GDPR AND IDENTITY MANAGEMENT
THE KEY TO DELIVERING A 5*
PRESENTED BY PAUL LAUGHLIN
Customer insight expert & Managing Director
Following 25 years creating value from data for Lloyds, I now help businesses improve their
customer insight and CX
• “Health check” diagnostic on your company’s
Customer Insight capability (gap analysis).
• Customer Insight Strategy development.
• Conduct Risk and Customer Insight training.
• Consultancy Skills training for analysts.
• Career paths for customer insight roles.
• Leadership coaching, working with customer
insight leaders, to realise their potential and
maximise team value-add.
• The complexity of your digital customers.
• The difficulties they experience switching devices/channels.
• What they do as a result.
• The erosion of trust and impact on data sharing.
• Reestablishing trust and the risk of ‘the dark side’.
• The opportunity of a Virtuous Cycle of improvement.
• Opportunities presented by GDPR and Internet of Things.
• The role of Identity Relationship Management.
• A positive case study.
EXPERIENCE OF DIGITAL SERVICES IS ONLY ‘SATISFACTORY’,
WHICH WON’T DRIVE LOYALTY
How easy was it to achieve what you wanted?
ESPECIALLY WHEN CONSUMERS NEED TO SWITCH DEVICES,
THERE ARE COMMON IRRITANTS
When using multiple devices, have you experienced...?
WHEN REGISTRATION OR LOGIN ARE THAT DIFFICULT,
THERE ARE OFTEN CONSEQUENCES
When regisering/logging-in, have you...?
I’VE WORKED IN CORPORATE IT:
SO, I SYMPATHISE, IT’S NOT EASY TO FIX
THIS POOR DIGITAL EXPERIENCE MATTERS EVEN MORE,
BECAUSE IT’S ERODING TRUST
Satisfactory Diﬃcult Abandon
Variation in Trust Score by CX Ease Rating
SO, AS CONSUMER DATA BECOMES EVER MORE PRECIOUS,
WHAT DO PEOPLE WANT IN RETURN?
Ease Deals Personalisation Relevance Recommendations
For which would you be willing to share your personal data?
BEYOND EASE, LESS TRUST = MORE DATA MONETISATION,
MORE TRUST = OPPORTUNITY TO ADD VALUE
Distrust Little Trust Some Trust Mainly Trust Trust Completely
For which would you be willing to share your personal data? (Split by Trust Score)
THERE IS A ‘DARK SIDE’ TO NOT
CLOSING THIS TRUST GAP
Academic study has found an increasing
instance of ‘bad behaviour’:
• Firms using data to manipulate
customers (e.g. dynamic pricing).
• Customers sabotaging by providing
deliberately false data.
• Customers learning rules and gaming
the system through use of false data.
GREATER TRUSTIMPROVED CX DESIGN
MORE DATA SHARED
BUT THERE IS A POSITIVE ALTERNATIVE:
THE VIRTUOUS CYCLE OF DATA VALUE EXCHANGE
GDPR compliance required by 25th May 2018:
• Potential fines (€20m or 4% global t/o).
• Few consumers aware of new rights
• Many marketers won’t be ready (32%).
NEW CHALLENGES ALSO MEAN NEW OPPORTUNITIES: GDPR
But, rather than being compliance checklist,
GDPR can oﬀer an opportunity to implement
• Permission-based marketing (transparency).
• Customer ownership of their own data.
• Whole business conversation is needed
and joined-up planning for success.
THE WORLD OF DATA SHARING IS
ALSO ABOUT TO GET MORE COMPLEX:
INTERNET OF THINGS
• Take up is still niche, but growing, with fitness trackers
• Press scare stories have potential to worsen public
confidence in data sharing from devices.
• Winning in deploying ‘smart’ technology will require:
• Use of IoT and Machine Learning.
• User centred design.
• Transparency of data sharing.
• Bose and Apple speaker approaches.
THE KEY ROLE OF IDENTITY RELATIONSHIP MANAGEMENT &
THE BUILDING BLOCKS YOU NEED
Beyond CRM to IRM, giving:
• easy secure
• customer visibility/
control of data
• transparency of use
• control of their permissions
• Compliant data capture
• Access for customers to see/correct
• Access for customers to
• Single Customer View (inc. virtual)
• Personalisation capability
• Ability to manage identities
AFTER THE WORRYING STATS, A
POSITIVE EXAMPLE OF CHANGING TO
WIN IN THIS NEW WORLD
CONCLUSIONS, FROM ALL WE’VE SHARED
• Customers are increasingly using multiple devices/channels.
• Poorer digital experience is eroding trust.
• Some switch provider and never come back to your brand.
• GDPR will increase awareness of privacy but few are ready.
• To re-establish trust with your consumers, embrace virtuous cycle.
• Identity Relationship Management can be a key component.
• MyBBC provides a positive example of embracing opportunity.
QUESTIONS AT THE TABLE
• How easy do your customers find your digital services?
• Do you know what your customers do in response to poor Digital CX
(like difficulty switching devices)?
• How are you preparing for GDPR?
• How could you embrace the opportunity for a Virtuous Cycle?