The Role of Multimedia to Virtual Reality
Presented by Ox H. Pulido
May 18, 2017
• The agenda of this presentation aims to discuss the following:
• Discuss Cognitive, Rationalism, Social and Medium theories;
• Influences/impact to multimedia and;
• Usage to the teaching of multimedia.
• Refers to any view appealing to intellectual and deductive reason as the source of
knowledge or justification. Rather than to being a “tabula rasa” to be imprinted with sense
data, the mind is structured by, and responds to mathematical methods of reasoning.
Reality has a rational structure in that all aspects of it can be grasped through
mathematical and logical principles.
• Intuition, knowledge and concepts are innate.
Reality based on math and logic – refers to Virtual Reality created by businesses, IT
engineers and multimedia artists or the so-called internet world which is both mechanical
and digital in nature as it is run by infrastructures or machines that only read bytes made of
number 1 and 0. Computer literate humanity plunged on the web due to its interactive
nature designed and populated by multimedia artists.
Social Cognitive Theory by Albert Bandura
• Observational Learning – behavior is
learned from the environment through the
process of observational learning.
• Mediational Processes – occur between
stimuli and response. These are Attention
(exposure), Retention (remembered),
Reproduction (perform behavior) and
Motivation (the will to perform behavior).
Tutorials from Youtube and eLearning are
examples of Observational Learning wherein
all the users will watch the video and apply it
on his own. The user can repeat the
observed action until he or she perfected the
Social Cognitive Theory by Muzafer Sherif and
• Attitude change is mediated by judgmental processes and
• Receiver’s reaction to a persuasive message communication
will depend centrally on he or she assess the point of view it is
• Ego-involvement – if the person finds the issue has
significance, centered to one’s sense of self, important and
• Assimilation Effect – occurs when the receiver perceives the
message as advocating a position closer to his or her own
position than it actually does.
• Contrast Effect – occurs when the receiver perceive the
message as advocating a position further away from his or her
own position further away his or her own position than it actually
Political campaigns from taglines, prints, photos, video and social
network are used to mediate a political person. Such as Erap para
sa Mahirap, Change is Coming, Make America Great Again.
Medium Theory by Marshall McCluhan, 1969
• This refers to medium as a message. The
personal and social consequences of any
medium – that is, of extension of ourselves
results from the new scale thar is introduced
into our affairs by each any extension of
ourselves or by any new technology.
• Content of any medium is always another
Each media has personality. Pen and ink are used
for dark, macabre or even grotesque illustrations.
Paintings are often vibrant and dynamic. Vector
graphics are mechanical while photo editing is
narcissistic. 2D animation is playful and 3D
animation is hypereal. Mobile photography and
viral videos are content oriented while DSLR and
videography are dramatic.
Synthesis, Multimedia Influence and Usage to
• This virtual reality or the Internet appeals to
human through multimedia. It caught our
attention, embed it our personal system and
even moved our world inside it. Let use
multimedia and tools to contribute to the body of
knowledge rather than feeding human
narcissism, vanity and neuroticism. Let us guide
the succeeding generation who have love for
knowledge arts to use the internet and tools
properly such as to:
• Restore history, preserve culture, encourage
multimedia research, save the environment,
improve technology, resolve present issues and
visualize the future.