How to report a bug?
There is only one rule in the world of testing:
There is no mercy.
Why you should care about good bug
• save time for communication (e-mails, calls),
• less work for developers (they will do exactly what
• less stress in the project,
• bug will be ﬁxed faster,
• PM will not get angry.
The name should contain short deﬁnition of a bug.
Example bug names:
1. Fonts are not rendering correctly on Internet
2.There is a big gap between main section and footer
3. Footer links have missing hover.
4. Article picture is overﬂowing the post content.
5.Dropdown ﬁeld is too short.
The name can have short preﬁx describing location
or functionality related with the bug.
[TEMPLATE / FUNCTIONALITY]
Example bug names with preﬁxes:
1. [CONTACT FORM] Inputs have no left/right
2.[HOME PAGE] Slider doesn’t work
3. [ARTICLE DETAILS] Title has wrong color
4. [GALLERY PAGE] Photos are stretched
5.[PARTNER LIST] Logos are cut oﬀ on the bottom
The name can have short suﬃx describing situation
when bug appears.
Example bug names with suﬃxes:
1. [CONTACT FORM] Wrong message is displayed
when sending the form.
2.[PASSWORD RESET] Error 404 appears when
submitting the form.
3. [NEWS DETAILS] Underline is displayed when
mouseovering on the back button.
4. [COOKIE BAR] Notiﬁcation doesn’t disappear after
clicking close button “x”.
Bug description should contain informations about
reproducing of the bug and suggestions for correct
Bug description should contain informations about:
• Detailed description: give as many details as possible. Using non-
technical language is perfectly ﬁne but, please include the most important
information and keywords related to the bug.
• Media: don’t forget to add screenshot(s) or video.
• Link: where bug appears.
• Your Browser & OS version: you can use yourbrowser.is tool to make
• Steps to reproduce: step by step list how to reproduce bug.
• Actual result: how it works/looks now.
• Expected Result: how it should work/look.
• Login Data (if needed).
A picture is worth a thousand words.
Use JING for screenshots and screencasts, it’s a
great app and it’s totally free.
With JING you can:
• control the size of the screenshot area,
• easily add arrows, captions and shapes to your
• instantly share the screenshot with public link,
• paste a link of your screenshot (it’s automatically added to
• keep the history of taken screenshots on your JING
• you can even record short movies (screencasts).
[MY ACCOUNT] Underline is displayed when mouseovering on the
Description: We need to remove underline when mouseovering on Update button in
My Account section.
Browser / OS: Chrome 25, OSX Yosemite 10.10.2
Steps do reproduce:
1. Go to www.test.com
2. Login via login credentials
3. Navigate to My Account
4. Mouseover on Update button
Actual result: there is underline.
Expected Result: no underline.
Login Data: firstname.lastname@example.org / mysecretpass12
What NOT TO DO?
• Don’t write about your dissatisfaction and don’t include your
personal feelings: we need only good description of a bug, not a CRY
• Don’t use emoticons: It’s extremly annoying for people who want to
focus on the task when you overload your post with bunch of
• Don’t overload your post with exclamation points: it does not speed
up the work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
• Don’t blame anyone: Nobody wants to feel oﬀended, it destroys
motivation and slows realisation of the issue.
• Don’t type in ALL-CAPS: Just DON’T.
• Don’t break the line every 3 words.