Indian Poultry Sector in Transition - Knowledge Day 2016
Dr. Mahesh P. S.
Indian Poultry Sector In Transition -A perspective
Poultry Industry in India:
• One of the fast growing Techno-commercial Industry (8 – 10% y-o-y).
• Third largest egg producer (72 billion eggs/yr) / 26crores per day
• Fifth largest chicken meat producer (3.5 MMT) 1 crore chicks per day
• Total input and output value – 17 bn $ / 1.0 lakh crores
• 6 million employed.
• Majority of the sector – Southern India.
Key Raw Materials of the Feed Industry
• Water harvesting.
• Solid & liquid waste handling.
• Litter power.
Sustainable Factors in Poultry
• Inputs ( grains)
• Consumer preferences.
• “ MORE from LESS is the Manthra”
• Huge Middle Class sector—over 650 Million
• Increased Purchasing power
• Quality Know How –WTO
• Market Stabilization
• More Value.
• Encourage automation.
• Incentivize farmers for solar, power generation, waste
• Recommend rain water harvesting.
• Poultry companies to have exclusive agri division for grain inputs
for poultry with modern practices.
• India : great potential for free range or organic farming.