Any company operates in a larger macro
environment of forces that shape
opportunities and pose threat to the
There are six major forces in the
company’s macro environment:
Demography is the study of human populations in terms of
size, density, location, age, gender, occupation, etc.
Demography environment is of major interest to marketers
because it involves people and people make up markets.
• Mobile industries launches handsets based on occupation.
• They also launches its product according to location.
• Sometimes industries launches its product keeping
gender factor in mind.
The economic environment consists of factors that affect
consumer purchasing power and spending patterns.
Marketers must pay close attention to major trends and
consumer spending patterns.
• As far as mobile industries are concerned, the
economic system is critical as it can control what the
organization is to produce, how it should produce and
the category of recipient who should use their end
• Nokia has launched new handset Lumia 1020 in US not
in India as company is focusing more on low budget
handsets for India.
This environment is also very important from company’s
point of view because marketing decisions are strongly
affected by developments in the political environment.
It consists of laws, government agencies and individuals in
a given society. Any political decision can affect market.
• In Egypt and Libya there are ongoing a political riot and in
this situation Nokia company decreased their market.
• Samsung violated a host of Apple patents and engaged in
Cultural factors strongly affect how people think and
how they consume.
This environment is made up of institutions and other
forces that affect society’s basic values, perceptions,
preferences and behaviors.
• Mobile industries operates in a diverse number of culture.
• Mobile industry puts one local language in their handsets.
• Marketing strategy depends sometimes on the culture.
The natural environment involves the natural resources
that are needed as inputs by marketers or that are
affected by marketing activities.
Mobile industries are continuously improving the
environmental credentials of all their product like:
• Improving energy efficiency.
• Using renewable materials and smart packaging.
• Making eco friendly products.
Mobile industries being eco-friendly
Energy efficiency: automatic screen brightness
adjustment, battery saver feature, energy
Materials: free of PVC, Contains bio plastics &
recycled metals, Free of nickel on the product
Recycling: 100% recoverable as materials and
Packaging: 100 % recyclable, minimized
package made of renewable materials
containing up to 60% recycled materials, Virgin
wood fibers up to 100% certified.
Today technological advances are perhaps the most
dramatic forces affecting today’s marketing strategies.
Forces that are creating new technologies are also
creating new products and market opportunities.
The mobile phone in our hand is now packed with
advanced tools that let you do so much more.
• Nokia launched wireless charging phone.
• Samsung launched phones with HD sensitive
• Recently Nokia launched phone with 41 megapixel
• Sony launched a phone which is dust and