Elements that define units of work
Types of Tasks
Data Flow Task
◦ Task that runs data flows to extract data, apply column level transformations, and load data.
Data Preparation Tasks
◦ These tasks do the following processes: copy files and directories; download files and data; run
Web methods; apply operations to XML documents; and profile data for cleansing.
◦ The tasks that communicate with other processes to run packages, run programs or batch files,
send and receive messages between packages, send e-mail messages, read Windows
Management Instrumentation (WMI) data, and watch for WMI events.
SQL Server Tasks
◦ The tasks that access, copy, insert, delete, and modify SQL Server objects and data.
◦ The tasks that extend package functionality by using scripts.
Analysis Services Tasks
◦ The tasks that create, modify, delete, and process Analysis Services objects.
◦ The tasks that perform administrative functions such as backing up and shrinking SQL Server
databases, rebuilding and reorganizing indexes, and running SQL Server Agent jobs.
It performs operations on files and directories in the file system. File System
Operation available in this task are:
The FTP task downloads and uploads data files and manages directories on File
servers. Operation available with FTP task are:
The XML task is used to work with XML data. Operation available with XML task
The XML task is used to work with XML data. Operation available with XML
Computes various profiles that help identify problems in the data
The Data Profiling task works only with data that is stored in SQL Server
A profile is not valid unless not empty tables and columns selected, and the
columns contain data types that are valid for the profile.
DATA Profiler Viewer
Profile task compute data profiles and save them in a file and Data Profile
Viewer review the profile output
Lets packages run other package
Breaking down complex package workflow.
Reusing parts of packages.
Grouping work units.
Controlling package security
The WMI Data Reader task runs queries using the Windows
Management Instrumentation (WMI) Query Language and
returns information about a computer system.
WMI Query E.g. Gives info about quick fixes applied on
◦ Select * FROM Win32_QuickFixEngineering