Parallel Wireless Band 14 Case Studies at IWCE 2016
Deploying at the speed of dispatch.
• Four years reinventing Public Safety LTE
• Multiple global public safety and military
• Virtualize away the complexity of high-end
commercial grade cellular.
• Cut 80% of cost: keep FirstNet on budget
• Enables new public safety topologies
• Echoes PC revolution underestimate:
“Why would first responders need more than
40,000 base station radios?”
How about one in every fire truck?
Implications for Public Safety
• Parallel enables FirstNet to stay on budget
• City of Nashua (NH) P25 LMR upgrade > $8M.
Drains budget! No data services!
• Build out FirstNet in Nashua for < $1M
• Why data? Images, maps. Stadium drowns voice
• Old choice: Local control or regional
redundancy? Now…have both!
• LMR integration allows transition to LTE one
radio, one agency at a time.
Parallel Wireless Public Safety LTE
US DoD and DHS
and at JIFX military
LTE at 45 MPH!
and US at CAUSE II
Sheriff installs RAN
on flagpole - 15 min.
Part of the
for US FirstNet
Demonstrated as an
of Cisco’s Public
Disaster City and
Indian Military at
selected by public
safety network in
Live public safety
LTE Band 14
network at Super
20 days from
Deployed at MACC
base to demonstrate
interop, ease of
deployment, and rural
/ in-building / mobile
LTE North America Awards nominee
High-end commercial LTE wireless.
Approaching the cost and ease of Wi-Fi
• 20 minutes for FBI network techs to install
Parallel’s LTE network at Super Bowl City
• Tough LTE smart handsets ($650) vs voice
only LMR ($3,500)
• Commodity computing changed public safety
& military. Wireless networks are next.
First, commodity computing,
Super Bowl 50:FBI technicians
install LTE network
FBI: Can Parallel build Super Bowl City network?
• NFL proposed radios in north and south
scoreboards - then shifted to SuperBowl City
• 20 days to deploy, 14 days to license, three days
to ship, 20 minutes to install
• Backhaul to Houston EPC (with local backup too)
• Need power and Internet…or just vehicle power
• SB50 carriers required a year of planning
• Software from Parallel Wireless (not field staff)
tunes power, sector
• Interoperable between agencies
Milford Area Communications Center (MACC) Base
Providing Band 14 LTE for public safety in rural NH
Shortlisted for LTE North America Awards
for Most Innovative LTE service.
• Build hybrid carrier and dedicated Band 14 LTE
network to cover the MACC base area (four
rural towns in NH)
• Coverage anywhere with outdoor and in-vehicle
nodes intelligently orchestrated
• Converge LMR voice and data networks
• Demonstrate secure access to FBI CJIS data,
data communications, continuous video link
between dispatch center and mobile law
• MACC (Milford Area Communications Center) Base Public Safety LTE field trial in NH, US
demonstrated easy to install and maintain resilient public safety HetNet in rural US.
• MACC base personnel benefited from resilient voice and data in-building and remote coverage
enabled by intelligently orchestrated fixed & in-vehicle small cells with LMR/PMR interoperability
Bring Your Own
Public Safety LTE in NH trials Parallel Wireless' mesh-enabled intelligently
orchestrated mobile/fixed small cells
Band 14 Roadshow – Apply Today
Win a week rental to test Band 14 in your area
• You saw it deployed at Super Bowl under 20 minutes,
now you can DIY (deploy it yourself) and trial real Band
14 network in your area:
• Self configuring
• Instant coverage
• Apply today. Win a week rental for Band 14 in your area
• No need for big systems integrators to build Band 14
• Allows you to be a part of critical migration path
Making public safety LTE as easy
and cost-effective as Wi-Fi.
Steve Kropper, VP
617 306 9312