& Social TV
“Television has always been social -
from viewing parties to office chats
about favourite shows.”
“This behavior has always existed;
technology has just made it easier
for more people to join the
1.2xhigher emotional engagement when solo
viewers used a sync app with their TV
compared to just watching TV (Turner).
of 18-34 year olds as well as 30% of 15-17 year
olds have started watching a TV show after
reading positive social comments online
of 18-24 year olds share something about a
show on social media, while 31% talk online to
people they don't know about their favourite
of time spent watching TV is with another
device in hand (Google/Ipsos).
A Second Screen
designed to be used
while watching TV on a
A Second Screen
App is not…
a first screen service
on a second screen.
• Live Interactive Ryder Cup
• Measure performance on Facebook
• App interactions feed back into
„The Million Pound Drop‟
Interactive Live Quiz
• Full Audience participation
• „Play from home‟
• Results and statistics fed back into
„4Now‟ Channelwide Social App
Provides an always-on, centralised
destination for synchronised experiences
• additional content
• programme information
• social media activity
• real time polls, votes & quizzes.
Most Socially Engaging TV Genres
(% share of social TV conversation)
Second Screen Opportunities
The Three Biggest Opportunities
for Irish Broadcasters
Sport Reality TV News & Current Affairs
GAA Championship 2014 The Voice of Ireland The Late Late Show
RBS Six Nations 2014 The Apprentice The Frontline
FIFA World Cup 2014 Eurovision 2014 Morning Ireland
Airtricity League Operation Transformation Ireland AM
Racing Festivals 2014 Great Irish Bake Off Tonight with Vincent
1. User Accounts: allow simple login with social networking
accounts or 3rd party login systems. All accounts keep track
of the actions performed by the audience within the app
and award users with points and badges based on
2. TV Show Check-ins: integrate seamlessly with social
networks, boosting awareness and discovery potential.
3. Live surveys & voting: synced between the app and the TV
show, these are instantly available on millions of devices.
The results collected from the surveys can easily be shown
PortHand Second Screen
4. Timeline and in-app chat: offer a similar experience to
Facebook’s social context for discussions between users.
5. Synchronised web content distribution: can be used for
pushing additional, premium content to the mobile
application in close connection to the content available on
TV at specific timestamps.
6. Second streams: add a new viewing experience by
streaming additional video from different angles and points
7. Interactive ads: synced with the ads running on TV and
distributed to app users, actionable ads are a bridge
between TV and digital advertising.
Cloud Backend Services and Application Hosting:
• PortHand’s scalable and durable cloud infrastructure
matched with our content delivery network offers a solid,
reliable foundation for your apps.
Extensive App Security:
• Communication between the app and PortHand’s backend
are secured to industry standards via a HTTPS connection.
• Login credentials sent by users are encrypted.
• Sensitive data is stored on-device in an encrypted container.
PortHand App Platform
PortHand can help you…
Think Build Test Host
Specify the product
• Define Strategy
• Define Concept &
Design & Integrate
• Back & Front End
• App Technical
• Integration with
Organise and train
• Define the
• Train the Team to
Run the Service
Deploy & Manage
• Cloud powered
• App Store