Preetham M S
• What is Resource Monitoring
• How it Works
• Measures to be Taken
• Resource Monitoring Architecture
What is Resource Monitoring??!!
• There might be many resources in the system
Such as CPU, Memory, Network Bandwidth
and Disk. A monitor which monitors all these
is called Resource Monitoring.
How it Works
• It may be a typical Client Server Model.
• There may be Many resources, Clients and
• A Protocol is defined between the Server and
• When ever Client wants any resources it sends
a request to resource monitors to get the
Status of the resources.
Measures to be taken
• There should be an authentication to the
• Monitors should be run on demand basis
• If there is no request for a particular resource
for some ‘X’ period of time, The monitor for
that particular type of resource should be
Measures to be taken- Continued
• Resources monitors should be light and should
not occupy much CPU and Memory
• Resource monitors should be able to be
upgraded at any time. The client ability to get
the status of the resource should not be
• It should also perform prediction based on the
available information and Client request
Resource Monitor Architecture
There are Two types of Monitor. Network Monitor and Host Monitor
• Resource DB
Apply time-series models to the data collected in the Resource DB to
predict the next value in the series. Predictor have two parts: Network
Predictor and Host Predictor.
• Data Analyzer and Presentation
Data Analyzer analyze the collected information from Resource DB
periodically/real time and store the results back to the Resource DB. User
can view the monitoring and forecasting information by Web presentation
Resource Monitoring steps
• NetworkMonitor monitors network periodically/real time; HostMonitor
monitors server periodically/real time.
• NetworkMonitor and HostMonitor store observed information into
• Client invokes task and talks to scheduler to inquire suitable resources.
• Scheduler queries available servers/resources from Resource DB and gets
• Scheduler queries prediction from Predictor.
• Predictor performs prediction by querying information from Resource DB.
• Predictor gives prediction result to scheduler.
• Scheduler performs scheduling and returns scheduling information to
• Client sends task to Server through Network.
• Server execute task and returns result to Client through Network.
• The goal of the Resource Monitor is to provide
accurate measurements of the performance of
specific resources and effective statistical
forecasting based on time-series analysis. It
will be a robust distributed system that can
perform active and passive monitoring
function as well as prediction.