• E-commerce company
based in Seattle, WA.
• Amazon was one of the
first big companies to
sell goods over the
• Was founded by Jeff
Bezos in 1994.
• First came out as an
online book store.
• Produces consumer
• Was named after the
Amazon River, but then
renamed after the
legendary nation of
female warriors in
About Jeff Bezos
• Was born January 12, 1964
• Played a important role in e-commerce as the founder and CEO of
• Graduated Princeton University in 1986.
• His business was set up in his garage in 1994.
• Named Time magazine’s “Person of the year” in 1999.
• He is a member of the Executive Committee of The Business Council.
• In 2008, he was selected by U.S News & World Report as one of America's
• One of the wealthiest people in the world with an estimated net worth of
US 22.1 billion.
What is Amazon.com and how does
• Amazon.com is a global website where thousands of
merchants sell products through Amazon.com
• A full online retail store center. It allows anyone to buy
or sell books, movies, clothes, toys, etc.
• It is divided into 2 sections. First one is for new
products and another where it can be used and in good
condition to be sold.
• Then you can choose your product and place it into
your online cart and check out with your card, to
confirm your purchase and let them deliver to you.
• A businessman by the name of Nick Hanauer believed in
Bezo’s idea and invested in $40,000 for his project.
• Another man, Tom Alberg decided to invest in $100,000
in Amazon in 1995.
• By 1997, Amazon.com had generated
$15.7 million in revenue. The same year,
they decided to add CDs and movies to
• In 1998, Amazon added some new
categories to the site as example:
software, electronics, video games, toys,
and home improvement items.
• In 2001, Amazon had a
financial loss of $1.4
billion, and had laid off
over 200 workers in the
last year. In the
beginning of 2001 found
Amazon laying off even
more workers, totaling
Bezos had an idea to
companies to sell
their products online
through Amazon. The
idea worked and so
companies such as
Target, Toys R Us,
Old Navy, and many
others have agreed
to sell their items