Verify your ID
Before you receive a certificate, we’ll need to verify your account by matching a current photo of you
to an official ID.
Some courses and programs require ID Verification, while others only need Name Verification.
If ID Verification is required for a certificate in a course or program you’re taking, we'll prompt you to verify
during the course and in your Settings page.
To verify your account. Go to Settings > Accounts > verify my id
Upload a copy of your government issued ID. We’ll use it to verify your account and make sure the
information printed on your certificates is correct.
You can add a:
- Driver’s license
- National ID card
- State or Province ID card
The verification process
We use a secure system called Persona to verify your identity. To complete the process, you’ll need to provide the
1. Your first and last name, birthdate, and the country your ID is from
2. A photo of your ID
3. A photo of yourself
Your government ID must be verified before you can upload a selfie. If there is an issue with either of these steps,
you’ll be able to try again.
You only need to complete ID Verification once to get a certificate for any course or program you take.
When you submit your ID information, we make sure your information is secure. After we verify your ID, we delete
the photos and related personal information.
During ID verification, you’ll need to provide:
● Your full name and birthdate
● The country your ID is from
● A clear image of your valid, government-issued photo ID
● A clear photo of your face
IDs must show your full name, birthdate, and a clear photo of your face. We can’t verify IDs that are:
● Black and white images
● Not issued by a government (such as a school ID)
● Do not meet our age restrictions
● From a restricted country
The most common ID types you can use in the verification process are:
● State-issued IDs (driver's license or identification card)
● Residency permit
● National ID
● PAN card
● Aadhaar card
● Voter card
● National ID
● Driver's license
How to verify your ID
Step by Step process to
verify your ID:
1. Go to your Settings
2. Scroll down to the ID
Verification section (you’ll only
see this section if you’re
enrolled in a class that requires
3. Click Verify My ID to start the
12. Back on the setting page ID V will
show that your name is verified and it will
appear in your certificates.
13. Go to your accounts>
accomplishments tab to view your
Certificate of Completions
13. According to Coursera’s Privacy
Policy when you submit your ID
information, it is ensured that your
information is secure. After your ID
verification , system delete the photos
and related personal information.
Contact Learner Help Centre for any issues in the ID Verification process
You may need to enable camera permissions to upload a photo.
1. Upload a valid government issued ID
● Make sure all text on the ID is clear and readable – including your full name, birth date, and expiration date.
● Make sure the photo of your face on the ID is visible.
● Make sure the photo you take of your ID is well-lit, and isn't blurry or out-of-focus. You can tap your phone
screen when you’re taking a photo to make your camera focus.
● Reduce glare by turning off flash and moving away from direct light.
● Make sure the whole ID is visible and isn't covered by your finger.
● Try using a computer instead of a mobile device.
● Try using different web browsers.
● Try another ID document type, if you have one.
For driver’s licenses, national ID cards, or other ID cards
● Hold the camera as close to the ID as possible. Make sure that all four corners of the ID are visible in the
● Place the ID card on a flat surface against a dark background to reduce blur and glare.
● Open to the main passport page with your photo and personal information – including passport
number, name, birth date, and expiration date.
● Hold the camera as close to the passport page as possible. Make sure all four corners of the page are
visible in the photo.
● Make sure the MRZ (the symbols and letters at the bottom of your passport page) is clearly visible in
● Make sure that you are in a well-lit area and away from a direct light source. This helps avoid glare, since
passport pages can be glossy and reflective.
2. Take a selfie to match the picture on the ID
● Take off your glasses.
● Move away from direct light to avoid glare.
● Make sure your face is clearly visible and well-lit.
● Make sure you turn your face left and right.
● Make sure your face is similar to the photo of the ID you submitted.
If you’re still unsuccessful after multiple attempts to verify your ID, or if you don't have the accepted ID type
for your country, please contact us so our team can issue a refund for your course. If you're a learner in an
enterprise program, please reach out to your enterprise admin for additional assistance.
Enabling camera permissions
If you are using Google Chrome, please follow the steps below:
● For desktop
● For iPhone & iPad
● For Android
If you are using Firefox, please follow the steps for mobile or desktop.
If you are using Safari, please follow the steps for desktop.
If you are using a mobile app, check your device settings:
1. Open your device settings
2. Go to apps
3. Find the app that you wish to enable camera permissions for
4. Find the app settings and allow camera permissions