hotels through Ctrip’s hotel
• 2013 - and Booking.com launched
Deal of $2 million
Provides book-now-pay-later service.
• 2014 - signed an agreement.
Provides services of local mobile search and messaging
solutions to consumers and businesses
Deal is to integrate Booking.com's extensive hotel
data(500,000 hotels) into Sprylogics' Poynt App.
Poynt users are now able to access over 28 million
Some of the features- last minute, secret and value
deals, details of amenities, etc
• 2014 - partnered with Booking.com
One of the top five major Russian airlines.
15% of the price of hotel bookings made on
booking.com credited to the bonus accounts of
• Since 2009 - mobile apps are
Initially it was an iPhone app.
• In 2010 - iPad version was
• In 2011 Android and Windows 8
versions were launched.
completed more than $1 billion
transactions on mobile devices
In 2012 - $3 billion
In 2013 - $8 billion
• 2012 – Last minute hotel booking
app was launched.
Offers special savings up to 50%
• 2012 - Company launched
“Passbook”, an iPhone app
Allows users to easily access their
hotel and accommodation bookings,
along with entry tickets, boarding
passes, etc in one place.
Passbook is both time and location
Confirmations and tickets show up on
the customers’ iPhone Lock Screen
with just a swipe whenever needed.
• No celebrity is casted yet for the promotion.
• 2013- First brand campaign “booking.yeah”
Designed for US market.
Advertising agency Wieden + Kennedy
60 second film
Campaign was launched online, movie theatres and on
Focus of campaign – to point that moment of joy,
when you realize just how great your accommodation
is, and how amazing your trip is going to be.
• Failed to keep the promise of safe transaction,
“pay when you stay model”.
Fake mails were received by the customers to pay for
the accommodation in advance
Later the company compensated for the loss which
occurred to the customers.
• Booking.com and Expedia entered into
agreements with IHG to control their pricing.
Infringed competition law
• Founded in 1996 as
• Headquarter -
• Founder - Rich Barton
Previously worked as GM
from Stanford University.
CEO of Expedia from the
• 1999 - 7 million registered users
Also recorded $700 million in gross bookings in airline,
hotel and car-rental reservations.
• 1999 - Microsoft planned to sell stock of Expedia
Expedia became a separate company.
Yet it had a contractual relationship with Microsoft to
provide travel services on the msn.com Web site.
• 2000 – Acquired
The leading branded Internet hotel consolidator,
Discounted rate contracts at over 1,200 hotels in 240 cities
• Also acquired
Leading reservation network for vacation homes
Offered over 25,000 unique properties in more than
4,000 vacation destinations and more than 100
countries worldwide .
• The acquisition positioned Expedia as the leader
in Internet lodging
65,000 lodging properties worldwide
Approximately 2 million room nights per year
• 2002 – The company launched Expedia corporate
Aim was to provide travelers and travel managers with
more choices and control
Reducing the costs associated with managing business
• 2004 – acquired Expedia
IAC’s CFO, Dara Khosrowshah became the CEO of
Previously, he served Allen & Company LLC as a Vice
Recently, in 2013, awarded as the Entrepreneur Of The
• 2007 – Expedia partnered with
Expedia broadened its exposure to offline distribution
Got reach to Cruise Ship Centers' 100 retail franchise
locations and more than 1,500 independent cruise
• 2008 – Expedia announced its agreement with
Venere.com had relationships with approximately
29,000 hotels .
Acquisition resulted in the addition of more than
10,000 incremental hotel properties in Europe, the
Middle East and Africa to Expedia
• 2008 - Expedia Affiliate Network (EAN) was
Creates the tools and technology that helps millions of
travelers find the perfect hotels for their next trips.
World's fastest-growing private label travel affiliate
• Expedia Corporate Travel changed to
• The company acquired
Premier online car rental marketing and retail firm
offering a diverse selection of car rentals
CarRentals.com continues to operate in its current
form and reported as a business unit directly into
• 2009 – Expedia did changes to its service policies
Eliminating change fees
Cancel fees on all hotel, car rental and cruise
No longer charges online air booking fees
• Expedia announced the introduction of the
Expedia Easy Manage program.
A commission-based partnership option for qualifying
hotels in the Europe, Middle East and Africa region.
The eligible hotels can quickly and easily sign up to
offer their property on more than 70 Expedia and
No registration fees and no fixed costs.
• 2010 - Expedia became largest travel OTA .
• Expedia partnered with
25,000 hotels participating in Hotwire now offers their
inventory on Expedia.com.
• It also acquired
Mobiata, creator of the best selling mobile applications
Accelerated the company's ability to enable mobile
travel shopping and booking across multiple platforms.
• 2011 – Expedia invested in
A leading online travel service provider in China.
Expedia acquired approximately 8% of the
outstanding shares for $41.2 million.
• Expedia announced the launch of a new joint
venture company named
World's best low cost airline during the time.
Offers a complete range of great value flights, hotels,
and holiday packages
• 2012 - Expedia announced Expedia traveler
It is a new payment model.
• 2013 - Expedia announced acquisition of 61.6% of
the fully-diluted equity of
A leading hotel metasearch company.
Deal was for €434 million in cash.
Trivago continues to operate independently from its
headquarters in Dusseldorf, Germany
• Expedia also announced long term strategic
marketing agreement with
Provided travelocity access to Expedia’s supply and
Travelocity focused its efforts on promoting its brand
and marketing its broad offerings.
• 2014 – Expedia acquired
One of Europe's leading online car rental reservation
Further, Auto Escape Group became a part of the
• Expedia acquired for $703 million
Allowed Expedia to continue expanding the business in
the Asia-Pacific region.
Allowed Wotif Group's customers and partners to get
benefit from Expedia’s global portfolio
• Expedia also acquired for $1.6 billion.
Allowed Expedia to deliver best-in-class experiences
to an even wider set of travelers all over the world.
Major established brands with global reach :
Expedia – 31 sites in 31 countries.
Hotels.com – 89 sites in 68 countries.
Trivago – Presence in 49 countries
Egencia – presence in 64 countries
Product wise revenue is as shown below :
Car & cruise- 14%
Ad & media-8%
Air – 8%
Hotels – 70%
• Currently Expedia serves 435,000 hotels .
• Present in 200+ countries
• 15,000 employees
Offers services in airlines,
hotels, cars, buses
Charges higher commission
Acquired by IAC
Offers only accommodation.
Charges lesser commission
Acquired by Priceline
Mobile app is used by lesser
Offers service in 35
No Free cancellation policy.
Mobile app is used by more
Offers service in 42
Free cancellation policy.
1. The prominent hotel star rating with thumbs up
2. Short but enticing introduction to each hotel
3. A short summary of how other customers have rated the
4. The number of reviews each hotel has received
5. Shows when the hotel was last booked
6. How many people are looking at this hotel
7. How many hotels found and the availability
8. This hotel is likely to sell out soon
9. ‘Just booked’ icon next to individual room types
10. Was and now price