10 reasons why social media for brands is failing in Asia
Hi...now that we are going to spend the next 45 minutes
together, let’s get to know each other a bit more... I head Pi
Social Media, a 360 degree social media & digital marketing
agency based in Singapore. More info about what we do can
be found at www.pisocialmedia.com
I love digital media and sharing insights based on user
behavior and our interaction with technology !
You can find me on social media (of course!) @
There’s things within technology that has enabled us to organize and
connect, and create in a way that was never imagined before, and that’s the
beauty of it [...] It also brings out our flaws as a culture, and as a society.
– Sascha Lewis. co-founder & CEO, Flavorpill Media
Up to 50% of mobile banner ad
clicks are accidental
Asia Pacific region
52.2% of global
social media users
Active monthlysocial mediausers rose 23%across SoutheastAsia in a year(We are Social)
34% users don’t trust
banner ads at all
THE BAD THE UGLY
10 top reasons WHY
Social Media for Brands is Failing in Asia
#1. Aping the “West”
Where does this stem from ?
1. The ‘play-it-safe’ mindset
2. One-size-fits all theory
3. Outsourcing creativity ( the easy way out )
What would be the preferred approach?
1. Ask if the audiences are similar ?
2. What were the insights of such a campaign ?
3. What can I do to improve this idea, make it simple, zippier and so on!
#2. Jaded consumers no longer respond to bought media
What are the reasons for this ?
1. Digital advertising being treated as traditional media
2. Complete & total ad-fatigue
3. Disconnected campaigns, poor creatives, lack of user
understanding...the list is long.
What would work?
1. Hyperlocal, targeted ads with awesome creatives of course!
2. Work harder for earned media with creative campaigning and
#3. More ‘strategy’, less ‘heart’
1. A genuine connect with the audience.
2. A voice and personality the audience can relate to. Its either too
chirpy or too official.
So how does a brand work around it ?
1. Data alone can only go so far. Go with the gut.
2. Familiarity with the local market, their likes and dislikes make the content human.
3. Humour, warmth, compassion, empathy with causes you believe in always shines through.
Thanks for your interest in our webinar.
To see a video of the full webinar, as well as
other webinars from Pi Social Media, head on to: