• What is CRISPR Technology?
• Clustered Regularly
• CRISPR/Cas system is
used for genome editing.
• CRISPRs are segments of prokaryotic DNA
containing short repetitions of base sequences.
• CRISPR/Cas system is a prokaryotic
immune system that confers
resistance to foreign genetic elements
such as phages.
• Much easier to design compared to its
predecessors zinc finger nucleases and
• Spacers are fragments of DNA gathered from the
viruses that had tried to attack the cell.
• CRISPR loci range from 24 to 48 bp.
• CRISPR-associated(cas) genes are attached
to the repeater-spacer array.
Action of CRISPR
The CRISPR immune system works to protect
bacteria from repeated viral attack via three basic
(2) Production of CRISPR RNA
CRISPR system are advantageous for
industrial processes that utilize bacterial
CRISPR-based immunity can be employed
to make these cultures more resistant to
viral attack, which would otherwise impede
Eg: Streptococcus thermophilus, which is
used to make yogurts and cheeses.
Treatment of genetic diseases.
To make more specific antibiotics that
target only disease-causing bacterial
strains while sparing beneficial bacteria.
Researches are being carried out to
make WBCs resistant to HIV infection.
Jennifer Doudna ,Emmanuelle Charpentier and Feng Zhang
• Horvath P, Barrangou R (2010). "CRISPR/Cas, the immune
system of bacteria and archaea". Science 327 (5962): 167–70
• Sawyer E (9 February 2013). "Editing Genomes with the
Bacterial Immune System".Scitable (blog). Nature Publishing