Free Tools for Keyword
– Webmaster Tools
• search traffic- top queries
– Google Analytics
• acquisition- keywords
– Internal Site Search
• if enabled
– Google Autocomplete
• for variations on a keyword
– Uber Suggest
• http://ubersuggest.org/, and others like it
– Google Ad Tool
• suggested queries
Paid Tools for Keyword
Bucket the types of content you
have on site
Cross reference against keyword
Make note of pages that support
the keywords you want to target
Identify gaps & opportunities
Keyword: food gifts for the holidays
Only existing content:
Step 4: Analysis of need states
A way of understand the topology
of the market, and the driving
needs that determine brand choice
in a particular market.
Shopper/buyer need states
Different need states lend
themselves to different content
Healthy Snack Options
Snack of the
After identifying pages to be
improved or created, identify what
type of content you are creating to
meet the need state of the keyword
targeted on that page.
What is the keyword intent/need state?
What kind of content would support that?
What does that look like?
Familiarity- Healthy Snack Options:
– Articles on healthy sweet and savory snacks
– Video tutorials on preparing healthy snacks
– Food pyramid and nutritional serving
– Resources for how to meal plan, and
incorporate snacks into a day to day menu
– Expert nutritionist interviews about snacks,
food, and making time to exercise.
Now that you have all that data, try
to forget it at least a little bit, and
think about the user.
What types of content are most
Think beyond the blog post
– Tutorials: illustrated, video, step-by-step, etc.
– Interviews: with experts, customers, etc.
– Resources: lists of related industry vendors,
upcoming events, tools, etc.
– Guides: buying guides, care guides, gift
– Interactive Pieces: quizzes, guides,
resources, contests, etc.
– Photo Series: behind the scenes, upcoming
work, employee spotlights, etc.
For the love of dog, please don’t automate
your outreach programs.
Don’t discount the possibility of paid
promotion for boosting good content
– Give yourself a solid base for any strategy by
really doing your keyword research.
– The more competitive analysis you can do,
the easier finding the gaps in the market and
your own content will be.
– A need state analysis will be the framework
for how you build your content.
– Think beyond the blog post.
– Promote as an individual.