History Of The Selfie: A Photo Phenomenon https://theculturetrip.com/north-america/usa/new-york/articles/history-of-the-selfie-a-photo-phenomenon/
If You Thought Selfie Sticks Made You Look Ridiculous, Get Ready for Selfie Shoes! https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/244528
Dear Teachers and students, as announced before, META has initiated a series of projects to enhance our awareness about the importance of active participation and our involvement in community development. If you have already started planning your proposal, film or description for one of these projects, please complete the on-line form to participate! https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSds0YfGhX6J0CQ_6UQmLjUqZDnyBQh5mUFolarRBT-8yTM6WQ/viewform
Teaching English to "Selfie" Generation
TEACHING ENGLISH TO
META Webinars Season 4.1
January 16, 2017 // 16:00 – 17:20
Presenter: Irina POMAZANOVSCHI, META President
Be the end of the webinar participants will be able to:
1. Define “selfie generation” and state its basic features;
2. Formulate their own opinion about the selfie generation;
3. Name most popular coinages of the word selfie;
4. Find out when the first selfie was taken and discuss the
popularity of selfies among Moldovan students;
5. Learn about possible activities with selfies during English classes.
META Webinars SEASON 4
What to expect?
4-5 webinars each month
Interesting topics +
enthusiastic speakers + ideas
worth trying in class
Pre- and post-webinar tasks
At least 75%
participation and 2
HOW DO YOU
UNDERSTAND THE TERM
People have called
selfie-takers Gen Y,
the “iGeneration,” or
“self comes first”
time of “narcissism epidemic
“the current generation “one of the most self-centered, narcissistic, competitive, confident
and individualistic in recent history”
THE SELF(IE) GENERATION
A survey by the Pew Research Center finds that millennials are drifting away from
traditional institutions — political, religious and cultural.
Younger people in general are less likely to say that they are patriotic or religious, but
the gap between millennials and previous generation is greater than the gap between
most other generations.
Selfie-taking is merely another
way to "write" contemporary
Selfie cultivates a visual culture
because it shows not tells how
you’re feeling, where you are,
what you are doing.
We're in the middle of a selfie-
addiction crisis that could be
turning many 20-somethings
into narcissists who lack human
warmth and connection.
The narcissist culture on
cyberspace has firmly
Agree / Disagree
Selfies make up 30% of the photos
taken by people aged 18-24
1. What is a selfie?
2. Why do people take selfies?
3. Do you take selfies? When? Where?
4. Are selfies popular in Moldova? What do you think of this trend?
Are you selfie ready?
The popularity of the word “selfie” can also be
gauged from the fact that Oxford Dictionaries
announced it as the “word of the year” for 2013.
A search on Instagram retrieves almost
270,000,000 images uploaded with #selfie
A selfie taken by Ellen
Degeneres during the
86th Academy Awards broke
the record of most re-tweeted
image, being shared more
than 2,000,000 times before
the ceremony was over and
causing Twitter to collapse for
a short time.
Enjoy REAL Life and REAL Friends!
Vincent van Gogh,
Self-Portrait, c. 1887,
oil on canvas
Lady Portrait Painting
Photographic film and
helfie (a picture of one’s hair)
belfie (a picture of one’s posterior);
a particular activity – welfie (workout selfie)
drelfie (drunken selfie),
items of furniture – shelfie and bookshelfie.
delfie (where the d could stand for dad, dog, double, or rather
melfie, with the m being explained as Monday, moustache, male,
One of the more popular offshoots is legsie, where the photograph is of
a person’s outstretched legs, often with a suitably glamorous
If You Thought Selfie Sticks Made You Look
Ridiculous, Get Ready for Selfie Shoes!
1. wallpaper – sketch the character’s cell phone wallpaper with colored
pencils. Then, explain why this image choice would appeal to the
2. e-mail- this character has just received 2 messages. Thinking back over
the reading, explain which other characters just sent messages to this
character and what is the content of each message.
3. playlist – what three songs would likely be on this character’s playlist. Be
sure to explain your choice as to why these three songs would appeal to
Choose one of the characters and complete
the three steps to show what might have
been on the person’s cell phone. Be sure
your answers are written in complete
Additional EFL Resources
1. Death by Selfie: a conversation lesson -
2. Selfie-Film http://film-english.com/2014/10/06/selfie/
3. The Truth about Selfies and Your Personality - http://esl-voices.com/the-truth-
4. Macmillan Dictionary BuzzWord: selfie (Lesson plan) -
5. The Selfie Revolution http://www.linguahouse.com/worksheet/the-selfie-
6. Database of resources on SELFIE: http://www.henry4school.fr/Sciences/selfies.htm
Moldovan English Teachers’ Association is planning its
annual international conference on the 28-30 of April, 2017.
The general topic of the conference is
“Teaching English to “Selfie” Generation”.
contact us for additional details:
The conference subtopics are as follows:
•Multimedia and web tools in EFL/ESL
•Teaching English to Young Learners and Teenagers
•Teaching Adults in the 21st century
•Teaching Culture at the EFL/ESL lessons
•Teaching Skills for exams
•Teacher Training and Teacher Development and others
We would be extremely glad and honored if
you choose to join our Conference!
Sponsors, partners are also welcome to contribute!
What to expect from 2017 META Conference?
• Learn how to make your classroom activities more interactive,
support literacy and focus on academic integrity;
• Find out useful tips on how to teach English in the most effective
way English to digital natives, “Selfie” generation;
• Gain ideas for assessment using appropriate apps to monitor
• Connect with like-minded educators from all over the world.
Post webinar task
Take a Selfie of you
and your students –
Post it to our
Facebook group and
provide a one
introduction: who are
you and your
students, what do you
have in common.
What song would you
associate with your
selfie? Explain why?
“I, Me, My Selfie Generation!”
“The Self(ie) Generation” , Charles M. Blow.
History Of The Selfie: A Photo Phenomenon
The Oxford Dictionaries Word of the Year 2013 is ‘selfie’
Страсть к селфи, лайкам и репостам: что за этим стоит
THANK YOU FOR